my first B100 fillup

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
Ok, so I'm a real newbie when it comes to Biodiesel. I have a 96 Passat TDI with 84k miles.

I just filled up with my first tank of B100 biodiesel. I filled up at the Shell station at the corner of rt 26 and rt 27 in maryland. It was $2.79/gal. I had about 6 gallons of regular diesel already in there, and pumped about 14 gallons of B100 on top of that. I guess that makes it about a B70 blend.

I've replaced the injector return lines with viton tubing. Is there any other rubber seals, gaskets, hoses, etc. that I should be replacing if I plan to run straight B100 from now on? I would really like to start running B100 all the time, but am concerned I will have problems with rubber bits going bad...

Is it just me, or does the engine run a bit smoother now??? Maybe it's just me....

Also, I use the 2 micron cat fuel filter. Is this a problem when running B100??

Lastly, my car has about 84k miles and this is it's first exposure to Biodiesel. I know biodiesel is a good solvent, and it will clean out all kinds of gunk in the tank, lines, etc. which will get caught in the fuel filter. How long should I go before I replace the fuel filter? I'm guessing it's a lot sooner than the 15k or 20k usual interval.

Thanks for helping a newbie!! Sorry if this has already been covered.

mobe

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Congrats on the B100 conversion! /images/graemlins/grin.gif
You're lucky to have a pump, at a Shell station no less.

About your fuel lines/seals and such, they should be Biodiesel compatable, in a 1996 or later VW.

I would keep a fuel filter in the car along with tools to change it out, as well as some BioD or fuel additive to prime it.
From what I've read on the BiodieselNow forums this problem is a bit overblown but I suppose it mostly depends on the quality of fuel that your car was getting previously.

B100 makes my car pure like a kitten. /images/graemlins/grin.gif Nice and quiet.

Your 2 micron cat filter should not cause any problems.

Again congratulations, using this alternative fuel is a wonderful thing!

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
Yes, this B100 was sold through a pump at a Shell station, but it's not a Shell product. I know, because it had a large sign on it that reads:

"100% Pure Soy Biodiesel"
"Not a Shell product"

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
Wow! Down to 2.79/gal? I got B100 up there a few times last summer and it was 2.99/gal. Did you pick up your rebate form, so you can get half of your money back?

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
It was still $2.99 9/10 about three weeks ago. I filled up (vented) at the Taylorsville station, drove to Asheville, NC, and spent three days there. I then drove back to MD on that same tankful to fill up for the remainder of the trip home, still at $2.99 9/10.
Does the Bare Truck stop north of Taylorsville sell only to tax exempt vehicles from its pump? The price posted was lower than the petrodiesel sold on the same street, but they were closed that Sunday and it was too late in the day on the return trip.

bean boy

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Wagon
Welcome to the club Lupin. You aren't imagining the smoothness, nor that nice smell. Some claim less power, but I can't tell any difference.

I just paid $2.90 gal after taxs at Solar Market. The good news is my money stays in this country and helps hard working farmers. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
[ QUOTE ]
Wow! Down to 2.79/gal? I got B100 up there a few times last summer and it was 2.99/gal. Did you pick up your rebate form, so you can get half of your money back?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, it was $2.79. I guess they dropped the price 20 cents recently. I also filled a five gallon jug and put it in the trunk /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have heard of this Maryland rebate..... unfortunately I live in VA, so I don't think it applies to me.

I drive to Frederick, MD every weekend, so it's only another 30 minutes to get to this pump. I think it's the closest B100 pump to me (I'm in Arlington, VA).

I intend to fill up exclusively from this B100 pump from now on. I really like the idea of a renewable fuel that doesn't generate any pollution, and that doesn't line the pockets of some Saudi prince.

bowlerman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta tdi black
you said you replaced your return lines with viton tubing? where oh where did u get it from, i need some. can you tell me where and for how much? you have phone number?

myhangar

I live north of Dallas near Sherman. I have been setting up my "Refinery" as time permits. I've got my settling tanks and bubble wash tanks already. I'm waiting for my reaction tank to arrive.
I'm hoping to be producing within the month. I drive in to Dallas every night so these diesel prices are starting to hurt......
Looking for a good used 2003 Jetta TDI.....know of any in the area?

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
The price posted was lower than the petrodiesel sold on the same street

[/ QUOTE ]
J.B., I think Bare sells B2. Not 100% sure... I haven't been there, but I remember reading that somewhere.

[ QUOTE ]
Yep, it was $2.79. I guess they dropped the price 20 cents recently.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sweet! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I have heard of this Maryland rebate..... unfortunately I live in VA

[/ QUOTE ]
No problem... just fill it out on my card! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
That's it, Rub it in McBrew!

