Ac clutch resistance

rpm-inc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 beetle, 2015 golf s
2000 beetle alh

I went through and replaced most of the ac system earlier this year. It was working great, even just this morning. No ac just now all of the sudden. Clutch not engaging. Checked resistance on the clutch and its about 35 ohms. Not 3.5, 35. So this clutch is toast?

I really want to fix it this long weekend. Which means probably buying a used compressor to take the clutch off of. Do other vw models use this compressor or is it alh specific.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Last edited:

rpm-inc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 beetle, 2015 golf s
New clutch coil came today. Tested that one with the same meter. Started at like 25 and then slowly dropped to 8.x before the pins slipped off the terminals. Got a different meter, and the new coil reads 4.3 steady. Went back under the car and coil reads 6.5. Guess the original meter is no good? Is there a chance it is still the problem?

Should mention that it has worked twice since the original post. The FCM is only a couple months old. Febi I think from ID parts.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I've never seen a coil be intermittent or outside of the ohm spec (other than wide open). Pretty much they are either good or bad. Check batteries in meter and also check zero (two probes touching together). I'm guessing that was the cause of the slightly high resistance.

rpm-inc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 beetle, 2015 golf s
So it was working again this morning when I didn't need it. I have noticed that when it does work it is relatively cool out. When I do need it when its 95 out, it doesn't work. I will do some more testing tomorrow.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Check fuses 3 and 8 in the fuse box above the battery.
Clean the connections. (long shot)
Should have power all the time.

Also fuses 5, 16, and 25 inside the car. Should have power with the car running.
Check for clean and tight connections.