04 TDI Auto Trans Testing

50mpgtdi

TDI
04 VW Passat TDI
I have the transmission from my 04 Passat TDI that I removed when I did my manual swap. The reason for the swap was because the transmission would not shift correctly. I now wish I would have done a little more testing to verify, but the shifting problems seemed mostly related to the sunroof leaking and ruining the Transmission Control Module when the passenger side floor flooded. I have searched everywhere withing several hundred miles to find a shop with a transmission dyno who would test it for me, but they either don't have the right adapter, or will not test transmissions they have not built. It is a reman transmission that looks like it has not been in the car that long, and the car only had 125k miles on it when removed. Is there any solid way to verify the condition of the trans? I figured I will pull the pan and see how things look in there. If the transmission is bad, will there be signs of such in the pan, or do these not make an internal mess when they fail? I'd love to sell this trans if it is good, it would be a great candidate for someone looking for a cheaper alternative to a reman from a manufacturer.

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
Not a whole lot of places that have transmission dyno's specific for different models. Before Raybestos was bought out by Echlin, where I worked the wet friction side used to use trans dyno's to test friction material but not specific units. We only bought the dry friction side, brakes so I have only that limited info

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I would suggest selling it with the information you just disclosed, for a reasonable price. Chances are, it is fine. Let someone else buy it and run with it. I sold a good used higher mileage one with a replaced converter for $500, just for comparison.

50mpgtdi

TDI
04 VW Passat TDI
I'm thinking that's what I may do. Used ones from scrap yards are unbelievably expensive around here....Cheapest one I can find within 500 miles is over $1300 and has a claimed 199k miles on it!!! And I know a new reman is over $2000. So what is a fair price to ask for this one if everything looks good in the pan? Would $1000 be unreasonable?

oilhammer

TDI
I'm thinking that's what I may do. Used ones from scrap yards are unbelievably expensive around here....Cheapest one I can find within 500 miles is over $1300 and has a claimed 199k miles on it!!! And I know a new reman is over $2000. So what is a fair price to ask for this one if everything looks good in the pan? Would $1000 be unreasonable?

Like I said, I just sold one for $500. And it took me nearly a year to do that. And I KNOW it was good, it was a regular customer, and I drove it into the shop (crashed).

If you can get $1k, that would be great! May be a little optimistic, especially since you cannot guarantee it is even in working order.

The remans are $3346.80, 01V-300-053-BX, GMR code.

50mpgtdi

TDI
04 VW Passat TDI
Hmm....well, I guess we will see what happens! The car drove properly, would shift through the gears nicely, then go into limp mode after about a quarter of a mile and set a bunch of communication codes. I'll search the market again and see what else is out there and decide if my price is a good starting point. I also should check and see if the markings on the trans might indicate where it came from.

oilhammer

TDI
If it is a genuine VAG unit, it would have a white or yellow sticker on the top of the bellhousing, with the above mentioned part number on it.

50mpgtdi

TDI
04 VW Passat TDI
OK cool! Thanks for the info! I'll check it over the weekend when I get to the shop where I have it stored.