Custom turbo 1.9 bew tdi Holset

Faygo1.9

TDI
2005 golf gls 1.9 tdi
Hello little introduction, here is my 1.9 tdi I picked up stock for $1000 3 months ago I ended up getting a custom tune from Jeff and upgraded my injectors, pd 150 from Uk eBay for $150 shipped low mileage. I ended up snapping the exhaust wheel off the turbo rebuilt the engine bigger and better at that point why go stock turbo so I said go big or go home made my own oil lines with -4 an oil supply -10 oil drain. Originally went with a Holset h1c I was having issues with it I can’t get it to build more than 2 psi I believe it has plenty of fueling, that was on my stock turbo tune with pd150 injectors mapped in Jeff told me to do some data logs with that tune and the results weren’t that good only made 2 psi not sure what the issue was. So I ended up swapping it for a different Holset with a smaller exhaust side hx40. That seems to be doing better still waiting for a revised tune with maf delete and smart actuator delete. Not sure how much boost this setup is making but it definitely spools higher than the other turbo. Any suggestions? I’ve checked for exhaust leaks boost leaks, I put a restrictor in the oil feed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
Why are you trying to run such a big turbo. The smaller one you have listed is for 7-10 Liter motors! When it comes to turbos, bigger is not better. You have to have enough flow to spin the turbo and with the location it looks like you have moved it to, you probably can’t get enough flow to spool it up fully.

I believe you just have way too big a turbo for that 1.9!

Faygo1.9

TDI
2005 golf gls 1.9 tdi
Why are you trying to run such a big turbo. The smaller one you have listed is for 7-10 Liter motors! When it comes to turbos, bigger is not better. You have to have enough flow to spin the turbo and with the location it looks like you have moved it to, you probably can’t get enough flow to spool it up fully.

I believe you just have way too big a turbo for that 1.9!

The new turbo I put on has a smaller exhaust side than the original turbo it works now, I was only building 2psi with the old setup

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
The new turbo I put on has a smaller exhaust side than the original turbo it works now, I was only building 2psi with the old setup

I looked up the hx40 and it is listed for a much bigger motor than what your running. I don’t think you can get the velocity you need to spin even it. There is just not enough engine for the turbo.

My brother ran into the same problem on a project he has been working on, too big of turbo created very little boost. After dropping size his last dump pull was 23.6 psi. Everything has to match to be able to work.

Faygo1.9

TDI
2005 golf gls 1.9 tdi
I looked up the hx40 and it is listed for a much bigger motor than what your running. I don’t think you can get the velocity you need to spin even it. There is just not enough engine for the turbo.

My brother ran into the same problem on a project he has been working on, too big of turbo created very little boost. After dropping size his last dump pull was 23.6 psi. Everything has to match to be able to work.

What turbo did he end up going with?

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
He is working with a company testing new models for a BMW. The theory still works though. Actually with the gas motors have a better chance of spinning a bigger turbo due to higher rev possibilities.

Ceramic bearings made a big difference as well. He went from twin turbos to a single and was actually able to make more boost by having a better exhaust flow and better matched turbo for the changes he had made.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
My 5.9 liter Cummins had an HX35, smaller than the 40, and it was plenty of turbo for that engine. I have to agree with the others, that turbo is likely way too much for 1.9 liters even with a smaller exhaust collar.

Faygo1.9

TDI
2005 golf gls 1.9 tdi
My 5.9 liter Cummins had an HX35, smaller than the 40, and it was plenty of turbo for that engine. I have to agree with the others, that turbo is likely way too much for 1.9 liters even with a smaller exhaust collar.

Say I were too downsize what size turbo would you go with

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Faygo1.9-

I wish you luck, beautiful car!

Side note: What are you using to host large/High def photos on here in the thread?

Faygo1.9

TDI
2005 golf gls 1.9 tdi
Faygo1.9-

I wish you luck, beautiful car!

Side note: What are you using to host large/High def photos on here in the thread?

I have a Sony a7rII camera I’m using taptalk app first time using it i just uploaded the pics to the forum

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Say I were too downsize what size turbo would you go with

that depends on your goals. You have to decide what you want at the end to design your way. You can't work backwards lol. There's the VNT 17, or 17/22, 17/26, and some larger ones than those too. Larger turbos are slower to spool up and can be laggy. The hybrid models try to mitigate that.

I'm not a turbo expert, so I'll defer to others. You might want to look at the 17/26 for a good bit of power. Just realize that anything you do will require other supporting mods like bigger injectors, a stronger clutch, and a proper tune.

Faygo1.9

TDI
2005 golf gls 1.9 tdi
Yeah I already have supporting mods just need do figure out what turbo I may try next