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you talking about our 50% REBATE on biodiesel? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

delste

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS 2004 Black/Black leather
I have a new Jetta TDI PD. I go to Washington DC to visit my daughter and am near rt 26/27 in MD. Can I use 100% biodiesel in my car and can I mix it with regular diesel without any modifications?

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes. You probably won't notice any difference other than the engine quieting down a bit. The higher the blend, the more obvious it will be. At a very high blend, you will notice the exhaust smell changing... it will begin to smell less like "diesel fumes" and more like deep fryer oil.

I'll be going up there in the next few days to fill up... I've only gone 460 miles on my current tank... needle at the half-way mark /images/graemlins/grin.gif. I've got regular diesel fuel in there now... I'd like to burn most of it off before filling up with B100.

delste, you'll enjoy burning the good stuff!

delste

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS 2004 Black/Black leather
McBrew

Thanks for reply. Will be going down in a few weeks. Just wanted to make sure that bio is ok on the PD.

William_

[ QUOTE ]
About your fuel lines/seals and such, they should be Biodiesel compatable, in a 1996 or later VW.

[/ QUOTE ]

In order to use b100 etc, fuel lines, seals etc need to be changed?

Why?

-

bean boy

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Wagon
B100 is a solvent that will degrade rubber faster than diesel will. Prior to 96, many vehicles were still using rubber components. I have read many posts about this subject here, at biodieselnow.com, and at biodiesel.org, about this subject. I have seen the damage it did to the hose where I get my b100. Do a search if you have the time.

Some concern still exists about the return lines on the tdis because they can supposedly degrade from the heat of the motor.

A certain amount of controversy exists about the ability of the new pd tdis to handle biodiesel. Read more about this if you want to be aware about this issue. It appears the pd uses higher pressure than the older pumps, so viscosity may be an issue, or so I have read here. Again, I suggest you do a search and decide yourself.

Water contamination and cold weather gelling are the biggest concerns. These are issues for diesel as well.
You want to do your homework before storing b100 for any length of time.

my rules:
1. ONLY BUY ASTM CERTIFIED BIODIESEL.
2. DO NOT LET ANY WATER CONTAMINATE STORED BIODIESEL.
3. DO NOT USE B100 UNDER 32 DEGREES F. Cut it with winterized diesel or other winter additives.

I have been running b100 and various splash blends since first day with my 03 tdi. 36k with no problems. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sappington

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Chevy Volt now -- sold '03 Jetta Wagon :-(
[ QUOTE ]
1. ONLY BUY ASTM CERTIFIED BIODIESEL.
2. DO NOT LET ANY WATER CONTAMINATE STORED BIODIESEL.

[/ QUOTE ]
Those two can be tricky to achieve, though. How do you prove that the station you're buying from has ASTM certified BD? And how can you be sure that biodiesel you are storing isn't contaminated with water?

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Up to 2003, the TDIs had cloth-covered rubber injector bypass hoses. These deteriorate anyway... but it's the weakest part of the system as far as biodiesel in concerned. The PD engine has the injectors hidden away beneath the valve cover. I don't know what the bypass setup looks like... but I would guess it's a non-issue since these engines have been available in Europe, where biodiesel is much more common (even required in countries like France). If there are injector bypass hoses inside, they are not very user-servicable, so I'd assume that they are pretty robust.

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
[ QUOTE ]
you said you replaced your return lines with viton tubing? where oh where did u get it from, i need some. can you tell me where and for how much? you have phone number?

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought it from www.mcmaster.com

It is sold by the foot, I bought two feet which was plenty to do the job.

bean boy

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Wagon
[ QUOTE ]
How do you prove that the station you're buying from has ASTM certified BD?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question. Ask them to supply something in writing. Ask who the supplier is and contact them about the issue & documentation. Also check with Biodiesel.org as they are the body that they pay the big bucks to for being certified.

Some folks go beyond that and have it tested at an independent lab. Some so called certified fuel has been known to fail the test.

[ QUOTE ]
And how can you be sure that biodiesel you are storing isn't contaminated with water?

[/ QUOTE ]

Another good question.

You start with making sure it isn't contaminated at the pump. Even petro diesel from a low volume source could be contaminated. I use a high volume dealer that runs biodiesel in their own vehicles.

I don't store mine for more than a couple of weeks and its kept in 5 gal yellow sealed jugs that are out of the weather. Research proper storage from someone who knows their stuff if storing larger and longer quantities.

The most common water contamination I have read about involves 55 gal barrels stored outside. If you are going to even think about doing this, find out how to do it right. Do a search here or at Biodieselnow.com. A lot of posts were done there last fall when Nate had problems from contaminated fuel. The thought it was from water, but later learned that gasoline may have been the real culprit...don't even ask how.

I'm lucky that my supplier is local and proven. As more come on line, more of us can be that lucky.