2002 ALH TDI Cranks-No start

mcarthur70

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 jetta wagon
well after getting the car in the garage , i noticed that a mouse or a squirrel has chewed my hood insulation right over the top of my air filter intake box and made a big hole in it ! is there anything on the drivers side that might have been chewed on that might not let this car start ? like wires to something to maf or anything you guys can think of ? thanks for the help

Rxfire

Veteran Member
TDI
2 each 03 5 speed Jetta wagons, 1 NA Isuzu P'up (a keeper)
I guess we have 2 "No Start" cars in this thread...

The Injector Pump seals issue hits every fall/winter. Look under the Injector Pump, almost behind and below it. See any "pooling" of fluid in the little grooves? See any spots of fuel on the coolant hose? If you prime the pump, and then crank the car with injector nuts loosened, and it does not squirt out of the injector nuts area, the fuel has likely not stayed in the pump due to seals leaking.

For mice in cars (also available on Amazon, etc etc):

https://www.earthkind.com/fresh-cab/

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Yes i pre filled the filter .. pulling it in the garage and go over everything under the hood .. was to dark last night .. maybe i can find whats going on with it .. i also checked the timing belt it is in tack. 190000 miles never had any trouble like this before. Another question , when you loosen the fuel lines at the top of the injectors and you crank it i am getting fuel bubbling out of all 4 injectors . or should it stream out ? thanks for the help..

I am gonna say it since you are a newbie...

You should start your own thread. You will get more help than hijacking one.

mcarthur70

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 jetta wagon
well there is not any evidence of a leak at the injector pump .. it was replace 105000 miles . my next step is to pull a vacuum from tank to filter . and see if i get fuel . the injector tops are not leaking a lot of fuel when i loosen them just a little . can the pick up in the tank be clogged up and preventing fuel to get picked up? is this rare or common ? thanks

mcarthur70

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 jetta wagon
ok i didnt mean to hihg jack this , we are having the same problems just thought we could help each other . ill start a new one .

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Is there anything on the drivers side that might have been chewed on that might not let this car start ? like wires to something to maf or anything you guys can think of ? thanks for the help
I would think any electrical issues would throw a code.
Maybe check getting power to the solenoid on the injection pump while the engine is cranking.

RallySport

TDI
2002 Golf TDI ALH
Pulled the starter out just now. Piece of cake when you know what you're looking for.

The positive battery cable lead to the starter looked like it had some corrosion on it so I will be cleaning that up before I install new starter.

More to come. Stay with me

RallySport

TDI
2002 Golf TDI ALH
Threw a starter in the car. Still could not pill fuel through to the injection pump. So from my diagnosing I believe I need injection pump seals. I brought the car to the nearest TDICLUB certified mechanic.

Martin Bergel LLC in fowlerville Michigan. I talked to Marty and he also thinks the IP seals are the culprit but he is going to go through all of the things I went through already to make sure I didn't miss something.
I'm also having him put a TB in the car since he only wants 200 bucks. He's going to do the IP seals out of the car, and put a TB in for 450 labor I have to supply all parts. So for about 750-800 bucks I should have this all fixed with a fresh TB. I don't think he's touched my car yet since I don't have the parts yet. I will let you guys know what he finds.

Thanks for everyone's help.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Only because this thread seems a bit scattered and is still active I think, Start a New Thread.

RallySport

TDI
2002 Golf TDI ALH
You are welcome on the diagnosis. :)

Talked to Marty, I believe he is a TDIClub member, but dont know his alias. He told me he is also sucking air though the pump(not fuel) so he will be replacing IP seals, and getting a timing belt while hes in there.

THANKS JOKILA! I will let all of you know if the IP seals fixed the no start problem. So anxious!:(

RallySport

TDI
2002 Golf TDI ALH
Update.

