1Z AHU IP Timing

h.ubk

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI with 1Z Engine
Hi All,

I purchased rebuilt injectors from DBW and am trying to figure out how to set IP timing on the 1Z. The ALH instructions seem clear, but I'm not getting the procedure for the 1Z.

I am looking at P. 3 of this:
http://www.dbwllc.net/app/uploads/2014/09/DBW-Pump-Timing-Procedure.pdf

Unfortunately, I am nowhere near the car right now. It might be more obvious if I could look under the hood, but I'm trying to prepare with the tools and info for the job.

The PDF says I need a cam-shaft counter holding tool to rotate the cam sprocket. I do have one of these, but I don't think I can rotate with it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-...f:g:cP4AAOSwiuxawFvO:sc:UPSGround!90815!US!-1

Can I just rotate the crankshaft instead? Or do I need a special part?

I did find a Youtube video with this procedure and it looks like the IP is being adjusted with a box wrench. The PDF says:

"Using a pry bar, push or pull the pumps rotation until the timing is at the top of the timing range, tighten the front bolt only and relax the pry bar."

I have no idea how to do this. Does anyone have a pic that might help? Alternatively, are there any howtos with real photos?

Thanks,

h.ubk

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Don't rotate the motor using the cam. The belt is there to turn the cam and pump at 1/2 the crank speed not to rotate the crank at 2:1 against compression.

If critical thinking is not enough to convince one it's a bad idea one can refer to the manual which says to rotate the crank.

If one still wants to turn the cam take a look at what the tensioner is doing during this.

For the timing adjustment the pump rotates in its mount. Moving the top of the pump toward the rear advances timing. It says to tighten the front bolt, which isn't really visible in that illustration, because that's the only one accessible while the engine is running. It'll make sense once you look at it.

Last edited:

h.ubk

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, I didn't like the idea of rotating by the cam. It might be more convenient, but I would rather rotate the crank and be safer.

I saw the below video which shows the procedure. It looks like the guy is adjusting the pump with a 13mm? wrench. I'm not clear on why you would use a pry bar instead of a wrench. Is he adjusting with the fourth mounting bolt or is there a fifth bolt for the adjustment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZWWjPhtl-c

h.ubk

Last edited:

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
In that vid he is using the wrench to loosen/tighten the pump mount bolt and is moving the pump with his left hand. If you can't move it by hand you pry.

You are fighting the fuel pipes when you move the pump so it can take some force.

This reminded me. Once the adjustment is complete you should loosen the nuts on each fuel pipe and retorque to relieve any stress.

h.ubk

Veteran Member
TDI
I completely missed that when watching the video. I was looking for an adjustment nut like with the ALH. Thanks for clarifying. I think I understand the procedure to try it out.

h.ubk