2012 Jetta TDI won't pass NYS inspection due to DPF

glenn.szymanski

TDI
2012 VW Jetta TDI
I've tried reading through other threads, but I really don't know enough about cars to understand what's being discussed. I live in Buffalo, NY and bought this car new in 2012, have had all the oil changes and services done. It currently has 122,215 miles on it. Over a year ago the check engine light starting coming on and then going off. At the time I was visiting my mother in Ft Myers, FL and took it to the VW dealership there. They informed me that it had to do with the DPF filter and that it had to be replaced and would cost thousands of dollars. The check engine light stayed off for a long time, but recently came back on when it came time to have the car inspected. I took it to my local diesel mechanic (I stopped taking it to the local dealership a long time ago because they overcharge for everything) and had him reset the check engine light. But it still wouldn't pass inspection because some sensors hadn't reset. It's now been a few months and I've gotten 2 tickets for not having my inspection done. My local mechanic (who I like, but has a bit of an accent and is difficult to understand sometimes) said something about the DPF and not feeling comfortable trying to remove it or clean it out at his shop. I just want to take my car to a mechanic that has experience with fixing this issue and isn't going to charge me as much as the dealership. I'm willing to drive a few hours. Any suggestions?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Unfortunately, the several thousand dollar fix is most likely what your car needs.

CKelley

TDI
2012 Jetta
Did you have the emissions modification done? If so, I believe the DPF is covered if the phase 1 modification was completed within 4 years or 48k miles.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I imagine you've received correspondence from VW regarding the emissions fix available for your car, along with compensation from VW that goes with it. If you go through that process you'll get a new DPF for free, along with compensation.

At this point I' not sure what the process is but contact VWoA or your dealer and they can help you out.

glenn.szymanski

TDI
2012 VW Jetta TDI
I had the modification done last year, the car was probably around 100k miles at that time and was over 5 years old. And I received the compensation.

I hadn't heard about this free DPF as part of that. I'll give a call. Thanks

Rodmiser

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta s\DSG 2015 & 1&2 FIX
And replace all rubber vacuum lines, and EGR line to. Every 50,000 miles
That way you will make sure the DPF KEEPS working.

Last edited:

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Execline 3.0 V6 TDI; 2012 Jetta Highline TDI
I had the modification done last year, the car was probably around 100k miles at that time and was over 5 years old. And I received the compensation.
Good news - since you've had the Emissions Modification done - you're covered for an additional 4 years and [in Canada 77000km (automatic) or 87000km(std)] from the date and mileage of the modification installation.

I just going through the replacement of a leaky EGR pipe under the warranty and my car is now 6 years old with 290,000 kms on the odometer (I think thats 180k miles)

Check the extended warranty specs for the US to be sure....:)

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB

Get to understand exactly what the extended warranty that comes with the emissions fix does for you. not only the DPF is covered, but almost any item which causes the check engine light to come on (due to engine or exhaust systems)