Leaking Injection pump???

Asbury030

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Golf
So I was just doing a normal oil check and noticed my fuel injection pump looked damp. So i checked it and I noticed that it is leaking at one of the top seals as it is making a little bubble and here is little puddles of fuel sitting in the ridges of the pump, as I further inspect I see fuel dripping from one of the lines below the injection pump. Could this all possibly be from the one seal? as I was going to try and just fix that seal.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Replace the seals and clean before and after and watch for wetness and smell

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Google the procedure, I'd recommend vcds to set your IQ afterwards

And you'll need that anti tamper tool too

Asbury030

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Golf
Thank you. Unfortunately I do not have VCDS or the tamper tool... SO maybe ill take it to a shop and see how much they would charge?

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I tried to get Cletus McFarland to put an ALH in his buggy and if I had you'd have the tools close by

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd do it for 20 bux but I've got a soft spot for mk4 Diesel's

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
If you're getting that far in there I'd replace the head seal. There's a great 7-part how to video online that goes into thorough detail of how to do the repair correctly. There's a lot of steps and things you have to watch out for but it doesn't look like too bad of a job.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
It's not too bad but, and this goes against my theory or replace when you can, if it ain't leaking don't bother it...I put one in and it's leaking so hopefully I hurt the seal and not something worse.

My pump head seal didn't start leaking until I ran 2 stroke oil through the fuel system... fwiw

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
It's not too bad but, and this goes against my theory or replace when you can, if it ain't leaking don't bother it...I put one in and it's leaking so hopefully I hurt the seal and not something worse.

My pump head seal didn't start leaking until I ran 2 stroke oil through the fuel system... fwiw

Interesting. I've been running TC3W for years now with no issues to any of the seals.

It's one of those things for me that if I'm that far in there to replace the seals, it's not much more work for me to get at that head seal.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
It may be that I stopped running it

Asbury030

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Golf
I just watched dieselgeeks video on changing the head pump seal. I had the top two seals leaking on my car and thought that would fix the problem, but once I fixed those two seals I noticed that it was still leaking from the bottom. Long story short I fixed the head seal (so I thought). My buddy actually had one of the green bosch seals laying around (which looks like it was already replaced once because the old one was green also). My issue is I cannot get the injection pump to prime and when I go to start the car it leaks worse from the bottom of the pump and get kinda an odd smell I think from overheating the pump?. I'm thinking either the seal got snagged and most likely will need a new one or I have a new leak somewhere, but from the video it sounds like the head seal did not go in correctly. I also have one more question, when putting tension on the fuel injection pump where exactly should I be putting the 19mm socket to turn the motor? I'm so frustrated with this thing. I was hoping I could do this myself for the experience and save a little cash, but it's looking like I need to take it to a shop where they say it'll cost like 200-300 to remove the pump and they say they usually send them out to get resealed and that's gonna cost like 500 bucks! ��

Last edited:

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
You should be turning the engine with a wrench on the crank bolt.

Smell was probably the starter.

Asbury030

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Golf
Thats what I figured with the smell. Thank you I'm gonna give it another shot tonight and be a little bit more careful and see how it goes before i turn it over to my buddy at his shop.

Asbury030

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Golf
Well... new head seal is on and it still leaks. Im thinking it's coming from that sensor one the bottom of the pump. Where can I send this thing to be redone?

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I just had a leak that wasn't the pump head seal and it turned out to be that weird 3 point plug

The o-ring was dried out and stared cracking. Had to cut down a 15/16 6 point socket to get the plug out and change the seal

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Yeah I think Im just gonna take it to my friend. Im tired of messing with it
You've done the hard parts already. If it's just that 3 point drain the pump, remove lines attached there, remove plug, replace o-ring, and reinstall.
Re-prime and let 'er rip.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I didn't even reprime...I did bleed the injection lines but it fired up and was good to go...

It took 20 minutes with a Dremel, it'd take less with a real grinder to make the socket work

You've done the hard parts already. If it's just that 3 point drain the pump, remove lines attached there, remove plug, replace o-ring, and reinstall.
Re-prime and let 'er rip.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Yeah I think Im just gonna take it to my friend. Im tired of messing with it
You should have changed all of the seals in the videos you watched. All of the seals are old and should be replaced as a set because even if you had gotten the correct one, it would be fair to say others may leak later.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
There's only 1 seal left to change and it's the 3-point socket head o-ring.
I don't know why you'd pull the entire pump and send it out at this point. Seems like a royal PITA. Not trying to take business from anyone, but there's only one left to replace and it's easily done!

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I know how it feels to chase a leak, it took me a week to convince myself that it was that gimpy plug leaking, I even changed the pump head seal twice hoping I had messed it up and that wasn't it. Found the thread about making the socket and found a junky chrome vanadium 15/16 and got it done, finish strong and swap that seal...