Hot start issue on BHW MK4 Jetta

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
It cranks a little slow at first, almost as if something in the engine is binding, or the starter itself.

Also would be good to see what the battery voltage drops to during cranking. Then also making note if you have a voltage drop between the battery and the starter when cranking (place one lead on battery, other lead on starter, the voltage measured there during cranking is your voltage drop--i.e how much voltage is being lost through the starter cable).

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
It cranks a little slow at first, almost as if something in the engine is binding, or the starter itself.
Also would be good to see what the battery voltage drops to during cranking. Then also making note if you have a voltage drop between the battery and the starter when cranking (place one lead on battery, other lead on starter, the voltage measured there during cranking is your voltage drop--i.e how much voltage is being lost through the starter cable).
But its only the first start. Afterwards you can start it a million times and its perfectly OK until you wait a few secs. It's actually been doing it for about 2 years and it drives me insane.

I'll take a look at voltage drop

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
I had hot start issues with my BEW prior to changing startup fueling but that sounds more like an electrical problem.

Sticking/dirty starter internals..? I used to have an aba that would only start when it was relatively cold due to a gunked up armature that was just tight enough to cause resistance when warm.

Would start with voltage since that's easier than popping the starter off.