Brake+ABS light & 3 Beeps

ichoric

TDI
2002 Jetta
Been trying to figure this one out, but so far no luck. Even took it to the dealer, and the problem didn't happen so they didn't look any further.

2002 Jetta TDI ~180K miles.

Problem:
When first starting up the car, everything is fine. After driving about 30-seconds to 1-2 minutes, the ABS and Brake dash lights flash on once, go back off, accompanied by 3 beeps. Sometimes the pattern happens twice or three times. It ONLY happens when the car is just starting a trip; if is driving for 5 minutes, it doesn't happen again.

Usually when this happens, after the trip, when I turn the engine off, everything resets (clock, trip odometer.)

Again, the dealer couldn't figure out the problem.

I tried removing Fuse 41 (my lighter fuse) to see if it was a short in there (based on comments here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=167657), but while it started happening less (maybe 2 times a week rather than once per day), it didn't fix the problem. And with the fuse still removed, the problem seems to be happening pretty regularly now.

Also, when first starting the car I can tell if it's going to have the problem fairly easily, because the blue backlighting on the radio isn't solid - it flickers. (Tried turning off the radio to see if the problem would go away - it didn't.)

The dealer did a charging check on the alternator and battery, and both checked out fine.

Anyone have any ideas for what I can do/check? I'm not exactly a mechanic, but I'd like to at least track down the problem to have someone more skilled fixed it, if needed.

ichoric

TDI
2002 Jetta
Seems like I have a more unique problem that I anticipated. Bummer.

Couple other things: The light flashing and beeping only happens when the engine is cold. If I drive for a while, stop to go shopping, then start going again, it doesn't happen. Doesn't even happen as often when the weather is warm. (Dropped from the 90's to the 60's over here, and now it beeps every single time; when the weather was warmer, it was mostly only happening in the morning.)

It also seems to be related to RPMs. Going downhill in neutral doesn't cause the issue; once I'm in gear and hit 2000-2200 RPM, that's when it happens.

I don't think it had anything to do related to fuse 41 (cig ligher), so I put that back in. I did remove the radio fuse (forgot the number) to see if the problem still happens. I guess my theory is that there is a short somewhere... I'll report back if I find anything; maybe somebody else will have a similar problem and they'll know what not to check. =)

raikky

Veteran Member
TDI
vw polo 1.4 tdi se pd
ive had the saem thing happen to me 5 or 6 times in the last couple of years. doesnt happen often though like you. i used to have it more when my brakes were ****ed. replaced them all and i rarely get abs light on which was alwasy on.i found a trick to stop it but not a cure. it hasnt happened for months now.

ichoric

TDI
2002 Jetta
Pulling the plug on the radio didn't work. This morning the ABS light stayed on for quite some time, along with the flashing BRAKE light. (I thought the flashing lights meant failure is imminent...but the brakes work fine.) My brakes were replaced about 6 months ago...the problem just started happening about 1-2 months ago.

While all the lights were going on the beeping was happening, the entire console kept dimming, getting brighter, and dimming. Now, even turning on the rear defroster makes the backlight of the dash flicker.

I suppose now since it's happening almost every time, if I take it back to the dealer, they'll have a snowballs chance to figure it out.

Is there a sensor or relay somewhere that may be shorting (...but only when the engine is cold?) Seems like a stretch...

Silentmunky

TDI
03 Jetta GLS TDI
I am currently having the same issue. I had the 3-beep sequnce happen three times this morning. I pulled my scanguage out and got 3 codes P0673(glow plugs, I've been lazy this summer), P0118, and P0128. Those last two refer to temperature sensor: VW 059919501A. But I have had electrical issues for awhile. If I try to roll down several windows at a time, I can dim my interior lights. I even notice my headlights dim that way too. The past couple days the 3-beep has been happening more, and when rolling up several windows I got my radio to stop playing a cd for about 3-4 seconds. I think there is a short somewhere or a bad ground.

Just figured I would let you know that you are not the only one.

sirpuddingfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat, 05 Jetta
Most likely a Bad Wheel Speed Sensor / ABS sensor (same thing), which should run you about $30 delivered from any number of parts sites and is a pretty easy fix as long as you don't have an issue jacking up your car and removing a wheel or 3. Of course, you'd have to figure out which one is the cause first. Or, you may need to get your ABS module rebuilt/replaced (rebuilding will save you hundreds and you can drive your car while it's being serviced). For rebuilding, I have heard modulemaster.com is highly recommended.

The 3 beep sequence is your ABS module faulting out. It may well be due to a voltage issue or bad ground elsewhere. In my humble forum experience, checking under the battery tray for a loose ground is a good place to start.

Silentmunky: I have been able to dim the lights on the 3 VWs I have owned by rolling up multiple windows at once (much less noticeable on my Passat). It may have something to do with why window regulators seem to need to be replaced in these vehicles so often.

ichoric

TDI
2002 Jetta
Checked under battery tray - not sure what exactly what I was looking for, but I did see a couple orange wires securely fastened to a couple of bolts on the chassis. No signs of fraying, anything loose or corroding.

So here in the PacNW, we had some cold temps a few days ago, and the lights and beeping was going off all the time. Now it's back to the 70's and 80's, and everything is fine. Would cooler/damp conditions somehow make the ABS more prone to faulting? Also, is there a way to test the ABS control module? For $100 I wouldn't mind having it rebuilt, but I'd have to pay somebody to take it out and put it back in...so it'd be handy to know if that's actually the problem.

Same deal with the ABS sensor - but I suppose if it's in the process of dying, I can just wait until the dash light is on all the time and then take it in to have somebody figure out which one, and replace it.

Silentmunky: I haven't noticed my headlights or anything getting dim, but when my car is having its problem, turning on the rear defroster makes the blue backlight flicker... and at one point, after my car had been off for a while and the electronics reset, the power doors didn't work - seemed like they didn't have enough "juice" - until I started the engine.

Maybe VW should have sensors that detect when sensors are going bad... =)

Thanks for the ideas, and if anyone can think of anything else, it'd be greatly appreciated! For a 10 year old car with 185K miles, the engine still runs strong...

Last edited:

Silentmunky

TDI
03 Jetta GLS TDI
Mine does the same thing during cold/damp times. Especially when it is raining. I had my drivers floorboard get wet once from too much rain and having those older stlye drain nipples that like to accumulate debris. I think that has caused some form of issue. I'm just far too lazy to get under my dash and look for anything since this is an Intermittent issue.

I may just go through and check all my fuses for corrosion and then get to work on my grounds. I do not think this is an ABS module or sensor issue. If that were the case then hard braking/spirited driving would cause this to go off. Or one would think it would that is.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
There should be a code stored that can be read using VCDS; a generic scanner will not be able to access the ABS module.

I had this warning and it was a wheel sensor that was occasionally not reporting. I believe the owner's manual indicates that the warning can also be tripped due to low brake fluid level.

esqilax

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf, 03 Jetta.
I'm having a similar problem with my 2001 golf.

When it's cold (like this morning 0c ) scangauge shows voltage at 9.5v but when I test my battery voltage with a multimeter it shows 12.4v. This morning I started the car to go to work. Turn on my lights, radio and heated seat. Back out of the driveway, start driving down the street. When I'm shifting the lights dim( dash lights, headlights) and radio completely turns on and off between gears.

When the car is running scangauge is showing 12.8v to 15.2v. It doesn't hold a steady voltage on scangauge. ( my jetta holds 13.9 to 14.3 all day)

Alternator is new and I've swapped them between the cars ( 2003 jetta 2001 golf ) battery is new.

Ideas???!

ichoric

TDI
2002 Jetta
This forum has a pretty handy feature at the bottom of the posting...shows related threads. Given that, the related threads that all appear to have the exact same problem:

1. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=260076
No resolution.

2. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=253618
(Links to: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=253289; one solution was a loose bolt in the alternator (not entirely sure what that means.) Others have no resolution.)

3. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=244151
No resolution.

4. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=81795
Resolution 1: Bad ABS pump/module.
Resolution 2: Wiring issue (not much in the way of details.)

5. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=73797
Resolution: Loose battery terminal; fixed terminal tension bolt.

So really, this appears to be all over. I've checked all my fuses (including those on my battery), pulled the battery to check the grounds (nothing looked bad)...but when I put my battery back in, I tightened it real good. Haven't had a problem since then - but then again, it hasn't been cold/rainy and that's the only time it happens, I don't want to say my issue is fixed.

With that said, tomorrow is supposed to be rainy up here in the PacNW, so I'll take it for a ride to see if the beeping and lights behave themselves. If not, I'll try finding a gravel pit (or a driveway other than my own) to slam the brakes to see if the pump is dead or dying - or at least test to see if ABS is working at all.

As far as the codes: the dealer I go to (Dick Hannah in Vancouver, WA) is a place I trust, but with that said, their quality of people seems to have fallen quite a bit in the past several months. At any rate, they said that there were no errors that needed to be purged...and I have no reason to not believe them.) And the battery + alternator both check out fine.

Still looking for other ideas, so if this has happened to you, please let us know how you fixed it!

Thanks again!

ichoric

TDI
2002 Jetta
Ever since I took the battery out to try to find something wrong...and then put everything back in, the problem hasn't happened again. It's been a few weeks (including cold/wet conditions), so I'm going to figure this is resolved. Bad connection..? Weird how that happened by itself, though.

Next up...the car shudders when shifting. I'll start a new thread for that if I can't find a solution, though. =)

JC_1992

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, 2001 Jetta GLS
Most likely this is an easy fix and just a ground not making full contact. There are three ground posts under the battery tray. Remove the battery and tray, clean the posts and all connection ends. My jetta does this almost every time it rains for an entire day. Once cleaned and i put some di-electric grease on the contacts it doesn't come back for a few months.

If this were a faulty ABS untit. The ABS light would stay on constantly and every time you started the car you would get the brake light flashing and three beeps. Trust me I have replaced two of these units one in my 99 passat and one in my 02 jetta. Same exact symptoms and both fixed the exact same way.

Try cleaning the three grounds. I am willing to bet this is your problem.

kempfta

TDI
2003 Jetta
All,

I had the exact same issue. This post described it exactly. Only happened when the car was cold and about a minute after the car was started. ABS, brake and traction control lights all blinked and 3-beeps occurred. I could almost kill my car trying to roll up all four windows at once. I had mine to the dealership and the found nothing, only codes that appeared were for low voltage.

I have solved the problem for my situation, however I did several things so I'm not sure exactly which one did it. I removed my battery to inspect the ground wire as suggested in this post, I also did a visual inspection of the wires wiggled them making sure nothing was wrong. I didn't see anything that would indicate a loose connection or bad contact. I also changed my fuel filter and air filters during this time so I'm not sure if doing that contributed to fixing this issue or not. My fuel filter hadn't been changed in quite a while. I also had the battery tested to make sure it was ok, it was fine. Put everything back together and amazingly the issue was gone.

Reading this thread it looks as though more than one person has had the issue go away after removing the battery and putting it back in. Therefore, its like this is due to a loose connection or something along those lines. Not sure if the fuel filter contributed but I could see a clogged or poor flowing fuel filter playing havoc with the ECU and computer.

Todd

Joeviocoe

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 VW Jetta TDI (Mk4) 1.9L ALH 5spd [VNT-17/22 Turbo, RC4, PP520 Nozzles]
All,

I had the exact same issue. This post described it exactly. Only happened when the car was cold and about a minute after the car was started. ABS, brake and traction control lights all blinked and 3-beeps occurred. I could almost kill my car trying to roll up all four windows at once. I had mine to the dealership and the found nothing, only codes that appeared were for low voltage.

