r headlights in a golf s

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Has anyone done this? The adaptive feature isn't important to me but I think the Spanish Valeo hlights might be quite a bit better than even Ed's China ones.Has anyone tried using good h7 bulbs in a hid projector housing?

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
The golf s has halogen lights. The lighting package is only available on se and sel trims. If you want OEM golf hid (or even OEM golf R), you need to switch out the wiring harness and cecm, as well as a ton of VCDS coding. There are some threads on it. It will take many many hours, cost a lot, and give you a big headache. This is all without the cornering or adaptive leveling. I looked at it and had no desire to even attempt that

Your best option is to go with a Chinese replica. (Please let me know if there is a non-Chinese replica for $500 and I might switch mine). Among them are helix, winpower, and eds. From the golfmk7 forums, eds is the best. Here is my write up on it

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=483175

Overall I'm happy with them. Happy enough. I do wish there was an easy way to get OEM

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
My thinking was to either use a good aftermarket hid kit with them d2s bulbs and night breaker lasers for the high beams and not use the vw ballasts

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think the Valeo projectors are a bit better than the Chinese ED's

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
I have the Ed's., had an issue with aligning one, so have to make do unfortunatly

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I would suspect the projector lens might be just a bit better on the valeo;s. Adapting the drl led's may or may not be an issue? gtr lighting led gen 3 bulbs might also be a possibility.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The levelers and turning feature should be adaptable to use momentary toggle switches.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
After playing around with a couple r headlights I've decided that they may be more trouble than I need. Ed's lights. are high and low beams separately adjustable? Left/right adjustable? People here seem to feel that they aren't as cheezy as the winpower, helex depo, ones and the lenses give good light pattern? I'm refering to Ed's r replica ones. Thank you everyone.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I've read good reviews on the GTI Alltrack threads, but don't have first hand expereince with them.

If I stumbled across $600-700 I might pick them up, but then again APR stage 1 tune, or TCU tune would be nice too.

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
After playing around with a couple r headlights I've decided that they may be more trouble than I need. Ed's lights. are high and low beams separately adjustable? Left/right adjustable? People here seem to feel that they aren't as cheezy as the winpower, helex depo, ones and the lenses give good light pattern? I'm refering to Ed's r replica ones. Thank you everyone.
Here is my write up on Ed's replicas I posted recently. I couldn't find the adjustment knobs diagram anywhere online so I emailed Ed and he sent me a picture which I posted. My set needed the adjustment for sure but YMMV

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=483175

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
I have Ed's and they are great and best of all, for you (or anyone looking for them) they just went on sale today! :D

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
I bought mine for $480 a month ago. It is now $450. Not a huge discount but might as well save $30
They were like $600 4 years ago I think. I paid almost 700 for a set on my mk6 in 2012. I see $480 as cheap compared to that

Last edited:

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
I bought mine for $480 a month ago. It is now $450. Not a huge discount but might as well save $30
They were like $600 4 years ago I think. I paid almost 700 for a set on my mk6 in 2012. I see $480 as cheap compared to that
That price does not include the $150-$200 for a HID ballasts, bulbs, and wiring, right?

I feel like I've seen the current sale on his website for months.

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
A set of morimotos h7 kit will be about $150 on top of everything. Under $500 has been the price on the site for a while. I wasn't expecting a huge drop for black Friday so I decides to get it last month instead of waiting. It is still a good price for what you get