A5-can't roll windows down immediately after start?

chimmike

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 A5
Anyone have this issue? I have to wait like a good 10 seconds after starting the car before it'll let me roll down the windows?

And if I turn off the climatronic or whatever, just want to roll windows open, I can't turn on the recirc button so heated air isn't pumped at me thru the vents..........vag-com for that?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
The first one is kinda strange. I'd defiantly look for fault codes and also see if there is something in the windows controller coding that isn't right with VCDS (Vag-com) As I recall, there is a long coding helper for the windows controller, so figuring out the coding would be simple. just make sure you write down what the settings are before you change anything.

Also, there is an electrical load shedding relay that drops some of the electrical loads when you go to start. If you have the heater fan on high and go to start, does the heater fan cut out and not come back on for those 10 seconds, as well?

What is the condition of your battery? Could it have a low charge or be ready for replacement? Sometimes low battery voltage will cause some pretty strange problems.

The second one is probably normal. If you turn off the heater, recirc as well as the A/C won't work. Try leaving the fan on 1. Also, the recirc will not work if you are set to defrost. Do you have climatic or climatronic? Climatronic has left and right temp read outs and can be individually set for the left and the right.

Last edited:

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Like Ol' Rattler suggested, check for DTCs in the door modules if you have access to VCDS.

You may just need to perform Window Adaptation. If you have disconnected the battery or it has went dead in the past, this may be the ticket. If not, try it anyway. It's free :)

Roll all the windows up. Individually, roll each window down by holding the button down. Keep the button held down for about 5-10 seconds after the window is all the way down. The roll that window back up again, while holding the button and keep holding it for 5-10 seconds after the window is up. This process tells the window motors the exact length of travel for the windows among other things. Do this for all four windows and see what happens.

chimmike

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 A5
it's climatronic. I haven't used the heat on this car yet, I'm in FL :)
I guess I could put it on 'econ' mode as I read somewhere that doesn't utilize the a/c compressor. My deal is, sometimes I just don't want to use the a/c. But I don't want the fan running. I just want recirc so the only 'fresh' air entering is through the windows.

The battery isn't the freshest, no, so that could be an issue.

05_new_jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
MKV Jetta TDI
I know if your battery is low enough it will cut power to accesories until the charge is good enough to use them, I had something similair happen to mine once.

chimmike

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 A5
I think that's what's happening. I tried starting the car without the a/c on and i could roll down the windows immediately. Just pulling too many amps initially.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
05_new_jetta said:
I know if your battery is low enough it will cut power to accesories until the charge is good enough to use them, I had something similair happen to mine once.
If your diagnosis is correct, that's useful as a weak battery or leakage current indicator. Does it warrant entry into the Easter Egg list?

05_new_jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
MKV Jetta TDI
MyAvocation said:
If your diagnosis is correct, that's useful as a weak battery or leakage current indicator. Does it warrant entry into the Easter Egg list?
I'm not sure what you asking.. I had a weird episode once with something draining my battery for a few days and when I went out to my car none of the leaving home lights came on but the car started and soon after everything fired up and worked fine.. I still have the original battery in my car and it still works fine.

abarns

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1
Mine has started this behavior with the windows lately, but the front windows always work, it's just the back windows (sometimes one, sometimes both) that refuse to roll down for a few seconds. I take pretty good care of the battery so I hope it's not weak, though I suppose that is possible...

As for the recirc w/o the A/C on- I don't think it will let you do it, the assumption being that if you did it with the windows up it would cause them to fog in almost all conditions.