05 passat, starts, but can't be put in gear

Petesaguytdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Bhw Passat
This is a weird one that started after 2 days of heavy rain (maybe coincidence)

The car will start, and initially will show a workshop emissions error and the fasten seat belt symbol. The seat belt symbol goes off when the belt is secured, and at the same time the workshop display goes away.

What is odd is that the brake light indicator on the dash display does not come on and the one by the gear shifter stays red, pressing the brake pedal does not change the light to green and I cannot put it in gear.

the check engine light, a yellow triangle with a ! and circled by an arrow headed yellow line, plus the ABS light is on constantly.

First run at this was to hook up my obdII dongle and check for errors, but no communication. Tried a pc with vagcom and still no joy.

I checked fuse #12 and it is good, as well there is power to ground from the left side of the fuse slot.

There is no power across pin 1 to 16 on the obd outlet with the ignition on

I Checked behind the firewall by the battery to see if anything in there flooded and all is draining well in there. (drain holes were cleaned out a few months back).

I am not familiar what the yellow triangle symbol is means for starters and Looking for anyone with ideas or a similar experience to this that may have a quick answer or some ideas.

I assume the ignition switch may have something to do with powering the obd port, but not familiar how that is done, ie relay or straight off the ignition switch.

Radio is factory so no k line issues. Unless I have two issues at once I doubt there is an issue with the brake switch, but will have to check just the same.

Any and all Ideas welcome to brain storm my next steps.

Thanks

JonnyObnoxious

TDI
05 VW Passat, 12 VW Touareg TDI
Rain? Have you kept your sunroof and battery drains clean? Is your carpet wet?

Pull up the trim at the bottom of the trim door sills. Under the carpet, just in front of the seats, you will find big black plastic boxes. On the left (driver in US) is the CCM; it's the controller for your windows, door locks, alarm, etc. On the right is the transmission control module. Inspect both those areas.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I agree, first check for neglected sunroof drain damage, although your description does not sound like it has anything to do with those items.

Next, I would check all the fuses.

See if VCDS can communicate with the CAN Gateway first... everything goes through there.

Never seen an ignition switch problem on a B5, and I suppose they also have a load reduction relay but I have never seen a problem on a B5 with that either.

Even if the TCM was totally dead, or even unplugged, you can still start the car and pull it out of Park. The car will move even, just full unregulated line pressure (so a harsh engagement) and only one fixed forward speed (4th I think) and reverse.

Petesaguytdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Bhw Passat
I was aware of the tcm and ccm and will be checking for moisture today. Didn't notice initially any moisture on the carpets, but do realize it can pool underneath.

I only checked that the drains appeared to be doing their job by the battery, but a physical check to be sure is in order.

Sunroof is a no brainer, I failed to mention this car does not have one and the windows were closed so only the drains in the battery compartment may be a concern.

I have an ecu coming and a spare tcm from a 5 speed swap. If no moisture is apparent it may just be bad luck and something died.

One Question though, is the OBD power always live at pins 1 and 16?

I know the ignition needs to be on to take readings from the ecu but guessing these terminals may be live all the time. Mine are dead with or without ignition on.

All fuses checked visually and physically with a meter and none are open circuit.

Last edited:

Petesaguytdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Bhw Passat
fixed

So here's the scoop.

Standard water drain issue with a twist.

last time I was working on putting a heater jacket around the battery one of the round gaskets that go on the wiper blade stem disappeared.

No big deal, right? :rolleyes:

Turns out it is a perfect way to bock at least 2/3 of the drain hole. The raised lip on it positions it perfectly in the drain hole and it took very little debris to block it up .
Tie that with heavy nonstop rain for 2 days and the passenger side was indeed flooded.

First sign of water found was wet carpet under the passenger seat.

Cleaned and dried everything, replaced tcm with my spare and now all good. Tomorrow I check to be sure no water is under the drivers side.

Cleared codes and all appears to be working fine now.

Thanks for the assist everyone.

Last edited: