TDI timing belt

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
No need to remove the serpentine, you just want to move the IP so loose enough you can move it and put it back together.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

BuckeyeMan71

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon
No need to remove the serpentine, you just want to move the IP so loose enough you can move it and put it back together.

Ok. So put back at TDC remove timing belt and adjust IP then follow finishing steps from pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Yes, you must remove the cam shaft pulley bolt, and loosen the tensioner. The turn the pump pulley the tooth and stick the cam pulley Back in, and tension the belt then tighten the cam pulley bolt and the. IP bolts.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Since it VCDS says my timing is to far advanced I’d want to go clockwise according to pdf to retard the timing

The PDF is incorrect on that part. You want to rotate the hub COUNTER CLOCKWISE (towards the back of the car) to retard the timing.

Try that before you do anything else.

EDIT: I even told you that in my other post.

Last edited:

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
If everything is properly lined up at TDC, locked in place, correct sprockets loosened so they can turn a bit as the belt is tensioned, transmission double-checked that it hasn't moved... etc etc etc... the car will start perfectly and the timing will be right in the middle of the graph.

From there some people then dial it in a bit more one way or the other, but 99% time it's almost perfect as is.

Any major tweaking suggests "start over and do it again" with the belt. IMHO, of course. :)

I'd also be very concerned about any ticking noises that weren't there with the old belt, since that could easily be the sound of valves kissing pistons from incorrect crank/cam alignment.

Are you sure you're using the correct timing mark on the transmission?? Any way you could snap a picture?

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
If everything is properly lined up at TDC, locked in place, correct sprockets loosened so they can turn a bit as the belt is tensioned, transmission double-checked that it hasn't moved... etc etc etc... the car will start perfectly and the timing will be right in the middle of the graph.

From there some people then dial it in a bit more one way or the other, but 99% time it's almost perfect as is.

Any major tweaking suggests "start over and do it again" with the belt. IMHO, of course. :)

I'd also be very concerned about any ticking noises that weren't there with the old belt, since that could easily be the sound of valves kissing pistons from incorrect crank/cam alignment.

Are you sure you're using the correct timing mark on the transmission?? Any way you could snap a picture?

If the timing is very advanced it can sound like a ticking noise beyond the normal. I have witnessed what before on these engines.

BuckeyeMan71

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon

Ok so I have it running again. Which engine do I use <04/1999 or 05/1999>

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Assuming it's the 03 in your profile your want to use >99, look kin your door, it's dated.

Timing looks pretty good so far, would probably take it up just a hair, not quite to the line. It'll run good like it is though if it's on the right graph

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
*Much* better... what did you do differently, and has the ticking gone away?

Your 2003 ALH was made after 05/1999 so I'd use that setting, but it probably won't make much difference.

Note that it's warning you that the engine coolant is too cold... for an accurate setting you'll need to get the engine all the way up to temp.

BuckeyeMan71

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon
*Much* better... what did you do differently, and has the ticking gone away?

Your 2003 ALH was made after 05/1999 so I'd use that setting, but it probably won't make much difference.

Note that it's warning you that the engine coolant is too cold... for an accurate setting you'll need to get the engine all the way up to temp.

I took your advise started all over and found out I was 2 teeth over and I’m getting the same reading on both engines. Right now temp gauge is at 190 and and timing in block 2 is at 57

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I always use block 2 unless the timing is adapted. 57 is nice.
But graph shows high, put it near the blue line.

BuckeyeMan71

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon
I always use block 2 unless the timing is adapted. 57 is nice.
But graph shows high, put it near the blue line.

Ok I will do that tomorrow I have to get ready for work. Thank you.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Read the how to I posted earlier.
Basically I shoot for just below the middle line.
Between the top and bottom line is within range and blue line is TDC.

Last edited:

BuckeyeMan71

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon
Read the how to I posted earlier.
Basically I shoot for just below the middle line.
Between the top and bottom line is within range and blue line is TDC. Just below is just ahead.

This Friday I will be becoming a lifetime member thanks to all of you who have helped me with my first attempt at doing a timing belt.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I tend to leave mine anywhere above the middle lines, as close to the top line as I can get, but if it starts off above the middle line, I leave it wherever it lays. this leaves the motor in an advanced location Before TDC for timing.

I have never left one below the middle line. that leaves the Engine in a retarded state of timing After TDC

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I tend to leave mine anywhere above the middle lines, as close to the top line as I can get, but if it starts off above the middle line, I leave it wherever it lays. this leaves the motor in an advanced location Before TDC for timing.
I have never left one below the middle line. that leaves the Engine in a retarded state of timing After TDC
oh i hate a retarded engine. ;):D

BuckeyeMan71

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon
Well guys to no avail my Jetta is running and I got it all back together just got it out of the garage and went around the block and it’s not running right. So I’m going to take it to the pros to see what I did wrong. Thank you for all the help and I might be a week late but I’m going to become a life member of this forum.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Well guys to no avail my Jetta is running and I got it all back together just got it out of the garage and went around the block and it’s not running right. So I’m going to take it to the pros to see what I did wrong. Thank you for all the help and I might be a week late but I’m going to become a life member of this forum.

Disconnect the MAF and see it runs better. I am interweb guessing, but if you have it running and idling well, but it acts terrible under the throttle, it might be because of the MAF. Simple plug disconnect and see if better.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual

See if you can hook up with Growler, he knows these cars.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Thought you got the injection timing set with VCDS?
I second unplugging the MAF and see what happens. It'll run a default map and you can see if it runs better.

BuckeyeMan71

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon
Thought you got the injection timing set with VCDS?
I second unplugging the MAF and see what happens. It'll run a default map and you can see if it runs better.

I do have it it’s at 63. I really just don’t have the time to work on it myself. If it wasn’t for my company truck I’d be stuck. I have no check engine light on so I don’t know what it would be.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I do have it it’s at 63. I really just don’t have the time to work on it myself. If it wasn’t for my company truck I’d be stuck. I have no check engine light on so I don’t know what it would be.

Takes two seconds on the disco the MAF connector on the air filter box and do a test drive. You will know right away if it's better. If that doesn't work, then find yourself a guru.

BuckeyeMan71

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon
Your closest Guru Is up in Lima, Kraig Keith Kraiger Automotive. kraigerautomotive@gmail.com

give him a call and see if he is available.

So I took it to foreign exchange yesterday and got it back today. They said that I was still one tooth off on the timing. But she is running perfect again and I had them go ahead and do the ac for me

BuckeyeMan71

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon
Glad to hear she's running again!

Thanks man. I couldn’t believe that I was still one tooth off but with me working 6 days a week I didn’t have anymore time to keep at it myself