2014 Jetta key in the ignition will not turn

Rider_02

TDI
2003 Bora TDI
I have a 2014 Jetta, I put the key in the ignition and it won’t turn. It is not because of the steering wheel lock, I turn the wheel to take pressure off the lock pin, it still won’t turn. I was able to jiggle the key and get it to turn and start the car, but every time I turn the ignition off and try to re start it is the same problem. Is this common? Can I just replace the lock cylinder in the ignition? So far I have been lucky an able to jiggle just the right way that I can turn the key and start the car, but it is getting more difficult to get it to turn.
Thanks for any insight

dmp

TDI
15 Golf, 13 Golf (for sale)
common problem - it's the steering lock mechanism that binds up. Your ignition cylinder most likely isn't the cause (can verify that by removing the cylinder itself and see if it turns freely).

The part isn't coded to the car so just have to strip the column down a bit and get the shear bolts off (get new ones). Bolt it all back up and you should be good

Believe the part number is 1K0 905 851 B but have to verify for your specific car

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Auto or manual? As weird as it sounds the auto shifter could be "bumped" out of park slightly...

as dumb as it sounds it happened to me on a Volvo.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Common problem, dealer stocks the housing. Fix it before your key cylinder (which is VIN specific) gets stuck in there and you have to order one of those too!

Also, there are some very specific details on changing that part. If you do not have access to proper tools or skills or information to tackle this yourself, let someone who does go after it.

I do a boatload of these:

This is just from the last couple months.

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Common problem, dealer stocks the housing. Fix it before your key cylinder (which is VIN specific) gets stuck in there and you have to order one of those too!
Do you know the VIN number range? I just bought a 2011 JSW...

I used to maintain a fleet of City cop cars. Years back when the new Crown Vics first required the brake pedal to be depressed before being able to put in drive, a few of the, shall we say, "lesser thinking" would destroy a similar looking part. We found it to be based on the fact it was trying to get the @!%!! out of park (minus the brake depress). the weak point shall break.

Any similarity's?

P.S. I think the TDI community owes oilhammer a some other regular posters a big thanks for their consistant & dedicated help

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
All of the A5 and NCS cars, but the early A5s (like 2005-06) seem to not have this problem, or at least I have never run across it. But 2008+ it is painfully common.

So yes, your 2011 wagon would fall into this category, unfortunately. :eek:

The replacements are a different manufacturer, not sure if that has anything to do with the issue or not. As in, did they discover a problem and switch, or is it just a case of which plant the cars came from.

If you or anyone wants to try and do this yourself, I will post some pointers here that may make it easier.