B3/B4 floorplates

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Are the B3 and B4 floorplates the same? My B4 passenger side is rotten and would cut a piece from a donor to repair mine.

TDIBill

Veteran Member
TDI
97Passat, 96 Passat Variant
Given the number of parts that are used on both models & the average lifespan of the basic platform I think they probably will…

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Probably not, actually. The B4 was a significant change from the B3 specifically to cope with the side impact intrusion requirements coming into effect. The only common panels between the B3 and B4 sedan is the roof. The wagons share roof and cargo floor.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
From what I understand, the B4 is also referrred to as 35i facelift.

I've seen a B3 tailgate attached to a B4, although it obviously looked wrong. The windshields are the same. I'm sure a bunch of parts will physically bolt on, but will look cosmeticly wrong.

I've read that the floor pans on a B4 may be deeper, but that may not be an issue for patch panels. I'd look into replacement carpet and see if it's the same for 90-97.

-Todd

Lug_Nut

TDI
A lot will depend on the size and location of the floor patch. Any flat, sheet-only patch should go in. Any sections that have bonded or welded-on bracing or re-inforcement might not match up between B3 and B4.

Changed items as listed in "The New Volkswagen Passat self-study service training program booklet 409 (printed 10/94)
hood hinges
structural windshield adhesive
strengthened B pillar
reinforced window shaft (at the C pillar)
rear door locating pin
side impact bars
reinforced long beams
front bumper redesign

It's the B pillar reinforcements that extend into the floor section that are the concern with fitting a patch from the B3.

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Damage on mine. included the gutter for the fuel lines :/ Probably a no go then?

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
OMG that hole is so bad! You should just cut your losses and sell the car :rolleyes:

just kidding. that is nothing to fret over! ;)

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Push a screwdriver into the metal around the plugs. Common failure point.

-Todd

Volk14

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat wagon TDI, 99 Beetle ALH
the floor pans are the same. I've installed B4 carpets, dash, seats (front and back), center console on B3's and viceversa.

I actually just installed a B3 (1993) carpet on my 97 Passat GLX ;)

Lug_Nut

TDI
Carpets, dash, seats, center consoles are not sheet metal.
I have swapped a Jetta spare tire into my New Beetle, therefore the trunk floors are the same?

The hole on the Passat floor (post 7) is minor enough that the larger patch to be cut from a donor should be able to avoid any model change areas. Were that hole closer to a sill it'd be more dicey as to the ability of a B3 to be used as a donor. That far from a panel edge should be OK with either B3 or B4 as a donor.

Volk14

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat wagon TDI, 99 Beetle ALH
I'll try to take some pics in the next few days and see what else you say after that. I own 2 B3 Passats and 3 B4 passats :)

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Thanks Volk14. Hole is a bit bigger now as the rot has been cut out, but not by much. Seems solid around the holes, but as I will be dong a full ground up resto, I'll probably remove the plugs and weld the holes.