Would a stick shift A4 TDI wagon be a good car for new teenage driver?

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, 99.5 Jetta...previously owned 2000 Beetle and 1990 Jetta 1.6
"There was a day when manual transmissions were much more reliable than an automatic" Fletchman

They still are more reliable.

The key here is MUCH MORE reliable. The gap between the two used to be wide. It's much narrower than it used to be.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Wow my daughter was driving and the hot light went on: she pulled over and turned off the car. Then she called me. My daughter grew up watching me work on cars and it must have paid off. On her car it was the water pump impeller that came apart.

I came to her place with tools and she did 95% of the work.

Taught the same daughter to drive a stick: foot off go pedal, let that clutch out without stalling, clutch in shift into 2nd. It took about 3 blocks and she had it figured out.

Of course her mother would fight with her and she would come out to the garage to commiserate and help me.

Two sons... two overheated TDI's. . . :rolleyes:

They both knew they had leaks. (one at the plastic thermostat flange, the other in the middle of the outlet hose where it rubs against that rubber block that keeps it out of the fans). I nagged them both endlessly to get it fixed. They both drove anyway. Eventually; overheat resulted, in both cases. In the first case it was a catstrophic seize-up during rush hour. In the second case, apparently just quietly blew the head gasket.

(You know you've "arrived" as a father, when your son runs the car out of diesel on the freeway in Chicago, in 20-degree weather, pushes it the last 1/4 mile to the gas station, calls you long distance, and you talk him through a fill-up, buying a 17-mm crescent wrench so he can crack the nut on the #3 injector to bleed it and get it to start).:cool:

(Just wish he had fixed that outlet flange. The part was like what; $20?; + $80 worth of fresh G12 :rolleyes:).

I agree with the Camry idea; though the Toyota RAV4 was an awesome platform, because the kids sit up a bit higher, have better visibility, and can see where they're going better. And also a little better protected in collisions. Older RAV4's though are kind of in higher demand than camry sedans so they're a few hundred bucks more.

My daughter also overheated her RAV4, but that really wasn't her fault - the previous owner did a half-ass job on the TB, and didn't replace the water pump! That was my first head gasket replacement, and she got another 100k out of that truck before her dirtbag boyfriend "borrowed" it and wrecked it.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Wow my daughter was driving and the hot light went on: she pulled over and turned off the car. Then she called me. My daughter grew up watching me work on cars and it must have paid off. On her car it was the water pump impeller that came apart.

I came to her place with tools and she did 95% of the work.

Taught the same daughter to drive a stick: foot off go pedal, let that clutch out without stalling, clutch in shift into 2nd. It took about 3 blocks and she had it figured out.

Of course her mother would fight with her and she would come out to the garage to commiserate and help me.
I love this story.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It was still in use in 2006 here, behind the base 2.0L engine in the Golf, and through 2005 in the 2.0L engine Jetta and New Beetle. I suspect it is still in use in some markets somewhere in the world.

It dates back in some form to 1988 though.... which is a pretty long run for an automatic transmission. Ford just recently finally dropped the 4R70W which is an updated version of the old AOD from around 1982. It died with the E-van, that dates back to 1974.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
"02J 5-speed conversions were popular" 20IdigoBlue02

Still are. Best thing I did when I got hold of my auto a year and a 1/2 ago.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
"02J 5-speed conversions were popular" 20IdigoBlue02

Still are. Best thing I did when I got hold of my auto a year and a 1/2 ago.
Amen - best $3000 I ever spent on the car.... Took care of everything I didn't like about the car....