www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Mountain/Southwest States

Mountain/Southwest States Local discussions for those Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, & New Mexico

Old September 10th, 2005, 07:28   #1
KERMA

Default TDIFEST proposal GTG

I spoke with a couple of guys at the Edge diesel drags last night, and a couple of other guys seem interested in putting something together for next year.

Drag racing, road course at the new Miller track, Dyno testing, Biodiesel, all that stuff should be easy.

Let's GTG some SLC locals and talk about putting together a proposal. I can be reached at 435-830-5970 just about anytime but best is evenings and weekends.

Maybe next weekend at my place?
KERMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2005, 10:35   #2
Locosmotion
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: LOTS

I'm in for next week, I am free most evenings or weekends. Let us know.
Phil
Locosmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 06:11   #3
bluenb1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48 mpg avg

Quote:

Drag racing, road course at the new Miller track, Dyno testing, Biodiesel, all that stuff should be easy.

Kerma,
Great idea. One thing to look into. (We too looked into some track time) But, the track has huge liability issues. Be sure and actually check with them to find out what they will require. Insurance policy? Release waivers? General Cost/fees? Things of that nature. Just some things to check into.
Sounds like a good basis though and I'd love to come and check out that portion of the country. Made it as far as Yellowstone and Aspen/Vail/Breckenridge areas. I'll be a "spectator" this go round
Good Luck!
J
bluenb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 06:08   #4
MTB_TDI

Kerma,
I can't make it. I have to help my parents move in the afternoon and in the morning I have something scheduled as well. Sorry.
MTB_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 12:36   #5
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Default Re: TDIFEST proposal GTG

The track/competition doesn't necessarily have to be TDI'fest sanctioned/sponsored to be incorporated into the 'fest.
The 2001 fest was held in mid-September specifically to allow attendees the opportunity to race on the salt under the USFRA banner. There was also an SCCA autocross that weekend.
The 2003 fest in Toronto also had an unofficial track day at Mosport on the Monday following that fest. The track day was official, but it had nothing to do with the TDI'fest.
The 2002 Michigan fest had the show and shine at a local drag strip. Some raced that afternoon during the strip-scheduled "Run what ya Brung" event held each weekend. There was also a SCCA autocross scheduled for the Monday following the fest at the Grattan track.
These competition events were not part of those year's official TDI 'fest events. Individual 'fest attendees had to make the arrangements with the other event organizers.
The number of TDI'fest attendees that actually competed at these non-fest events was pitifully small. There would be no way that the few of us could have ever justified the expense needed to make a fest-only competition event.
The Boston 04 fest organizers recognized that the numbers of competitors among the fest attendees had been historically quite small. We suspected that the concerns about damaging the family's car during an event was enough to dissuade most competitors. We made arrangements to rent a track and vehicles to avoid this possible area of concern. We had reserved two hours of track time but cut that back to one when the response wasn't sufficient to warrant the second hour. We additionally let attendees know of other regularly scheduled competitions (drag racing, autocross) in the area that were not part of the official fest activities, but in which they could compete with their own cars if they so desired. I don't believe any 04 'fest attendees took part in these other events.
Track competitions appear to appeal to only a few as participants with a slightly greater number of spectators. Don't obsess that your proposal might not accomodate any high speed driving competition. It seems that as a group our interests are on other things.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 18:09   #6
MarshallDodge

Fuel Economy: Mid 40's.
Default Re: TDIFEST proposal GTG

Kerma-
You and I talked at the Edge event and I thought it would be a great idea as well. My life has been a little crazy lately and I should have some free time in February

Just kidding. Maybe sometime in October?
MarshallDodge is offline   Reply With Quote