Malone tune

Zabel51

TDI
2014 white GSW
Thinking of getting a Malone tune for my GSW 6 spd manual. I like the idea of the extra torque from a Stage 1 tune. A couple of questions come to mind;
Should I have a VCDS if i get a tune?
Do I need to worry about driving at altitude with a tune (Colorado or New Mexico)?
Given the Dieselgate guffufel, I'm thinking I should have a way of getting back to the stock tune. Is the best way to purchase a Flashzilla gizmo and store the stock tune?
I'm probably overthinking this whole thing. I would rather know the investment going in with my eyes open.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
A tune wakes the car up for sure. You should get a VCDS period if you are going to do any work on your car, but not necessary just because of the tune.
It will work as well as it did at all altitudes, a good tune is transparent except for the power and torque increase.
After the VW fix your tune will be gone and have to be reinstalled. If you have an installer you can revert back to stock before the fix so as not to look too guilty, and right back to tuned after if you desire.
I suspect the major tuners will make some kind of retune deal even if you do not have the flash device. I think I remember Kerma advertising a fix after the fix deal, and I imagine Malone and any other reputable tuner will too, so it might not be necesary to purchase one. Call and ask, they will have good answers I am sure.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
I wouldn't be so sure that the tuners will give any discounts given the situation of the Dieselgate, they might even stop offering tunes for road legal cars. If the EPA goes after them, they'll wish there were never born. Look up what happened to the O2 sensor emulator company.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
I am in the same boat, I currently have a Stage 1.5. I might start looking for a stock ECU.
PS The EPA, a US dep't, might get neutered under the Drumpf administration with Pruitt in charge. We DO indeed live in interesting times.
As Don says, Drive More, Worry Less...or Have Fun.