Had the IP resealed, had the timing belt replaced with the water pump. New serp belt and tensioner. He called me up YESTERDAY and said the car was good to pick up(with a detailed list of things i need to address) all apparently went well. Car starts and runs how it should. Im about to leave this morning and he calls me and says the injection pump has a leak at the top of the black wire harness area........... are u kidding me!?!?!? What do i do? Am i looking at a whole injection pump? He said it could be because the temperature id's -10 out. Now I'm waiting to hear back from him :(

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
That usually doesn't leak. Usually it's the top cover but if the top cove was just done it could be there.

There are welded connections inside that must be broken to remove that part but I don't see why the seal can't be stretched over the block as is done for the pump head.

RallySport

TDI
2002 Golf TDI ALH
I dont see him fixing this leak without replacing the IP. We will see if Marty finds anything. His TDIClub name is Jetaah.
Wonder if we can help him out

RallySport

TDI
2002 Golf TDI ALH
Shes fixed - IP SEALS

Update 12/31/2017
Okay guys so the car is up and running strong. We waited 1 more day to see if the leak reappeared, and it did not leak, he said he snugged up 4 of the bolts holding the black cover for the wires that go to the QA(atleast thats what i think it is) and ive been driving it dor 2 days without any issues.

So i believe what fixed my no start was the replacement of the injection pump seals. Dont ask me which ones specifically because i really dont know, i put my faith in Martys knowledge of these cars.

Thank you to all of the people who helped me diag this issue ive learned more and more about my little TDI.

And last but not least- anybody that lives in Michigan, specically central or SE or SW, i reccomend you take your car to Martin Bergel in Fowlerville for any TDI related service. Did a fantastic job on my car. Paid 450 for the IP reseal AND a timing belt!!! I am a technician myself but my current living situation didnt allow me to work on my car this extensively, Marty is your go to guy. And my car just rolled 200K.
YAY!
If this leak issue reappears i will be back here. But for now it drives like a champ again.

Happy New Years folks.

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
That is Great news! I just got my timing belt done a week ago, and feeling great... I set out for an adventure to work on my e brake cables and died going up a mountain. Reading this I think 0°F wrecked my pump seals after 2 hours of high speed motoring

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I set out for an adventure to work on my e brake cables and died going up a mountain.
I bought the new heavier parking brake cables from ID Parts.
It was the easiest upgrade I've done in a long while.
Also 2 helper springs to make sure the calipers don't drag.

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
Nice wonneber! I got those same cables because ice is causing the calipers to stick on. I didn’t get the helper springs, but I may on my next order. I meant to make it to the ho5g event to swap the cables but I broke down on the way. It doesn’t take long to freeze to death in this weather! I’d like an overhead lift to do this job. I hope that cables alone will be sufficient to avoid dragging calipers.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have access to a lift on weekends so it was easy for me. :)
The console was still loose from something I did a few years ago so that was easy to get into. Mostly back together again now.
Those helper springs pop on easy enough when you get them maybe in warmer weather.

2kgolf

TDI
2000 golf
Hey guys so I really need help on this one, first off it's a 2000 golf tdi automatic transmission. It will not run or start. I went through the whole non start thing didnt help. This is what I have done.
1-109 relay it's new and lights on dash work
2- fuel shutoff solenoid works great, tried another one, same
3-mightyvac from the return line after hours opted getting air
4-rebuilt IP with all new seals and polished all parts.
5- all new fuel lines and filter except lines from tank to filter
6- t fitting on filter new
7-new pickup in tank
8-new clear lines inbetween injectors and back to IP
9-checked all wires and plugs on ip
10- timing is perfect, on everything.100%
So right now with the rebuilt pump I can get fuel to squirt out of the cracked injectors but it looks like is has air in it. I constantly get 1 half inch bubble every 12 inches when I mighty vac it, I tried two ip on this car both were resealed. Car starts and runs if you keep spritzing starter fluid in it

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Stop using starting fluid.
You have an air leak, you just have to find it.
Set up a bottle-fed system to feed fuel to the IP and see if it works from that.