timing belt tensioner >>>>>>>>>>

melanie

TDI
passat
Hi folks, I've just had my T/B done (full genuine kit from the dealer) my car is a 2004 passat. Engine code AVF and same as the AWX if thats any help! it's the same type tensioner as you folks in the states/canada put on your golfs. Anyway whats happening, is when the tensioner is tensioned to it's position and you start the engine it seems to vear off to the right slightly (pointer goes to the right hand side of the recess and stays) NO matter how many times it re-done. Yes the proper tools were used to lock things up. Is this normal?
Thanks in advance
Melanie. :)

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Staying is not normal. Moving during running operation is normal. If you watched it at idle you see a little movement. If you have an assistant tap the go pedal a bit you'd see more movement.

If you're saying it goes to one extreme and stays there, even when the engine slows down or stops, then something isn't right. When you say "No matter how many times it re-done", have they tried a different tensioner or just retensioning the same one?

The closest engine comparison for the States is the BHW engine in the 04-05 Passats.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Can you share what the problem was in case someone else runs into this?

melanie

TDI
passat
Yes of course, I got a local mechanic to have a look and he confirmed everything was ok. he said that the tensioner does move about and what it was doing was normal! that's about it mogolf really, It was more of me getting paranoid reading about lister tensioners failing on here that did it.
thanks again for your help.
mel.