Climate Control light not working even with new bulb

aktartt

TDI
2000 Golf
My Climate Control light went out suddenly on my Golf 2000 (with no advance warning like flickering or intermittently on/off). I replaced it with a Sylvania 2721, but it still isn't working. I was careful to insert the new bulb with the correct orientation and even tried the second new bulb that was included in the package. Still not working. (In fact, the old bulb didn't look burned out.) The HVAC fan works fine as well as the backlighting for the AC and Recirculating Air buttons.

Is there a fuse that controls this particular light? If so, what number is it? If not, what else should I check?

Thanks.

aktartt

TDI
2000 Golf
My error: I didn't have the bulb oriented correctly. The vacuum tubing method for reinserting the bulb is apparently more precise than the double-sided-tape method. Thanks, Lance.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
HEH, i never saw this thread until now. Glad you figured it out.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
How difficult was it to get to the bulb? This on my to-do list on my car.

Thanks for the bulb number!

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Is this the standard HVAC control stuff? If so, one pulls off the middle (fan speed) control knob (use pliers with some protective material, rubber, on the knob and pull straight out). Bulb requires some rubber tubing or similar to remove and install: this part is tricky.

Can anyone say why a light would tend to be intermittent? One in the wife's car (2000 Golf) will drop out and then it'll come back on if you rotate the knob around. Hadn't really heard of this scenario before, which is why I jumped into this thread.