2016 Chevrolet Colorado Diesel

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
Maybe not

It will likely be equipped just like the Cruze - leather, automatic, power everything, navigation. That's how they hide the cost of the diesel engine option and all of its emissions components. If you mate the diesel up with the stripper version of the vehicle, the premium price for the diesel engine makes people balk.
You will be able to equip nearly all versions of Colorado with the diesel engine from stripper fleet work versions up to the top trim levels according to Chevrolet representative. Will see if that actually happens.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
Note to Chevy.....just offer a manual transmission. I know it costs money to get certified.....4x4 Z71 Colorado in that cool Red color Xtended cab with a nice off road tire and a six speed MANUAL....and the diesel would be such a sweet truck....

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
The Fox article says manual in stripper 2WD model only. Who knows, maybe the new GM will offer the manual with every model- if you can get a Cadillac manual tranny, why not a diesel Colorado?

Hopefully this truck will sell very well if GM doesn't screw it up with price and or quality issues. Recent new GM models have been rated very high, the Impala and the GMC and Silverado for instance, plus the Caddys.

This truck may inspire Ford to bring the new Ranger here too and if you look at the new diesel cars/suvs coming on stream, there is hope for many more diesels to pop up.

Hopefully they will not start at a price north of $35/40,000 and be good quality.

Don

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
In the old canyon/Colorado the manual was only available with the base model and 4 cyl in each of the cab designs. Although I'm not sure if there was 4 cyl option in the crew cab. Also, if you wanted the towing package, you had to get the 5 cyl and the auto.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Note to Chevy.....just offer a manual transmission. I know it costs money to get certified.....4x4 Z71 Colorado in that cool Red color Xtended cab with a nice off road tire and a six speed MANUAL....and the diesel would be such a sweet truck....
Yup. If someone had a compact truck with a diesel and manual transmission...I would have likely gone that route (I only looked at my TDI after I processing that I wasn't going to find a compact truck that averaged 20+ MPG).

By the time this thing comes out, I'll likely be tweaking from being truck-less for a few years and might consider trading the TDI in if the fuel economy is anywhere near what the compact diesel trucks get overseas.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Dodge is supposed to release the official EPA numbers on the D1500 diesel this month. It's way too early for GM to speculate on the Colorado EPA numbers with our emissions requirements running on US fuel.

AlcoC420

Veteran Member
TDI
In the old canyon/Colorado the manual was only available with the base model and 4 cyl in each of the cab designs. Although I'm not sure if there was 4 cyl option in the crew cab. ...
In the early years ('04, '05, '06?) GM offered a 5-Speed stick with the Crew Cab, but only with the 4-Cylinder motor (and perhaps the Extended cab was available with the 5-Cyl. and a stick). I test drove two Crews (each with a different rear end ratio), but the ride wasn't much fun and I instead chose the Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 6-Speed w/ 4.0L a year later and still own the truck. GM is also going to have to up its game with the Colorado's interior if they wish to compete. I like the new Colorado exterior and am looking forward to seeing it.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm not sure that the 5 cyl was offered with a manual, but then I wasn't looking that hard at new trucks when they were out. I picked up my used 07 GMC about eighteen months back. With the manual and 4 cyl, I get about 20 mpg running around town. About the only time I take it out of town, I'm towing something.

30_Yr_Dsl_Veteran

banned Ric Woodruff alias account and troll
TDI
2009 Jetta
Yes, you read that right. The new Colorado will come out for the 2015 model year. The diesel won't be ready until 2016. If no other company is going to offer a small P/U with a diesel I will be getting this truck.
I am still waiting for the Mahindra pickup truck w/ Bosche diesel engine to come out!!! It was supposed to happen years ago.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I am still waiting for the Mahindra pickup truck w/ Bosche diesel engine to come out!!! It was supposed to happen years ago.
That was a deal written to fail from the start. They never acquired EPA approval nor a committed dealer support system. After the issues with companies like Daewoo and Yugo, I wouldn't have bought a Mahindra for at least ten years.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Where's that Mazda diesel that was definitely confirmed to be absolutely for sure coming to America a few years ago?

I think I said I'd eat my hat or something?