I have solved the problem for my situation, however I did several things so I'm not sure exactly which one did it. I removed my battery to inspect the ground wire as suggested in this post, I also did a visual inspection of the wires wiggled them making sure nothing was wrong. I didn't see anything that would indicate a loose connection or bad contact. I also changed my fuel filter and air filters during this time so I'm not sure if doing that contributed to fixing this issue or not. My fuel filter hadn't been changed in quite a while. I also had the battery tested to make sure it was ok, it was fine. Put everything back together and amazingly the issue was gone.

Reading this thread it looks as though more than one person has had the issue go away after removing the battery and putting it back in. Therefore, its like this is due to a loose connection or something along those lines. Not sure if the fuel filter contributed but I could see a clogged or poor flowing fuel filter playing havoc with the ECU and computer.

Todd
Although the Warning Beeps and Lights may be the same. The problem they represent could be a dozen different things.

My problem is NOT intermittent at all. It was intermittent for the first few weeks it happened, but it has been consistent for the last 3 years.

I checked the ground wires, the voltages have all been checked, the battery and alternator have been replaced already, I am on my 3rd (or 4th) ABS Control Module.... and I STILL CANNOT communicate (with anybody's VAGCOM) with the ABS Controller. I CAN still communicate with the ECU (Engine Controller) and the Airbag Module.

I am still stumped and still desparate for new ideas. Please help!
:confused:

chromeBuddha

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual
If you haven't yet, get the codes read by someone with vag-com. The generic OBD-II scanners will often not get codes that do not generate a MIL/check engine light. Vag-com will be able to pull codes from all modules and should narrow the troubleshooting down.

How is your brake fluid level?

Joeviocoe

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 VW Jetta TDI (Mk4) 1.9L ALH 5spd [VNT-17/22 Turbo, RC4, PP520 Nozzles]
If you haven't yet, get the codes read by someone with vag-com. The generic OBD-II scanners will often not get codes that do not generate a MIL/check engine light. Vag-com will be able to pull codes from all modules and should narrow the troubleshooting down.

How is your brake fluid level?
Never said I used a generic OBD-II scanner.

I have a VAGCOM. Also, I have used VAGCOMs from 3 other mechanics. Nobody, even with different VAGCOMs and cables can access the ABS Module.

I have had a brake fluid flush too. So the fluid level is fine.

------------

First things first, I am sure the ABS warning light could be the fluid sensor, or a wheel sensor, or something else simple. But I NEED to be able to communicate with that module to know.

This has been years. I have done the simple solutions already. I need some fresh ideas.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I would look under the cowl cover and see if water is accumulating due to clogged drains.

ichoric

TDI
2002 Jetta
My brake fluid level should be fine (now, at least.) Just had some work done, which included checking all the fluids. The beeping has come back since my last post, but maybe with the latest service, the beeping will go away.

As far as VAGCOM - I'm guessing whatever the VW dealer uses should be able to get the same codes..?

rowingdude

TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDi
I just got the wrong brake pads and my car warns me that the brakes are not working right because I have no speed sensor. That is my best guess!

ichoric

TDI
2002 Jetta
Solved..?

So the problem kept coming back routinely...until now! Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure what fixed it. I took it to the dealer to replace the timing belt/tensioner/water pump, and a "minor" service.

Since then, no flashing lights, no beeping, no flickering of my interior lights, no occasional resets of my trip odometer, no locks refusing to unlock with the remote button.

Probably not helpful, but here's a list of all the work performed. The "inspect" parts are likely even less helpful, since it was probably a glance and "OK" but this is the best I can do for my "fix."

Replaced engine oil with VW required oil by model.
Replared engine oil filter with VW OEM filter.
Inspected and adjusted washer fluid, engine coolant, brake fluid & power steering fluid levels.
Perform auto shift lock inspection - check operation including park/neutral position switch.
Inspected front & rear brake system for damage, leaks & pad thickness.
Rotate four tires.
Inspect tires for wear or damage and correct tire pressure including spare.
Check interior & exterior lighting systems.
Perform battery inspection - check electrolyte level if equipped.
Drained & inspected water separator.
Performed timing belt inspection.

Replaced timing belt tensioner and water pump.

Wish there was something a bit more reasonable to base to "fix" on...

