help, trunk won't open

kr70

TDI
2005 passat tdi, 2013 passat tdi SE
My trunk won't open. Doors unlock and lock. Trunk won't work with either key fob. Is there something on vagcom that will open it or other ways???

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
have to manually pop the rear seats down and crawl through the trunk to hit the manual open from inside.

I had to do this several times when my trunk release actuator was going out and eventually broke.

Just speculating that is what you're dealing with.

Bobmws

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE DSG
As mentioned above, check the valet switch in the glovebox.
Does the trunk release switch on the door work? If the valet switch is off and the door switch does not work you probably have a bad module. Mine was replaced under warranty, both key fobs had to be programmed to the new module, take them with you.
With the doors unlocked, you can manually open the trunk using the rubber covered button above the licence plate, no need to crawl in from the back.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
As mentioned above, check the valet switch in the glovebox.
Does the trunk release switch on the door work? If the valet switch is off and the door switch does not work you probably have a bad module. Mine was replaced under warranty, both key fobs had to be programmed to the new module, take them with you.
With the doors unlocked, you can manually open the trunk using the rubber covered button above the licence plate, no need to crawl in from the back.
...not if the actuator is bad. The rubber covered button is an electrical switch, not a manual one.;)

kr70

TDI
2005 passat tdi, 2013 passat tdi SE
thanks all, my low tire light went on and when I reset (after checking tires) I hit the valet button. Thanks again

jslash

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I love this forum. 3.5 years later but the answers are still helping owners!

Thanks for the easy sollution!

Jim

Sinner

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Cold weather

Hello,

Mine seems to refuse to open on cold weather, like early winter mornings or late at night. Or when parked in the shade on cold days.

It’s annoying, and the dealership has told me that nothing is wrong, but they can replace some parts for $$$

My solution is to keep the trunk in direct sunlight on cold winter days, or use the backseat as a “winter trunk” LOL :D This is North Carolina after all :D