Failing CCM?

torc_sst_873

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
My 03 Jetta is exhibiting a few unusual electrical quirks. Based on what I'm reading on here, it sounds like the CCM is the culprit. I do not have VCDS, but I plan on going over to buddys to get it checked. I'll post codes when I do.

Symptoms:
-Radio is not working, but receiving power (can eject/insert CDs, but no display or sound).
-Climate control lights are not working, but climate control functions without issue. The rest of the lights on the dash light up without issue.
-Intermittent window function, I have to press the button 3-4 different times to fully get passenger window to completely roll down/up. Driver window, once it gets moving, it will fully go down, but I have to press button a few times to get it started.

Looking at the harness inside the dash, I do not see any frays, shorts, or anything that looks worrisome. Fuses are fine. These symptoms are the only electrical issues. With an hour commute one way, not having a radio is a real bummer.

If there is anything else I'm missing that I should check, prior to VCDS diagnostic, I am all ears.

Thanks

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
The climate control bulb is behind the fan knob, have you changed it yet? Both of my Jettas have went through bulbs

Try a different window switch panel like from the salvage yard...

Try unplugging the radio from the back and give it a few minutes and see if it asks for the code

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
You can disassemble and clean the contacts in the window switches. Turn the fan knob to 2 and pull out - tiny little bulb in there.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
There is a tiny bulb behind the center control on the climate controls. They do fail.
Pull it off with pliers wrapped with tape and pull the bulb out with a small piece of tube. Youtube has videos.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I think I used an ink pen or some small fuel line...I looked at an LED bulb but that just didn't pan out for me...I hate changing that bulb

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I was real happy I could do it without any dash involvement.
That's a fact for sure...I was dreading it and then saw the video and off to AutoZone I went...it sucked because I wasn't familiar with the controls when I first bought it and was shift working, to have lighted controls was a God send

torc_sst_873

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Just an update, 2/3 issues have been resolved. Only remaining issue is the Radio. Does not throw a code in VCDS, even though there is nothing installed right now.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
VCDS doesn't "throw a code". It simply reads them. The car's various modules can store codes. So I have no idea what your statement even means.

Your original statement states "radio is not working, but receiving power".

So which is it? Is the radio installed or not? It 100% will not work if it is not installed. If it is installed, and will not work, and has power (and ground), the most likely culprit is a bad radio. If it is installed, and has power and ground, and VCDS will not communicate with it (but communicates just fine with all the other modules), then the most likely culprit is a bad radio.

Some cars' CAN Gateways will flag a DTC for no radio, some will not. 2003 should be the later double DIN unit, so I think it should. But if the radio is dead, and the CAN repopulated the bus index without the radio, it may no longer flag a DTC.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Some cars' CAN Gateways will flag a DTC for no radio, some will not. 2003 should be the later double DIN unit, so I think it should. But if the radio is dead, and the CAN repopulated the bus index without the radio, it may no longer flag a DTC.
Also note that doing a recode on the CAN gateway of this car will cause it to do a discovery on the bus, and any modules it finds become the "installed" list.

So if you run a recode with the radio unplugged, the gateway will think the car shouldn't have a radio.

TPMS gets disabled on the early Touaregs the same way.

-J