Brake Lights DEAD - 05 Passat

Jonahphile

TDI
Passat 2005 TDI
A while ago my glow plug light started blinking and the ESP and ABS lights came on as well. at the same time, someone mentioned that my brake lights were out. So, I naturally went to the fuse box and found that fuse number 13 was blown. My first thought was a bad brake light switch. Having read on this site, and on Passatworld.com that several people were having problems with their brake light switch, I replaced it. but, the fuse still blows! a

There is a wrecking yard close by so rather than try to chase down an electrical short, I thought I'd just get a replacement switch from the wrecking yard. I installed it and the problem was gone! at least I thought, it worked for one day and then the fuse blew again.

So, I've spent a couple days trying to track down the issue doing everything from taking out the taillight bulbs to removing some of the modules under the dash, thinking that if one of them may have a short--I still have a short and the fuse still blows.

Any thoughts?

All of the posts I read concerning brake light switch problems never mentioned whether the fuse for the brake lights would blow or not.

Jonahphile

TDI
Passat 2005 TDI
Yes, I believe you are correct. My car had that campaign completed, but from what I've heard it was simply a brake switch upgrade to the current version.

Alchemy

Veteran Member
TDI
None thanks to dieselgate
Find someone with VCDS and scan to see what is wrong, or simply replace the brake switch for $42. Yes Virginia, even the 'new' ones fail.

Yes, I believe you are correct. My car had that campaign completed, but from what I've heard it was simply a brake switch upgrade to the current version.

peiphil

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat GLS TDI and big old Dodge Cummins TDI
Go and get a sealed beam headlight and put two wires on to it.
Crimp some flat spade connectors on to the wires and plug them into where the fuse goes
When the short happens the headlight just gets brite and nothing is damaged.
Its a real good troubleshooting tool for intermittant short finding!

Jonahphile

TDI
Passat 2005 TDI
Find someone with VCDS and scan to see what is wrong, or simply replace the brake switch for $42. Yes Virginia, even the 'new' ones fail.
Yes, I realize a new one might be bad, but I've never had anyone with this problem say whether their fuse blew when it happened.

Update: I got a new switch from the dealer for $11. It was so cheap, I thought I might as well try it.

While there I asked a guy in the service department what he thought it might be. He asked if either of my vanity light in my sun visors didn't work. It so happens that one of them is out. He recommended I take them off, unplug them, and see if that is the cause. (never heard of that problem before)

Did all that, but the fuse still blows.

Jonahphile

TDI
Passat 2005 TDI
UPDATE:
Dealer found a problem in the wiring harness. It was located in the passenger foot-well.
Apparently the some mosture had caused the harness to lose its insulation and it was rubbing against the body. Most likely moisture from getting wet in the winter (snow on feet, I guess). I now have rubber floor mats.

Last edited:

campingalan

TDI
05 Passat Wagon TDI
Bumping the thread.... I just had the flashing glow plug light, as well as the ABS and Traction control light steady stay on. After reading threads like this, saw the brakes were a common cause. Had wife see if brake lights were on or off when I pushed the brake pedal; the brake lights were not activating. Looked at the brake light fuse and it was blown. It actually was blown pretty bad; there was a melted hole in the center of the fuse body. Replaced the fuse and the problem went away.

Do you guys think it would be good to replace the brake light switch too? Or, just see how the new fuse does?

JonnyObnoxious

TDI
05 VW Passat, 12 VW Touareg TDI
Bumping the thread.... I just had the flashing glow plug light, as well as the ABS and Traction control light steady stay on. After reading threads like this, saw the brakes were a common cause. Had wife see if brake lights were on or off when I pushed the brake pedal; the brake lights were not activating. Looked at the brake light fuse and it was blown. It actually was blown pretty bad; there was a melted hole in the center of the fuse body. Replaced the fuse and the problem went away.

Do you guys think it would be good to replace the brake light switch too? Or, just see how the new fuse does?
Check in your left hand footwell under the carpet. There is a bundle of wires there connected to a computer module in a not very sealed box. All sorts of electrical problems come from issues in that section of the wiring harness. While you're there, open the box and check it all for moisture, corrosion, and exposed wiring.

campingalan

TDI
05 Passat Wagon TDI
Ok....thank you very much. I somewhat forgot about all of the electronics under the floor on both side. Add to it, it has only rained here once in south west CO since I got home from overseas in January. So, I definitely didn't think about moisture issues.

I will definitely take a look under there though !