Stealth TDI Still Kicking...

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
Jetta GL, 2002, Galactic Blue - R.I.P.
Nice Scott. You'll start calling the car "Lightning" next. (got the movie for Christmas - Dad liked it more than the kids ;) )

Mark

jbrone

Veteran Member
TDI
R.I.P.: '98 Jetta TDI
I always appreciate the updates about your car. It is an inspiration for me. Thanks.

Beeah

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSWs 6MT | 02 Jetta TDI(Sold)
I want a sticker of that pic you had in one of your videos.

50MPG - Batteries Not Required

Haha, good stuff man.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
I have one on the front fender:

It's a bit big for the street, however. I'm considering a half-sized one for on the road. Should hack off a hybrid or two. ;)

NFSTDI

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'98 Jetta
Nice car. Mine is still stock except for the suspension but I'm planning to start modding very soon. I've always been fan of tasteful sleepers. I'm itching to build a car that can leave most any ricer wonder ***. The best part, we burn vegi oil, in my case recycled stuff. I'm still amazed at how fast my car gets to a hundred running on BioDiesel...and it's box stock!

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hi,

Thanks for the bump. BTW, I updated the top post to reflect the new ham radio. My "antenna farm" is no longer stealth. But it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make to have an effective signal on the ham bands.

Scott

terry mac

TDI
2010 tdi jetta
a new owner, new member. 06 jetta tdi. owners book says cb radio should be not more than 10 watts. Ive got a general lee radio, export type converted. what kinds of problems would I have? maybe 40 watts

Baycop

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI/DSG, Campanella White w/Anthracite interior, Pkg 0, Factory Spoiler, Protection Pkg, Sirius
Love the Pixar/Cars Mod ! That is too funny and you did great with the computer graphics !

jbleu101

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDi, GLS
Cool Video. where did you get the biodiesel sticker for your jerry can? I like the green with the logo and I have two of what appears to be the exact same can.

I already have one of your farfrompumpin stickers on the little window on the rear door

Jeff

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hi,

jbleu101 said:
Cool Video. where did you get the biodiesel sticker for your jerry can? I like the green with the logo and I have two of what appears to be the exact same can.
I bought some stickers at www.biodieselnow.com and then cut them to suit my needs. :cool:

Beeah said:
I want a sticker of that pic you had in one of your videos. 50MPG - Batteries Not Required... Haha, good stuff man.
Done!

:D

They can be purchased in my store linked in my signature. The sticker requires trimming to look like a battery. It is approximately 3x9" after trimming.

Take Care,

Scott

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
Very nice indeed, Scott.

Racer, daily driver, and showcar. That is incredible!

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hi,

It just so happens I recently took the car to a drag strip and got some times:

RT - ..... 0.149
60' - ..... 2.248
330' -.... 6.678
1/8 - .... 10.414
MPH - ... 65.550
1000 - .. 13.643
1/4 - .... 16.366
MPH - ... 82.84

The run above was my best of everything except for my last run which yielded an 83.1-mph trap speed. Given my 1/8-mile time and speed, I guess I'd estimate my 0-60 to be ~8.5-seconds...

I cannot help but wonder if I could have squeaked out another MPH had I ran without my ham radio antennas (I at least ran with the smaller ones).

My races against an Integra and an STI are in THIS 4-MB VIDEO. Overall, it was fun. However, I do not think I'll be trading the in the autocross tires anytime soon. :cool: But I may go back if one of my future turbo endeavors compels me to try to get into the 15s. ;)

Take Care,

Scott

Bojje

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 1,9 TDI -02
Stealth TDI said:
But I may go back if one of my future turbo endeavors compels me to try to get into the 15s. ;)

Take Care,

Scott
That would certainly make me smile if nothing else ;)

Do you have any idea if your engine is the same as in the euro VW Golf Mk3 TDI (90 hp)? I'm getting one soon, and I'm just wondering if the same nozzles that you use would fit my engine. 122 whp would be just great :cool:

Last edited:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
I'm pretty sure my engine is close enough in configuration to yours to say the PowerPlus nozzles will work fine for you.

Bojje

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 1,9 TDI -02
I've been reading a lot lately and I've found that a different set of nozzles and a remap gives you around 120 hp on our engine (90 hp 1,9 TDI).

How come you've got 140 + hp? I know you've got a homemade CAI and a mufflerectomy, but that can't bump up the power with 20 horses or am I missing something?