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
They fixed a ground while they were in there and considered it so trivial that they didn't make note of it or charge you.

Bill

MagicMan

TDI
Silver on Black 2002 VW Golf GLS TDI
Just searched this in google...

I have the same issue. Only happens when it first starts and occasionally later within the first 5 minutes of driving.

I bought the car used for 6k. 2002 Golf TDI Auto. 145k miles. Fully loaded. I didn't have the 3 beep issue when I bought it, but then again it was a very hot part of the summer.

After buying, I did the following:
Replaced rear bumper cover (was in a light rear-end, hence the awesome price.. looks mint now)
Air Filter
Oil, Oil Filter
Fuel Filter
In cabin Air Filter
Cleaned Intake Manifold
Cleaned EGR Valve
Glow Plugs
Timing Belt
Timing Belt Tensioner
Water Pump
Serpentine Belt

Misc:
16" Two-Piece BBS RXII (Wolfsburg Edition) Wheels
Installed EVRY mod with in-dash switch and adjustable 1k Ohm potentiometer.
Installed GTI Tails
Installed Smoked front corner lights
Installed ECode HID Glass housing Projector headlights with Projector foglights
Installed Factory Foglight switch. Wired to foglights
Tucked away HID Ballasts...
one strapped to Windshield washer fluid reservoir
other unde battery cover (there is a reason I'm mentioning this. I'll get back to it)

Not sure if any of the above may have caused it, but one day I started my car... heard the beeps, let it run... popped the hood... noticed smoke coming out of the battery cover. I thought my HID Ballast was burning alive. Turns out it wasn't, however it sure was hot as all hell. Upon further inspection, I noticed the red power cable going to my battery was so hot... it was smoking and melting some of the red insulation for the wire near the positive battery terminal. I got really frightened, because any short that causes a wire to get that hot, must be serious. I double checked how my ballast was seated on top of the battery off to the right (away from the connectors) and didn't see any issue there. So tonight when I get home, I will completely remove the battery, double check all connections... perhaps remove all of them, re-seat them, and spray them down with anti-corrosion spray (the red stuff, I forget what it's called but I have a can of it).

My guess is that when I tampered with the battery positioning/cover when installing the HID's, it must have nudged some connection that was barely hanging on because of age... and caused the issue (based off of what I've read here). So I figure doing the above should be the best shot at figuring out the problem.

I will report back in a week or two after re-seating the battery/terminals to see if that did the trick.

Just so you all know, I get the same symptoms. Flickering blue back-light on radio. Excessive dimming when activating anything that requires amps, such as windows/defogger/wipers. It shuts off the radio for a moment (dips the voltage level too low, and the radio shuts off, then after the amp spike goes away and voltage stabilizes... the radio turns back on).

I am ignoring any advice on speed sensors/abs modules/brake fluid as my experience has shown that this issue is not a failure of a component, but rather a short. Loose ground doesn't even make sense to me, but I guess it's worth a shot. I'll be re-seating everything near the battery area, even positive terminals as I feel it may just do the trick.

I'll report soon. Feel free to PM me with any questions/feedback/direction.

ichoric

TDI
2002 Jetta
Started happening again in the last couple weeks. Figured I'd ignore it, until my car didn't start last night. Turn over the key, and all the power drained away (with the car off.) Same with hitting the brakes, lights...radio wouldn't even turn on.

Popped the hood, and the black cable on the battery was incredibly hot. Unhooked it, had it towed to the shop.

Shop just called: "I hooked up the battery, and everything is fine. Why'd you have the car towed in?"

