Glowplug control

Dave89

TDI
1998 & 1999 Beetle
Hi guys, I currently own a 1998 Red Beetle TDI with 257,000 miles and ive been lurking around here learning stuff for the last few years. But now I'm looking to get into something in a little nicer shape, something that doesn't need a full suspension rebuild, clutch, turbo, and interior refresh like mine does. SO.... that brings me to current position. I found a 1999 Beetle in what appears to be pretty nice shape.

My one concern is the previous owner supposedly had troubles with the glowplugs heating up so he had them wired into a push button on the dash to make them function. How in depth could this problem get for me to get it fixed back up right?

Normally I would dig through all the past posts on here to try and decipher for myself but as its been said in the for sale section clean ALH cars dont stay for sale long so I hate to procrastinate to long if I decide to buy it.

Thanks for any advice guys
Dave

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
On that year the glow plug controller is on the thirteen fold relay panel above your left foot in the dash. Just reverse the wiring that was done, make sure the relay is good, and go from there. If it's clean enough I'd say it's worth getting if you really want to replace your NB.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Worst part would be dissecting what was done. Then you'd need to check that the relay works, do a bit of wiring, be back to factory. Other option is to examine the mod, if it looks clean, leave it be.