www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old April 30th, 2018, 07:23   #1
ddorrer
Veteran Member
Default Phase 2 Dealership Experience

So I recieved the VWoA Phase 2 greenlight email. I made an online appt at Beyer VW in Winchester, VA. Took the car in and it was very simple; so far. They gave me a 2017 Passat loaner. More to come...

ddorrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2018, 08:30   #2
16vjohn

I posted this in another thread, but it's probably more relevant here. My 15' Jetta is getting Phase 2, otherwise known as the "J6" kit, presumably for Jetta Mk6. This particular kit was for manual transmissions and came with a new bolt and clip for the shifter. The J6 kit VW sent lacked these parts and it's delayed the fix for a few days. It's Monday now and I dropped the car off Thursday morning. They also said the instructions for the technician differed from reality in that the photos in the service manual differed from the parts on my car. Sounds like there may be some different versions of the same chassis they are not accounting for.

I googled all the part numbers for the J6. Many tuner sites and online VW parts dealers have the part number listed, but no photo. Only that it's a "kit". I plan to have the car back today. I'll ask the technician for a rundown on everything that was changed. Weather permitting, I'll take photos as well.

On another note, I hate the automatic transmission in the 1.4T Jetta loaner. Good engine, but weird power band and the transmission hunts for gears more than most.
Old April 30th, 2018, 14:00   #3
jfc2697

I also dropped my car off today i won't have mine back till Tue but that might since i'm having other things done while it's there. They said i'm 1st one they have done.
jfc2697 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2018, 08:21   #4
ddorrer
Veteran Member
Default Update

The dealer has had my car since Monday 7am and still are not complete. I called today and they removed the front suspension and fuel lines. I asked about an alignment and they said they wouldnt do it. Enough said. My car worked fine prior to Phase 2. Lets see what happens post Phase 2.

Old May 3rd, 2018, 08:25   #5
The Tortoise
Veteran Member

They removed the front suspension but wouldn't do an alignment? Does the suspension even need to be removed?

Crazy.
The Tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2018, 08:37   #6
16vjohn

For the DPF replacement, quite possibly. Makes me wonder if they drop the subframe, in which case they probably just disconnected the tops of the struts. No need for an alignment if that's the case.
Old May 3rd, 2018, 09:20   #7
ddorrer
Veteran Member

The Court Settlement also stated it was a 9 hour fix, its been 72 +hrs!

Old May 3rd, 2018, 09:28   #8
16vjohn

They had mine for six days... didn't they give you a loaner?
Old May 3rd, 2018, 09:34   #9
demagxc
Veteran Member

I dropped my car off for the fix Tuesday morning and still don't have it back yet. They updated me Tuesday afternoon saying it wasn't ready because they were having trouble removing some exhaust components. I wasn't expecting it back till Wednesday so no big deal. They called again Wednesday afternoon to tell me it still wasn't ready because they broke one of the specialty tools required for the job and we're waiting for a new one to be delivered. Hopefully they have better news for me today.
Old May 3rd, 2018, 09:56   #10
ddorrer
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16vjohn View Post
They had mine for six days... didn't they give you a loaner?
What the point of a court ordered settlement If VW just ignores it? Yes, I have a ****box loaner tied to a bunch of contingencies.

Old May 3rd, 2018, 10:13   #11
16vjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddorrer View Post
What the point of a court ordered settlement If VW just ignores it? Yes, I have a ****box loaner tied to a bunch of contingencies.
I get it man, we've all been there. Naturally there will be inconveniences with that and that's why the courts are protecting us with massive compensation. That doesn't mean you have to be happy about it, but this will be behind you soon.

That said, I told my dealer that I had to drive to Vegas (400 miles away) with the loaner even though the contract said 75 miles from dealer at max. They said no problem, take it to Vegas (in writing). Surprisingly my dealer, Ken Garff in Orem, UT has been very excellent and I can tell they're trying to make me happy.
Old May 3rd, 2018, 12:53   #12
ddorrer
Veteran Member
Exclamation

Late update: dealership found another issue where they have to special order the part. The car wont be fixed til next week; 7+ days in the shop. Beware Phase 2 wannabes.

Old May 3rd, 2018, 21:17   #13
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Well you are in the first few to be done. Did you really expect it would go perfectly? There are a number of us that will wait while they experiment on the first few getting things right and some experience under their belt. Thanks for being the beta tester!
Old May 4th, 2018, 04:27   #14
740GLE
Veteran Member

Someone being the first guinea pig for the shop an is shocked the techs are experiencing "a learning curve" is someone who has more faith in VWoA than brains.

Best of luck and as for that loaner, do what ever you want with it, many a time that I've had a loaner from my dealer, they've stated don't go over 100 miles a day, 500 miles in 3 days no big deal. All they really care about is no smoking and fill up the tank when you return it. I even used a 16 GSW S loaner we had over the weekend, tossed our roof racks and kayaks on it and took her for a 3 hour drive to enjoy the car for what we we actually bought.

Best of luck and remember, loaners/rentals make the best off road cars. It's a rental, go mental!!!
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2018, 16:55   #15
tomo366
TDI Lifer

Mine is schedule for Phase 2 fix on May 23rd......can’t wait!
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black!
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote