2003 TDI FEST Any Volunteers?

The Ripster

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time
Now is the time for any location to decide if they will sponsor, plan, and host the 2003 TDI FEST. You will need to submit your plans to Fred by TDI Fest 2002, so that the next host country or site, can be awarded at the Banquet TDI Fest 2002. Rumors have floated around for Canada, and there is a thread here by Jim Williston for across the pond:
Across the Pond

Serious contenders get your plans together and to Fred by August 15th so Fred can bring them to the Fest.

SteveS

Veteran Member
TDI
00 NB automatic TDI
I would like to see Canada get the chance, especially since this site is hosted there. However, since Fred alone has to make the decision, I think he should not have the pressure from competing groups.

eluwak

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp Pkg 2 Black/Anthracite
I'm plan on putting together a package for the Orlando, FL, area.

Just to help with, what things should we look out for when choosing a good site?

-Hotel rooms
-Drag strip/Race track
-Stomping ground for the cars shows and demonstrations

Anything I'm missing?

The Ripster

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time
There are no set ideas, racetracks are not a necessity, it has just worked out that way, anything you come up with that is a showcase of the TDI that caters to the fanatic in all of us.
Steve, Fred has help in the decision making, I believe he picks a few attendees from each Fest to help make the decision.

[ May 21, 2002, 03:45: Message edited by: The Ripster ]

SteveS

Veteran Member
TDI
00 NB automatic TDI
Originally posted by The Ripster:
.... Fred has help in the decision making, I believe he picks a few attendees from each Fest to help make the decision.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You're right. I remember that he also ran a poll the last couple of years.
My vote is for Canada.

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
How about a joint Montreal/Burlington, VT Fest?

C'mon, Vermonters, step up to the plate!

Jim Williston

Veteran Member
TDI
silver 00 NB
well, since the "fest over the pond" seems to have sprung a leak and sunk, how about beautiful BC? This might satisfy those who thought SLC wasn't really "west" enough, give our northern neighbors a chanch to show off some of the Canadian scenery, and present a real challenge to the mpg crowd. For most USA drivers, it would be a good excuse to do some serious sight seeing through the Canadian Rockies. For Californians, just a quick blast up the coast (turn right at Seattle for some high mtn air).
Would still ove to go to Germany, but doubt it will happen.
Jim

Jim Williston

Veteran Member
TDI
silver 00 NB
What must I have been thinking? Mountains, turbos, there is a bad connection there. I wonder if VWOA would buy me another turbo since I belched one in SLC? It is a cheap way to get a cleaned out intake system, and 3 extra days at lake Louise at their expense seems tempting.....hummmmmmmm.
Jim

doctorkb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
I'd love to see one here in BC or Alberta... I think Kelowna would be nice -- not quite as busy as Vancouver, more resort town-ish.

Lake Louise, Banff and Jasper also rank high on the list... but room rates there are terribly expensive during the summer months.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Just some ideas/comments that have been relayed to me and some first hand experience:

1) Make sure there are enough local people to help out. The lead time is good to get something organized, but remember some peole move, may loose interest, or end up not being able to help out as much as first though. There should be enough people incase the unfortunate happens.

2) Events should be close by. Some people will drive a long way, and not all of them want to do a long drive from location to location.

3) To start with, see what interest others have, what venues might be good. If things look good, get some rough ideas on the availablity if locations/costs etc.

Hope this helps.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
Originally posted by SteveS:
I would like to see Canada get the chance, especially since this site is hosted there. However, since Fred alone has to make the decision, I think he should not have the pressure from competing groups.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The more places to choose from, the better. I haven't had a chance to discuss this with others in the area, but don't feel afraid to come up with ideas guys!

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
Originally posted by TDIMeister:
It would be sooooo cool to have one in Germany.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
Ya it would. I had hoped it might happen, but I guess TDIs are just too common in Germany and it is a far distance to go to a car GTG without one's cars.... Maybe if VW offered us all a weeks free rental of a TDI......

(keeping my fingers crossed)

kwhiner

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS Silver
Another possible location is the southern coast of California. Last fall there was some talk that the owner of Capistrano VW might be interested in hosting or possibly helping out with sponsorship of a Fest in their area. Some of you SoCal boys might want to contact Miles at CapoVW and see if that offer still holds. After the success of the january 2002 Capo GTG it might be worth a shot. Besides someone has to give those right coasters a run for there money.

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
there's talk of doing it in maryland. stay tuned! there is biodiesel nearby as well as places to stay.

TDI Believer

Responsible For Global Warming
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
I vote for an East Coast DC area Fest for next year. I'm willing to spearhead the thing. I know many from the DC/MD/VA contingent would help out. That's a commitment if y'all want to take me up on it.

Jim Williston

Veteran Member
TDI
silver 00 NB
A German TDI club was anxious to have 2002 Fest, and considered delaying a year until 2003. Now is the time to step up to the plate and make an offer we can't refuse.

There is still time to re-instate the offer to hold the fest in Hanover/Frankfort during the summer season when hotel rooms are "available"
Gentlemen, it's your move.............
Jim

**DONOTDELETE**

Does it seem appropriate to have 2003 in Richmond, Kelowna, or Cache Creek, BC?

However, it's probably time to have it in the southwest, perhaps Texas, Arizona, or California.

[ September 02, 2002, 10:15: Message edited by: je ]

MaryP

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI, GLS, 5 speed
I would love to see it happen in the DC,VA,MD area. Is there anything I can do to help long distance? I am in the Charlotte, NC area.

BongoBrains

Veteran Member
TDI
01' Golf GLS Silver/Blk
Originally posted by JOE OLEARY:
Canada works for me.
Joe
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That sounds good to me as well. There's a group of us discussing a road trip to Alaska next year. Having a Fest location that "grooved" with the Alaska trip plans would be very interesting indeed.

Are there any members near the Canadian Rockies that could pull this off? It sure would make for some beautiful areas to drive through...and a perfect excuse for some to make the extended trip north on the Alcan.

Just a thought...

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
Canada might work,

I'll put a double hand vote for Eastern Shore.

RC as kingpin and I think there are enough people there that can support it and make it happen. FWIU there is some good biodiesel out there too

I've got authorization and agreement that i'll not be traveling alone this time (my family WANTS to go to a TDI GTG on the Eastern Shore).

And looking at things - if we push it just past labor day to take advantage of off peak stuff or at least reduced tourist load on the Eastern Shore I think I cna make it work! Not that it matters if I can go or not but i sure as hell would like to. This one was fun!

BoraTdi

Veteran Member
MD/DC/VA area is great by me, as is Florida, but the first choice is a great central location for some of our best members, and there is a large contingency there. That's still my first choice.

PS - Rich is a great host

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Ok! I am in on this!
RC rode with me to the fest and drove my Passat in the mileage rally (I was Navigating!)
We discussed the idea of a fest on the Eastern shore Extensively!
We came to the conclusion that this is doable! But the dates may be a problem!
Labor day weekend is OC's last summer weekend and is out! The last weekend is the H2O
VW show and is also out!
But a mileage rally could work Fabulous scenery in the area. Beautiful resort town off-season
Pick-em on Hotels!
Drag Strip close by (Not as nice as the Michigan Dragstrip though!
We will need an active and commited group like the Michigan group to accomplish though!
I am and will assist as needed!!

JerLon

If the thought is to go to a East Coast state, think New York, maybe Buffalo? Keeping it closer to the middle of the country so not everyone has to travel days and days. Or If you want more southern maybe like Charlote.

TDI Believer

Responsible For Global Warming
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
We have some nice attractions out this way. Summit Point Raceway for one. I was thinking perhaps we could have a performance driving school on one of the days - for something different. I happen to know a guy who teaches them for BMWs. Summit Point also has "Friday At The Track", where after a little instruction you can take your car out on the BIG track. We also have Skyline Drive for the ultimate mileage run. Canoeing and rafting on the Shenandoah River, the Appalachian Trail...and a VW dealer that would likely lend support. Nearby Winchester has lots of hotels and restaurants, and it's right on I-81.

Also, lots of Civil War (War Between the States) sites here too, like Harper's Ferry, Antietam, Manassas, etc.

[ September 02, 2002, 18:10: Message edited by: TDI Believer ]

Switca

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
Originally posted by TDIMeister:
It would be sooooo cool to have one in Germany.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Maybe Bartlet can make it to Germany on one tank, but I cant. Then there's the problem of water-tight integrety and water ingestion by the engine.