Losing vacuum overnight

Zabel51

TDI
2014 white GSW
I am finding that when i get in the car in the morning the brake pedal is hard, with no vacuum reserve. Pedal gets soft after the engine starts. Has anybody else experienced this? Jokes about hard in the morning understood, but not contributory to the discussion. :D Is there a typical place to check for a vacuum leak at the reservoir?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Lol oh the irony..... but to the serious side.... yeah its normal for brakes to be hard while its not running..... thus “power brakes” thats why its a wonderful feature to go easy on our bad knees.... if no power brakes, you will feel harsh brake pedal to press.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
My 2010 has the same issue although it doesn't do it all the time. I think it has to do with the brake vacuum system not holding the vacuum?

Zabel51

TDI
2014 white GSW
Yes, I believe it is that the brake system is not holding the vacuum. it used to but not any more. Is there a check valve or fitting that is leaking? Not a lot, but just enough to bleed down the vacuum overnight.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
I have the same issue. Occasionally the brake pedal is hard in the morning, usually the car can sit for several days and still has vacuum. No pattern I have figured out yet. Been doing this for at least a year.
I’m not too worried.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The check valve is generally at the booster, on the end of the vacuum tube, integrated into the nipple that goes through the grommet into the booster. So either that check valve is randomly not holding vacuum, or the booster itself.

So long as it has proper assist after the engine starts, the brake system should work fine. It would probably be difficult to pinpoint the exact point of failure if it is a slow leak and maybe not consistent. Replacing the tube would be an easier and less costly item to try before digging into the booster.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
both my 11's have done this, I can't establish a pattern, perhaps it has to do with having the pedal depressed when you shut it off?

Zabel51

TDI
2014 white GSW
Oilhammer, thanks for your thoughts. I've ordered a new hose (561 612 041C) and I'll get the mechanic to change it out.
Ihatespeed, It's getting progressively worse, used to be overnight, now just a couple of hours and the vacuum is gone.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
ahh, mines not nearly that consistent, maybe a few times a month, and more likely after sitting a few days