I didn't have to eat my hat.

jgeorge

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 audi a3 tdi
Don't think we will see Mazda diesels in NA until they get the excessive oil dilution problem solved which has no doubt delayed their entry indefinitely.

tdmsurfguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS Wagon
TDI2000- You asked about FE? My wife and I spent some time in Chile and I purposufully rented a Nissan Terrano (frontier) that was a 2.5L TDI and we drove roughly 1700+miles on our trip and after converting the liter and Km to miles and gallons we averaged over 27 MPG for our whole trip. This was with hauling a 9ft. long surfboard bag hanging out the back, using 4x4 quite a bit and not at all trying to be easy on the throttle.

That said hopefully Chevy will have a imporved motor over what I drove (when asked the 2.5L we had passed cars going up some steep grades easily, it was a manual though) and that the new emission stuff int the exhaust doesn't completly F-up the FE. Also I'm interested in seeing how much of a pain the urea system is.

If chevy can get this truck close to 30 MPG, and i can con my wife to drive a truck around (since I commute in my jetta TDI) and like others said the price is right, I'm in for one of these trucks. I really wish Nissin would get there Sh!t together because I would like that diesel frontier.

As usual we'll all wait and see.

Waldek Walrus

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Beetle TDI
I am not really a truck person. But if Chevy would actually build this truck - with the manual transmission - I might actually bite. Don't know if I would hold my breath though...

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
I doubt you will see a manual box. As I understand it, they have to go through the whole slew of epa emissions tests with auto, and again with the manual. And there is a chance of emissions "burps" on each shift that may make it harder to pass. The slushbox has engine operating more in steady state, easier to tune for emissions there.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
We can hope that perhaps Toyota, Misubushi and Izuzu will bring their diesel pickups over. They've all been making them for years but just not allowing those in North America to buy them.
Except that neither Mitsubishi or Isuzu has sold their own trucks over here for several decades.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Scuttlebutt is that the next Nissan Titan and the next Toyota Tundra are both going to use a smaller-displacement Cummins 4-cylinder diesel in the North American market. Both brands need something to distinguish themselves in this market ...

Isuzu is done like dinner as far as light-duty vehicles are concerned. Mitsubishi as a whole is hanging by a thread in the North American market and the last time they sold a pickup truck in North America, it was a cosmetically-modified Dodge Dakota, which is now out of production.

The "Detroit 3" have the pickup-truck market in North America pretty much locked up. It is an extremely competitive market segment. If Toyota and Nissan can only get tiny fringes of the market, smaller brands like Mitsubishi have no chance. If you look at the current products on the market, there is nothing that screams "buy me" about the Toyota Tundra or a Nissan Titan compared to any of the American full-size models - and the American brands are better in every way that I can think of. The Tacoma and Frontier have had their slice of the slightly-smaller-than-full-size market - but I think the new Canyon/Colorado is a better product.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
5.0L V8 Cummins ISV

Scuttlebutt is that the next Nissan Titan and the next Toyota Tundra are both going to use a smaller-displacement Cummins 4-cylinder diesel in the North American market. Both brands need something to distinguish themselves in this market ...

Isuzu is done like dinner as far as light-duty vehicles are concerned. Mitsubishi as a whole is hanging by a thread in the North American market and the last time they sold a pickup truck in North America, it was a cosmetically-modified Dodge Dakota, which is now out of production.

The "Detroit 3" have the pickup-truck market in North America pretty much locked up. It is an extremely competitive market segment. If Toyota and Nissan can only get tiny fringes of the market, smaller brands like Mitsubishi have no chance. If you look at the current products on the market, there is nothing that screams "buy me" about the Toyota Tundra or a Nissan Titan compared to any of the American full-size models - and the American brands are better in every way that I can think of. The Tacoma and Frontier have had their slice of the slightly-smaller-than-full-size market - but I think the new Canyon/Colorado is a better product.
Titan is using V8 diesel Cummins. This is confirmed.
Tundra is speculated to be using the SAME 5.0L Cummins V8 in Tundra. Neither Tundra nor Titan will use 4 cylinder Cummins diesel.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
My bad. The Frontier concept recently shown was using the 4-banger. Tundra/Titan are planned to be using the V8.

One wonders if this means they'll be building heavy-duty versions of those trucks. That engine is a lot bigger than the one the Ram full-size is using. The bigger diesels in the American brands are all in 3/4 ton or bigger.