Panzer Plate installed

pcjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002, Jetta, Baltic, 2010 Jetta Sedan
Installed a Panzer Plate on my 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan today. IT installed without a hitch the instructions were clear and to the point. A fine product from Dieselgeek. The only thing I would do different if I had to do it again is to use a lift. ;)

adamant628

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS
For anyone planning to install one in the future, I would recommend a couple of things:
Be careful with the rivnuts, I'm not sure if my torque wrench was way off or what, but those were in before 38 ft-lbs.

Also, I found it easier lying on the ground rather than a roller because I wasn't able to support my shoulders while lifting the plate while on the roller, whereas I could brace them directly on the ground when not using the roller.

brucebanes

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 99.B
Better yet contact Digital4n6 and see if you can drive down to Richmond and borrow his lift. He's help installed a few of these already and he's pretty good. He has torque wrenches and bolt lock gell and all the stuff you need. He a real interesting guy, it only takes a couple hours then buy him lunch at some nice place. It sure beats ramps and jack stands.

brucebanes

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 99.B
pcjr said:
Installed a Panzer Plate on my 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan today. IT installed without a hitch the instructions were clear and to the point. A fine product from Dieselgeek. The only thing I would do different if I had to do it again is to use a lift. ;)
Did you rip the plastic on that is already there off? Did you remove the skirts?

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Once the panzer plate is installed does one have to perform oil changes from under the hood and not drain the oil below? Thanks.

pcjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002, Jetta, Baltic, 2010 Jetta Sedan
Na All the plastic is in place. On my 2002 TDI with a plate I have changed the oil from top and bottom. If I choose to have it serviced by the dealer I will have to find out if I have to remove it prior to taking it in ...

Oblio13

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Passat
fleuger99 said:
Once the panzer plate is installed does one have to perform oil changes from under the hood and not drain the oil below? Thanks.

You can still do it either way. From underneath even becomes easier with a Panzer Plate, because there's a small removable panel for access to the drain plug.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Oblio13 said:
You can still do it either way. From underneath even becomes easier with a Panzer Plate, because there's a small removable panel for access to the drain plug.
Wrong.......
The A5 Panzer plate installs over top on the Existing Plastic cover there is no removeable cover on this model.........

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
tomo366 said:
Wrong.......
The A5 Panzer plate installs over top on the Existing Plastic cover there is no removeable cover on this model.........
Good to know, this might prevent me from getting one. Are there different models (manufacturers) of this product?

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Yes.......But his product is nearly Identical to the Panzer Plate........
Then there is the Factory Euro Skidplate, which is nearly 500 and there have been reported problems with Fit........

noplug

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
Good choice Tomo!
I bought my 2003 and it had the plastic plate in the trunk and only one of the side skirts. I sold the plastic unit and skirt here and got the plate and full metal jackets, couldn't be more happy, saved me a couple times already!

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
noplug said:
Good choice Tomo!
I bought my 2003 and it had the plastic plate in the trunk and only one of the side skirts. I sold the plastic unit and skirt here and got the plate and full metal jackets, couldn't be more happy, saved me a couple times already!

I haven't purchased one yet...........I was going to buy the factory plate for 477..........and cancelled the order because a member here had problems with fit..........so I am not sure what I will buy now........

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
tomo366 said:
Yes.......But his product is nearly Identical to the Panzer Plate........
Then there is the Factory Euro Skidplate, which is nearly 500 and there have been reported problems with Fit........
Thanks. Good to know.