Explained it to him, and he said they'll do some more tests... the shop is one of them recommended on TDIClub, so hopefully they figure it out this time; the dealer had no idea last time.

juice

TDI
none, it's a 1.8t
please keep us updated on this. i’ve been suffering with this problem for over a year on my mk4 gti. i’ve had it in literally five different shops including an auto electric specialist and two dealerships. all of them shrugged their shoulders. such bs. battery’s new, alt charges ok, grounds are clean, connections tight. i have personally checked the grounds under the batt tray. they’re clean and tight.

i’ve only experienced the three beeps thing twice, and the occasions were six months apart. second time was last night. my car has actually died a few times when coming to a stop. the flickering and dimming is always worse at idle, and it seems especially hard for the system to power itself at the point of a stop---the headlights will dim/“blink” at the moment the wheels stop rolling. occasionally this choke (purely electrical, the engine is more than healthy) is so much that the entire car including engine just shuts the **** off. always starts right back up, no problem. recently though i’ve gotten flickering and dimming in the dash and headlights even when the engine is spinning above idle if i strain the system with the stereo or power windows. then tonight, i came to a red light and all the electronics cut completely off (i.e., blacked out) for a second and then came back on, but it didn’t kill the engine---first time it’s done that. then i pulled into a grocery store and the car died as i came to a complete stop in the parking spot. went shopping, came back out and drove home with no issues. gotta love it.

this issue has had so many different symptoms that come and go. i’ve never noticed the brake light thing, but occasionally the ESP and/or triangle with circular arrow warning light(s) will illuminate in conjunction with this bull****. i’ve also seen the clock/odometer reset happen a couple times, not for awhile, however. i think whenever that happens the reset occurs at the point the key is turned to start the car since it’s always 12:00 when i notice it. on that note, i’ve sometimes seen the ignition switch suggested as a possible fault to flickering electronics. dunno, haven’t tried to replace mine yet. can’t say i notice any relevance of temperature in my experience. it’s happened in the dead of summer and the fall too.

mentioned some of this stuff to a new friend the other day, and without actually seeing it his mind immediately went to plugs. he’s gonna look at it sometime soon, will update whenever that happens.

Last edited:

Tight5tdi

TDI
Jetta, 2003, Silver
me2

I have these symptoms as well...
1) started with the Air Bag light,
2) replaced the clock spring and nothing....
3) replaced the air bag itself and that fixed that one for a couple of years
4) Airbag light then came back
5) replaced the clock spring .. nothing
6) then the break lights and beeping started (only when it is cold and more when it is damp) ABS still work was able to test on a wet road
7) Check engine light came on with a code of glow plug #4 low voltage (or something like that)
8) replaced the glow plugs and still have the check engine light and beeping and air bag light

Other things that are happening once in a while --
1) driver rear door lock does not work
2) lights dim
3) clock/odometer resets
4) engine would not start again after a short drive (sounded like a dead battery) turned the key several times and then it started

slyk

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 6spd
This problem seems to be specific to '02 and '03 model years, at least from what I've read. My '01 has had none of these issues. My '03 though has had a lot of the issues mentioned in this thread.

I have had no ABS + BRAKE + 3 beeps while the temperature has been warm. When it's cold outside (50ish degrees and below?), I get it almost every time. Sometimes just once, sometimes multiple times during the first couple minutes of driving the car. The lights don't stay on long, but it definitely happens.

A few months ago I got an airbag light the day after I washed my car. I pulled the code and it was the passenger front igniter. I could clear the code but it would come right back. I replaced the airbag and the light/code went away.

I have also had radio backlighting issues (flickering or non-existent), but it's very intermittent. Additionally, I have a headlight bulb (right front) that seems to get replaced way more often than it should....possibly a symptom of the same problem.

I have yet to have any door lock issues or problems with my clock/trip odometer.

I agree that a vehicle ground could be the result...I'll have to pull the battery box out and check for corrosion on the grounds underneath. This is a challenging gremlin to work out since the symptoms are all over the place. It is the only thing I can really complain about with my '03...if the problem gets worse I will be really frustrated as I thought I was buying the "perfect year" of TDI.

Tight5tdi

TDI
Jetta, 2003, Silver
I pulled the battery out and checked the 3 ground wires, when I was taking the nut off of the 3rd one the stud snapped. It did not take a lot of force, so I put the wires from that post onto the 2nd one.

Since I have done this, the problem stopped for about 2 weeks, then did it twice (two different trips) and has been good since then.

all symptoms appear to be gone except the Air Bag light