Used Jetta Tdi: 2011-2014 vs 2015

DennisATX

TDI
2014 Jetta
Hey all,
I've started looking at getting back into a VW tdi. Loved my pre-dieselgate 2014, but the buyback was just too good to pass. Now looking at them, I'm seeing really good prices on some 2012/2013s. (around $10k CDN for the top level with low mileage)

My question is, for similar cars, the 2015s seem to be a $3-4k more. Are they worth it? I know they have a newly redesigned motor with an extra 10hp and maybe 10-15% better mpg. However, none of this matters much if they are less reliable and/or more expensive to maintain. But if they are less expensive to maintain, the extra cost up front may be worth it.

Thoughts?

ratkc135

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 2015 Passat
I’m with you...I loved my ‘13 Passat but couldn’t pass on the buyback (which was by design by EPA; they wanted to stick it to VW as much as possible). I’ve often wondered about picking up one of these buybacks...but they are only selling a very limited number I think? Guessing it’s too expensive to fix the 350K cars or whatever the number is that are sitting in graveyards...but that’s better for the environment I guess according to EPA. My concern would be were they just thrashed on and best to crap as the owners knew they weren’t going to keep them long term? That would be my fear....

I haven’t researched to see what people are saying about the “fix”...was mpg severely impacted? All the guys I knew with diesel gate cars sold them back so I don’t have any actual data to gather. I wouldn’t care much about the power...it was a long range economy car/commuter...not a sports car that needed to do 0-60 in under 5...just my opinion.

Curious what folks have to say on here about your question...I can’t speak to your exact question unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
If you are considering tuning, and want a car with the DSG gearbox, that might push you toward a 2015.

It seems that the DSG in the 2015 models is better able to handle the higher output of a mild or moderate tune, without additional tweaking or modification.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
When I bought my 2015 there were still a few 2014 on the lots...
The 2015 has slightly more power, 10 hp, a flatter tq band, and revised gearing to match. Similarity it was built from the beginning for more strict emissions....maybe I am lucky, but I get slight better MPG with the "fix" and the shifts have been improving on the dsg since the software updates.
Drive both...see if you notice the differences.
For me when new, the 2015 (pre scandal) was a no brainier...it has a water to air intercooler, so no problems like the earlier ones, where they would get condensation, then freezes up and need to be drained...
IMO it's just a more modern engine, with many fixes learned from the issues of the older cars.

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
Fortunately you live in a warmer climate, so the intercooler icing should be a non-issue. My 2014 Jetta has hyrdolocked twice this winter.

Scheduled maintenance costs will be nearly identical, so I wouldn't buy a 2015 expecting to recoup a $3k-$4k premium from that or the slightly better mileage.

I have a 2014 and a 2015. The differences in the driving characteristics of the two engines are very noticeable. 2014 "feels" like it has more power, while the 2015 seems more smooth and refined.