Just did an 800 mile tank on my BMW 328d

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
This is the first long trip (~1100 mile one way) I've taken with my 328d and color me completely impressed!

Cruising all day at~75MPH it'll get 50mpg with no problem. Best tank I got was my last tank, 52.7mpg calculated (53.3mpg was what the dash computer said) and the fuel light didn't come on until ~790 miles into the tank. I could have easily squeaked out 840 miles but alas, I was at the end of my trip.

Here was my route. A Petro-Canada station on Rt 11 in Ontario, Canada to a Sheetz station in Raleigh, NC. For sure it helped that a good bit of my route was not interstate, but still I never could have done even close to that with my Golf...
And the aftermath on the car (not seen: immense amounts of dust from a gravel road on the Canada side of my trip):

Byarb209

TDI
2015 golf sportwagen
I was about to pull the trigger on one of those sexy beasts myself. Alas I settled for the golf sportwagen. If I could get a wagen 328d for even close to the vw I would have bought it. Let us know if the maintenance costs are high?? I've heard nightmares about that ??

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
I also wanted the 328d wagon, but as you say, they are $$$ They are all also xDrive, and I didn't want xDrive, so the sedan is what I am "stuck" with.

Maintenance costs are certainly higher than VW, but it's not like VW maintenance is cheap. I get one free maintenance from BMW and then I'm on my own. I plan on doing all the oil/filter changes myself, so I don't think it'll be that much worse than my VW. The expense comes when there's a problem, we'll see!

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
My sister paid $1000 for the 30K mile check up on her BMW in Southern California. Don't know what a VW dealer charges for a 30K checkup.
I know my VW dealer wanted $150 for just an oil change. I never took my Golf to the dealer after that.

And when did BMW get rid of the free maintenance up to 50k miles? My car includes it even though I didn't buy it new...

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
800+ miles.. Very nice!
I'm happy to get a 600 mile tank in my 2014 328d XDrive. Still love the car though.
I'm at 47300 miles and will be getting her into BMW soon to go over any needed maintenance.

@tomo366 - How pricey was the cost of extending until 2020?

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
I know my VW dealer wanted $150 for just an oil change. I never took my Golf to the dealer after that.

And when did BMW get rid of the free maintenance up to 50k miles? My car includes it even though I didn't buy it new...
She has had the car for a number of years and does not drive it very much at all. Her last BMW was 18 or 20 years old when she got rid of it and only had 90K miles on it.
This one is a 328 hard top convertible about 7 or 8 years old. Was 2 years old with only 4K miles on it when she got it. Belonged to her boss, who got terminal cancer when the car was 3 months old.

conejo_a_cuatro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS Silver, 2011 JSW Manual - Bought Back. Now 328d Wagon.
Yep, somehow seemed easier than on the TDIs, maybe I'm just getting more experienced

TOCleanDieselWag

TDI
2017 BMW 328d M Sport Touring (Wagon)
Hi folks! We bought our 2016 at the end of June, and we're really pleased with it. It had been an employee lease vehicle for the service manager of the local BMW dealership. He was quite fussy with the car, so it was in great shape. The M Sport package is a nice upgrade in terms of wheels and suspension. Its a nice car, and so far we're getting in the range of 6.1 l/100 kms, which is very good considering how much heavier the car is vs our Golf, which would turn in 4.5-ish numbers. Glad that BMW avoided the scandal (should we knock on wood??)

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
If you recall, the ICCT/WVU study that discovered the VW TDI cheating issue in the first place also tested a BMW X5 35d (2013 model year IIRC).

The results of the real-world testing in that study showed that the BMW did very well overall, not only with respect to NOx but all other regulated emissions. Remote testing conducted by CARB also has shown that NOx emissions from BMW diesel vehicles are very low, even better that the gasoline fleet on average.

It should also be noted that all BMW diesel vehicles currently available in the U.S. and Canada have both SCR and LNT for NOx emission control, and have since 2014. It has been shown that diesel trucks that use this configuration have a >99% NOx reduction efficiency rate even at cold start.

Last edited:

PeteVinBoston

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Black on Black JSW TDI; 6sp Manual

In 2017, BMW got rid of 4 / 50k service including the breakers and wipers. Only thing to pay was tires. Now it's 3 / 30k, basically routine maintenance. Warranty is still 50k. I got a great deal on a lease after I needed to turn in the Touareg TDI, so am now driving 2017 328xD wagon. It runs great but not worth 2X a JSW TDI.