Squeeling turbo, don't drive it home!!!

weggman

Veteran Member
TDI
Had 74 to date 2006 Mk5 custom TDI
Squeeling turbo, don\'t drive it home!!!

TDI's don't like no oil. Tried to drive home, in the dark, with the turbo giving a little noise(no boost at all) going very slow 1800 rpm max, noticed smoke out of exhaust in city lights, slowed down and BAM oil light came on. Immedately shut off eng and coasted to stop. What do I tell the dealer? Should I put oil in the mtr and tell them it didn't come on and risk bottom end damage or leave it alone and have all of it fixed under warrenty. I have pwrtrain till feb 04! Lesson learned, squeel = oil seal in turbo /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/eek.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green

wow.

Light indicates no oil pressure. If you had it up until then and shut off immediately, maybe it survived.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE

Why have you started yet a fourth thread on this topic? /images/graemlins/mad.gif

cage

Top Post Dawg

The engine is probably fine but turbo is a no go. Just say you were dirving along the oil light came on and you pulled over and shut it off. It isn't your fault the turbo sucked the oil out of the engine. You don't have to admit attempting to drive it further or that it was squealing. Like I said the engine is most likely fine and the turbo was toast anyway.

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB

If you drove it while the turbo oil was being ingested, it was a significant period of a low oil condition before the light came on.
At higher RPM's (1800) this will cause minor damage at least to your bearings. Many times the cam journals and saddles too.
If the bearings are not changed out you will have bearing failure after about 5-10k miles or so.. It will knock for awhile then eventual spin. if its a rod that does this first it will seize and snap the connecting rod. This usually sends it through the block (you will have no core credit)
I would say that by you driving it with a loss of power and obvious noise.
This caused the subsequent bearing damage. Get your wallet out..

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T

[ QUOTE ]
MOGolf said:
Why have you started yet a fourth thread on this topic? /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

So, get them all together in one thread or lock them out. I was thinking the same thing. Maybe there was a lack of answers he wanted to hear or the "look at me thing"

weggman

Veteran Member
TDI

Hey be nice! I am just new at the message board thing. It won't happen again. Maybe you guy's need some muscle car melaton> My 69mach1 always gets me in a better mood. /images/graemlins/grin.gif sorry

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)

[ QUOTE ]
weggman said: Hey be nice! I am just new at the message board thing. It won't happen again. Maybe you guy's need some muscle car melaton> My 69mach1 always gets me in a better mood. /images/graemlins/grin.gif sorry

[/ QUOTE ]

__. Hey, Weg, what model, year, etc. How many miles? Any mods? Are you first owner? What kind of oil/ when last changed? Thanks and good luck.

weggman

Veteran Member
TDI

A4 99 jetta 550mi on oil rotella syn. Car is new to me. 35k on it. just put a new pump in it. no mods yet.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)

[ QUOTE ]
weggman said:
A4 99 jetta 550mi on oil rotella syn. Car is new to me. 35k on it. just put a new pump in it. no mods yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

__. Interesting, a 4 1/2 year old car with 35k miles. That's not many miles per year. Makes me wonder how it was driven over those 4 1/2 years. Do you know who owned it, previous service history, etc.?

weggman

Veteran Member
TDI

/images/graemlins/cool.gif New turbo for VW, but now I'm worried if the mtr took any damage. I did shut it off right after the oil light came on. The dealer IDOIT drove it off the flat bed. He told me he didn't know it had no oil. He said the light come after he got inside!!! The car runs OK. 300 mi no rattling rods. I not sure what to do. I like the car, but if the thing goes out of warrenty in 3 months and then the rods start knocking Then what!!! Also the car seems to have less pwr then it did with the bad turbo? /images/graemlins/confused.gif Also the oil in my muffler is nasty. Should I remove it premently.

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB

[ QUOTE ]
weggman said:
/images/graemlins/cool.gif New turbo for VW, but now I'm worried if the mtr took any damage. I did shut it off right after the oil light came on. The dealer IDOIT drove it off the flat bed. He told me he didn't know it had no oil. He said the light come after he got inside!!! The car runs OK. 300 mi no rattling rods. I not sure what to do. I like the car, but if the thing goes out of warrenty in 3 months and then the rods start knocking Then what!!! Also the car seems to have less pwr then it did with the bad turbo? /images/graemlins/confused.gif Also the oil in my muffler is nasty. Should I remove it premently.

[/ QUOTE ]

I recently saw a Ranger truck that had been started and driven half mile with no oil. Oil was added and the engine was a quiet as could be.
After 5,000 miles it spun a rod bearing... most of the other bearings only had a slight scoring.
I would document what happened and go over it with the service manager..
It something happens in the future you have facts in writing.

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf

[ QUOTE ]
Frank M said:
[ QUOTE ]
weggman said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I recently saw a Ranger truck that had been started and driven half mile with no oil. Oil was added and the engine was a quiet as could be.
After 5,000 miles it spun a rod bearing... most of the other bearings only had a slight scoring.
I would document what happened and go over it with the service manager..
It something happens in the future you have facts in writing.

[/ QUOTE ]
I totally agree. I had a new 350 GM Goodwrench put in my Malibu when I was in college. The thing burned tons of oil and I complained. the initial response from the dealer was that 1 quart every 1000 miles was normal. I disagreed from the get-go. This went on for months and finally they sealed every orifice up on that motor and put a dye in the oil. They even sealed the dipstick, they were accusing me of taking oil out. They told me to come back in 3000 miles. Well, guess what when I went back the car had a quart of oil in it and the cylinder walls were all scored. The engine did not run smooth at idle and took 15 attempts to start in the morning from lack of compression. The motor was replaced by the dealer. Unfortunately the new motor they put in was a used motor (like 100k) rather that the crate motor I paid for. a dealer in Maine verified this for me and installed a brand spanking new motor for me. It is still running to this day with 178k on it. Lack of oil is not a good thing. Those wiseguy hecklers at the dealership were idiots then, and are now. Document everything.