Dogbone Mount threads stripped

charlieruu

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Automatic, 239,000 miles
So the other day I was replacing my driver side control arm, which on automatics is a pain. I had to jack up the transmission so I unbolted to two front bolts on the dog bone, not the subframe bolts. I know these are stretch bolts but when I went to loosen the front most and short stubby bolt is was very loose. Then when I went to thread it back in it just kept spinning and I could hammer it all the way in. It didn't seem like there was any tension on this bolt either. So helicoil?

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
So the other day I was replacing my driver side control arm, which on automatics is a pain. I had to jack up the transmission so I unbolted to two front bolts on the dog bone, not the subframe bolts. I know these are stretch bolts but when I went to loosen the front most and short stubby bolt is was very loose. Then when I went to thread it back in it just kept spinning and I could hammer it all the way in. It didn't seem like there was any tension on this bolt either. So helicoil?
I fixed one that was stripped out on my daily driver with "QUIK STEEL". Filled the bolt hole with the QUIK STEEL and threaded the bolt in the best it would go. Not the ideal fix,but it's still holding 1 year later.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
JB weld a/b mix is junk imho the stuff you mix that comes in a stick form is epic though, yea same idea.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
I'm guessing it's the same concept as jb weld
QUIK STEEL has a faster cure time than JB WELD. I fixed a hole in a Beetle oil pan, a hole in an automatic transmission pan, a hole in a trucks back up air tank.(off road use only) and a dozen other broken parts. The great thing about it is you knead it with you fingers and can smooth out the finish with a drop of water.

I'm SOLD.

4 wheel enthusiasts carry a stick of QUIK STEEL with them for emergency repairs in the field.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Funny how people just torque the hell out of those bolts (and the oil plug bolt)

There's just no excuse for torqueing them so darn tight.

BTW, although those bolts are YTT, I've never changed them on anything I've worked on. They do not come in the kits from the vendors that support this community.

Clean the holes out with Carb cleaner as well as the bolt and use JB Weld.. it will hold.

EDIT: Or go with the Quik Steel .....

Last edited: