Rust Warranty Shock

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
I noticed the beginning of rust at the top of my wheel wells and wanted to be proactive before the warranty ran out. I love this 2009 Jetta TDI and want to keep it as long as possible. I took the car in on December 12. (My VW dealership is part of a large city wide chain which has its own collision repair shop). The estimate was 12.5 hours of work. I was refused a loaner or rental car so I had to use Enterprise. Week after week went by, with one excuse after the other. Supposedly, someone at VW corporate who did the authorization was out. Yesterday, 42 days later, I got the car back. It looks great. The total cost of the warranty repair was $837.49, my cost $0. I'm happy with that. However, the total cost for my rental car for 42 days was $2087.00 I registered my displeasure to the repair people in person and the service department at my VW dealership with an email. Any advice on what course of action to take?

Last edited:

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Unless VW offers a loaner car as part of the warranty, you are out of luck. They're not going to give you cash. This is why I keep a spare vehicle (it is my VW in fact).

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Hindsight is always 20/20, but why would you let your car sit that long? It clearly did not take 42 days to do 12.5 hours worth of work. Your car was not crashed (as in, it could be driven). That doesn't make much sense to me.

But in any event, their warranty did good in my mind. An 11 year old car and they paid over $800 in repairs. Only course of action to take is learn from this incident so you can avoid it happening again. Shoot, for $2k you could have BOUGHT a car and drove it for 42 days and sold it.

But this does illustrate why I have spare vehicles. I couldn't sleep at night knowing I had to depend on an 11 year old CR TDI, to be quite honest.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
I bought a car for less than that drove for two years and sold it for more.

Well glad you're vehicle is back and lesson learned. I myself have never taken a vehicle back to be for warranty work. The only time I have been to VW was passing by and grabbing something from the parts department that I needed in a pinch.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Yep multiple vehicles are great. I always keep one around for times like this or towing or hauling or loaner to family and friends.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Contact VWoA and request goodwill from them. They have the ability to reimburse you for a rental at up to $30/day depending on a number of factors (situation, loyalty, etc.).