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hi,

I've been quietly testing a K03/K04 hyrid turbo. It hasn't been discussed here. But it's been listed in my top post... easy to overlook. Here's a photo (stock left; hybrid right):

Also, make sure you're distinguishing between BHP and WHP. My initial testing of the hybrid turbo made 122-WHP and 248-WTQ, up 9-whp and 12-wtq from the stock turbo. My best dyno run after installing RC3+ is 122-whp and 258-wtq. Using an apparently-acceptable transmission loss of 17%, that translates to ~147-bhp and 311-btq. Some folks only go by WHP, some like the elevated "crank" numbers. I provide both and let the reader decide which to honor. :cool:

I hope to try out other hybrid turbos soon. I'm also about to install a 2.5-inch DP and 2.5-inch Magnaflow cat. It may or may not give me any more power. But it'll look pretty and be legal. ;) I also have a PD lift pump waiting for installation. I only need to wait for this forthcoming storm to pass by. I'll get new baseline dynos next month; then start testing other hybrid turbos. :)

Scott

JayT

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2003, Silver Beetle, 2013, Moonrock
Stealth

don't want to hijack thread but suspect you are the one to ask about electronics. I want to put a scanner in my tdi. thought i might use a splitter/adapter on my am/fm radio (going for stealth myself) but someone suggested in another post that since the antenna is powered it could harm the scanner or at the very least the adapter won't work. you know anything about this?

Any other stealthy suggestions for antenna for scanner would also be welcomed. can send email if too off-topic

thanks a mil

RabbitsKin

TDI
just lurking
Stealth TDI said:
Nice Castellets... Are you running spacers with them, or do they just have a better offset than the stock 14" MKIII wheels? I passed on a set because I had my mind set on 15's, but those compliment the car nicely, esp. with the slight drop.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Jay,

I don't know much about the powered antenna. But I suspect a proper scanner antenna INSIDE the car will work better than an adapter connected to the powered antenna.

Rabbit - There are no spacers on the LeCastellets. They seem to fit identically to the stock wheels. :cool:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Second Place in my class at BugOut 61:

A closer look at the display with less text and more photos...

The engine with polished valve cover, IP top, and injector lines...

Less "junk in the trunk" at this show:

Seeing the front display which featured a photo of the stock and hybrid K03s side by side, the most commonly asked question was, "You added a turbo to your car?" :rolleyes: Oh well. At least they were looking. :cool: Come to think of it, I should probably remove that photo since it compels folks to think I should be in the "Modified Wild" class. I mean - Isn't a turbo swap a "Mild Mod?" :p

This might be my last show until H2O International. However, I'm considering the Knoxville Expo in July. I'll be heading to Texas to pick up my daughter and it might be fun to stop by a show enroute. :)

Take Care,

Scott

Last edited:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Nope. It's just a standard 4x6 utility trailer. I have a contractors lock-box strapped down in the center. It's positioned to secure the wheels in front of it. I normally don't haul wheels behind it. But I made an exception for when I transported the wheels to this photo site.

yosso

TDI
2004 Jetta
Very nice...

A link on google to your stealthtdi website turned me on to the VW TDI vehicles. Still have yet to purchase a TDI, but if I do, it's all your fault! :)

Keep up the excellent work.

Mike

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hi,

I just installed a new stereo that has a USB jack. I now have 8GB of non-stop music! :cool: Details on THIS PAGE.

Yosso - That's funny!

Take Care,

Scott

Last edited:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hi,

Is there such a thing as spending to much money on an old car? Naah! I picked up a Garmin nuvi 650 today:

I opted against the windshield mount and used the "dash disk" instead. I wanted to minimize exposed wires. I think I did okay. ;) The power wire tucks under the dash bezel. :cool:

Take Care,

Scott

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
The stealth look is blown, at least when viewed from behind. I had already posted about having the large HF antenna. But I didn't like the compromise made by sharing antennas via duplexer. I also wanted to get a dedicated antenna for each transceiver: FT-90R, FT-857D/HF, FT-857D/VHF/UHF, and CB. But I didn't need any more antenna mounts. So I made a tab that allows me to mount two dissimilar antennas to the same mount.

Here's a look at my weekday setup which allows me to park in a parking garage:

On Friday-Sunday, I bust out the HF-grand-daddy and share the center mount with a no-groundplane CB antenna:

My most distant radio contact to date was to Serbia, approximately 5000-miles away. Of course, all of the antennas can be quickly removed and stowed when I park away from home. Although the car looks like a porcupine with the antennas, the look is quite subtile with the antennas stowed and even with only the small, flat-black ones mounted. While the look isn't perfectly stealth, I'm still enjoying the hobby. Now I have to wonder when I'm going to go nuts and get a big amplifier and heavy duty HF antenna. This setup would yield 500-watts on HF and draw over 90-amps! :eek: I'll stick with 100W for now.

Take Care,

Scott