Cam shaft locking pin?

1945GPW

TDI
2005 Jetta 2015 Golf
Anyone know where I can get a cam shaft locking pin for the 2015 Golf tdi? I've been googling it and cant seem to find one for the 2015. Thanks!!

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
Anyone know where I can get a cam shaft locking pin for the 2015 Golf tdi? I've been googling it and cant seem to find one for the 2015. Thanks!!
It looks like there are two locking pins necessary for doing work on the camshaft or the timing belt:

1. Diesel Injection Pump Locking Pin - 3359: This one appears to be for locking the timing belt camshaft sprocket. I think it's the same pin used on the ALH for locking the injector pump. You can find this one on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/3359-Diesel-Engine-Timing-Repair/dp/B00VDVS7EQ

2. Locking Pin - T10492: Looks like this one is for locking the second camshaft to the cylinder head. Appears that Snapon sells this tool: https://vw.snapon.com/SpecialToolsD...gine, Fuel &Cat_ID=1030&Cat_Name=Engine, Fuel

I have the shop manual in PDF form. Let me know if you need any pages. I'm a little confused why the first pin is needed, maybe that's just so you know it's TDC?

Last edited:

1945GPW

TDI
2005 Jetta 2015 Golf
The Cam locking pin is so I can replace that oil timing control valve. In the video he said its necessary to lock the cam shaft to take that valve out so I assume its just to hold the cam shaft while you break tq on the valve.

The pin I'm looking for goes through the Valve cover and locks the cam shaft, do you know which one does that?

Does your manual show the torque range for the valve and housing? If so that would be great if I could get that from you. Thanks!!

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
The Cam locking pin is so I can replace that oil timing control valve. In the video he said its necessary to lock the cam shaft to take that valve out so I assume its just to hold the cam shaft while you break tq on the valve.

The pin I'm looking for goes through the Valve cover and locks the cam shaft, do you know which one does that?

Does your manual show the torque range for the valve and housing? If so that would be great if I could get that from you. Thanks!!
Something is wrong here. Can you post a link to the video?

In any case the tool you are refereed to is not actually a "lock" tool it is used to index the cam to a specific position. If you use it to "lock" the cam while you loosen a component you will probably just break something.:eek:

Do you have a P/N for the valve you are referring to? It sure sounds like a VVT control valve which is timed electronically using the non variable cam as a reference for position. Without pics I'm just guessing here.

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Something is wrong here. Can you post a link to the video?

In any case the tool you are refereed to is not actually a "lock" tool it is used to index the cam to a specific position. If you use it to "lock" the cam while you loosen a component you will probably just break something.:eek:

Do you have a P/N for the valve you are referring to? It sure sounds like a VVT control valve which is timed electronically using the non variable cam as a reference for position. Without pics I'm just guessing here.
He's looking to replace this oil control check valve (associated with the VVT control valve): 03L906455C

That's right you wouldn't want to use the pin resist the rotation of the cam to loosen a bolt. I wasn't sure the best term to use.

Last edited:

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI

I believe you actually need both pins. The first pin positions the cam that is driven by the timing belt. The second pin positions the cam that you are working on, that the valve is attached to.

Yeah, I'll look up those torque values for you.