www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old October 23rd, 2014, 14:41   #1
fdhunter

TDI(s): 2009 JSW
Default P2457 - EGR cooling performance

2009 JSW with 150K miles. I had the CEL light appear and I downloaded the codes and it showed the following code. P2457 - EGR cooling Performance. The car seams to be running fine. If you clear the code it comes back after about 60 - 100 miles. Any one have any ideas, I have search the web and have not found the same code reported on other VWs, but I did find it on the dodge sprinter forum and some other full size diesel truck forums.
fdhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2014, 13:06   #2
fdhunter

Bumping this up, I was hoping someone has seen this before.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 18:26   #3
Stutgart
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2009 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 44 by my wife!

Lemme think... oh yea. The good ol' EGR. Its like automotive engineering designers know they have all this hot exhaust gas and ought to do something with it. So, they started to use it to help emissions way back in the 60s. And its been with us ever since. Diesels never had emission systems, but they do now, big time. Your 2009 TDI is an example of a workable way to keep a diesel from having a lot of objectionable emissions, its a friend of the earth, me too! Beijing today looks just like LA in the late 60's, choking on smog.

At any rate, your car with 150k likely has a balky or just plain non-functional EGR valve. Change it out for a new one. Good bye P2457.

Lots of hot rod guys, God bless their hearts, have been removing or blanking or otherwise deviating from the manufacturers egr design for decades, and will continue to do so for decades to come, and not just with the egr. BUT today's TDI, your TDI, includes an element of exhaust cooling which those pesky engineering designers somehow utilize and include in the control algorithm to keep your car clean and efficient. So, messing with the egr messes with exhaust gas temperature; inadvisable for the average motorist. The hot rod guys know that their messing around is why they have a fire extinguisher in the rear driver side footwell, right?!
Stutgart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2014, 19:45   #4
bobthefarmer
Veteran Member

EGR is essential in reducing NO (Nitrous-oxide) in the exhaust. EGR is especially essential in clean diesels as NO is formed in heat of compression. If you dump CO2 in the intake when running super lean (idle to low fuel input) you don't have excess oxygen to convert N2 to NO. I would clean the EGR valve, as it get clogged with carbon residue. Just extract it from the car and blast free the Carbon, especially near the valve actuator. The cooler should not have anything to do with the code as it is a simple non-monitored device. The cooler is quite different on the 2009 from what is on my 2006.5 and your EGR extraction is from past the Catalytic Converter so it should be free from engine oil and thereby reducing Carbon build up. I really don't know what the code means in a real sense on the 2009, but i would guess you have some actuation issue on the Valve. Let us know what you see.
bobthefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 14:41   #5
fdhunter

The problem turned out being the heater core was blocked and since the heater core follows the EGR cooler, the coolant was not flowing thru the EGR cooler, so it was not able to cool down the EGR cooler. No coolant flow through it.
Old February 5th, 2015, 09:26   #6
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Blocked heater core on a 2009? I don't recall seeing a similar post here.

Are you the original owner? Was the coolant replaced at any time in the 150k miles?

I'm curious because my 2009 JSW cooling system had to be flushed at 50k miles, as it was quite brown, and there was rust-colored crud in the system. I've been concerned about the heater core, but so far, so good.

Glad you solved your problem!
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
2014 Cadillac ELR, purchased 3/18
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 11:20   #7
fdhunter

There has been no other posts on P2457 - EGR cooling performance problems. At least I didn't have to replace the EGR Cooler.

Blocked heater core on a 2009? I don't recall seeing a similar post here.

Are you the original owner? Yes

Was the coolant replaced at any time in the 150k miles? yes, after minor accident with a deer.

I'm curious because my 2009 JSW cooling system had to be flushed at 50k miles, as it was quite brown, and there was rust-colored crud in the system. I've been concerned about the heater core, but so far, so good.

Glad you solved your problem!
Old May 16th, 2017, 21:06   #8
sktan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdhunter View Post
2009 JSW with 150K miles. I had the CEL light appear and I downloaded the codes and it showed the following code. P2457 - EGR cooling Performance. The car seams to be running fine. If you clear the code it comes back after about 60 - 100 miles. Any one have any ideas, I have search the web and have not found the same code reported on other VWs, but I did find it on the dodge sprinter forum and some other full size diesel truck forums.
You need to check out the EGR valve and EGR cooler. Better to have them both cleaned. And you may have to replace your EGR system if cleaning does not work. To know more information about EGR cooler and valve, you may visit our website @ http://www.commercialegrcooler.com/e...er-system.html . If you have any further questions, you can send us an email, I would be happy to ask our engineers to help you out.
sktan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2017, 12:17   #9
runonbeer
Maintenance EnthusiastVendor

Fuel Economy: amazing/excellent/still pretty good

Quote:
Originally Posted by sktan View Post
You need to check out the EGR valve and EGR cooler. Better to have them both cleaned. And you may have to replace your EGR system if cleaning does not work. To know more information about EGR cooler and valve, you may visit our website @ http://www.commercialegrcooler.com/e...er-system.html . If you have any further questions, you can send us an email, I would be happy to ask our engineers to help you out.
You probably should have finished reading this 2 year old thread before bumping it
runonbeer is offline   Reply With Quote