Sputter bearings

All Stock

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
Lots of views... does anyone even understand why we would prefer them in a performance application?

I'm sure there's old threads out there explaining this.. I know why.. and its why I am seeking them for my re-rebuild.

djrhetoric

Veteran Member
TDI
80 Rabbit pickup MTDI
You used to be able to get them from RockAuto if you had the part numbers... but the last time I checked I couldn't do any searching for European only models.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
You can get them from Darkside or Rosten - I wasn't able to find them in the states, though I didn't look real hard.

The ones from Darkside don't have the locating tabs - FYI, just put them in straight and square. You'll have them 2-3 days after you order.

Rosten has them with the tabs, don't know how fast the shipping is on them.

They're darned expensive though, compared to standard bearings.

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Any idea which are the best? Kolbenschmidt? Glyco? Mahle?
Cost is the same, about 30€ for complete set.
I'm about to measure mine also and replace everything before tuning

All Stock

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
Couldn't find them stateside..

I went with Kobenschmidt and am just going to have them all coated.. Rods, mains, Thrust and intermediate shaft bearings..

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
really only need the upper halves of the rod bearings
and the lower shells are usually just fine to re-use

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Couldn't find them stateside..

I went with Kobenschmidt and am just going to have them all coated.. Rods, mains, Thrust and intermediate shaft bearings..
I think they're sized to go in a certain combination. I didn't realize that there were upper/lower halves and ended up putting in a couple uppers in the same rod and it's not happy about it. The sputter half has a much stiffer backing material (steel maybe?) compared to the lower half, you really have to work at it to push them into the connecting rod.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
iirc when I read up on it one of the pitfalls was that they're too hard for small particulate to embed in the surface, meaning it embeds in the softer iron crank instead when there isn't a softer shell to get the poop hammered into.

All Stock

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
Not overkill really... I didn't like the wear I saw on the last set that were removed after 10k.

They are only half shells designed for the upper (load) side of the bearing. Their hardness is their strength and also their disadvantage when it comes to foreign micro particles in the oil....

Which in a sooty diesel environment is very likely.

Its also likely why I had the wear I did.. On my first build the shop I had the machine work done at said the valve seals (7mm) I supplied were wrong.. they were from a VW only supplier so I thought maybe they boogered one. No biggie they sourced their own..
Short version... Bad bad blowby.. great compression! The night before my motor ran away I was up really late swapping in new valve seals...just didn't clean the intake system..it would have prevented all of this. They used a 7mm guide mount seal for an 18 mm stem. There was a .040" difference in the relaxed state of the seals. I couldn't keep the oil clean because over 10 psi of boost or DP the intake valves and exh valves were dumping into the valve cover through the guides. Basically sooty oil. Probably a much more coarse version of contaminates but nonetheless those bearings had some wear. Right now the crank measures out as still standard.

Its also a very hopped up AHU in a wrangler that has towed a small camper from Detroit to San Diego back and then some.. So that's where the sputter thought comes in.. Bearing Loads.

Instead I'll just coat the new ones..

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........