www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old October 21st, 2017, 00:39   #16
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Back in the 60's, my dad used his manual tranny car for mail delivery and IIRC, he never really had clutch wear issues. He never rode the clutch. It was either engaged or not engaged with very little slip on engagement. Cars had bench seats back then so he put the sorted mail on the drivers side and drove from the right side. Sure looked bazaar............

Probably not the same driving situation as yours. My wife's 6 speed auto Camry is a blast to drive. She really gets P.O.ed when I come home from driving somewhere and I mention how much fun her car is to thrash.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing

Last edited by Ol'Rattler; October 21st, 2017 at 00:44.
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 14:43   #17
Wolfdie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Rattler View Post
Back in the 60's, my dad used his manual tranny car for mail delivery and IIRC, he never really had clutch wear issues. He never rode the clutch. It was either engaged or not engaged with very little slip on engagement. Cars had bench seats back then so he put the sorted mail on the drivers side and drove from the right side. Sure looked bazaar............
Probably not the same driving situation as yours. My wife's 6 speed auto Camry is a blast to drive. She really gets P.O.ed when I come home from driving somewhere and I mention how much fun her car is to thrash.
Nice! I do the same to my wife's 2015 kia optima hybrid. She gets 40-50 mpg. When I bring it back it has .... 20ish
Well got the crap pulled of the front. Discovered the turbo actuator is busted so either replace that or some how use it as an excuse to get a upgrade turbo
Gonna call it a day. Dam fever is kicking my ass though I want to continue....

Wolfdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 19:21   #18
Wolfdie

Finally got back to work after getting sick and busy with other stuff. Yesterday I pulled the good engine. Today I mounted it to my engine stand, started pulling broken parts and inspecting it to the best that I can. To what I can tell by just looking at it the timing belt, water pump, tensioner and cam look like they have recently been replaced. Here are some pictures sorry for the crappy lighting and quality

Last edited by Wolfdie; November 13th, 2017 at 19:34.
Wolfdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 11:58   #19
1sloVR4

Any chance you'll be parting out the car? I so need an Inner timing belt cover which was taken out from a broken block

Speaking of broken blocks...I would highly recommend replacing the upper engine mount bracket with the newer version 03G199207G. These blocks can't take the stress from repetitive removing and torquing the bolts of the engine mount bracket. As you can see, it bolts onto a little nub on the engine block and alternator/AC bracket. It's just simply poor engineering.

If that ever happens while driving at considerable speeds, expect catastrophic damage. I considered myself lucky and it only took out the upper and inner timing belt covers.
1sloVR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 15:37   #20
kbaisley
Veteran Member

Do not use the timing belt. You have zero history on it and the risk reward is not high enough. It's cake to slam one on with the motor out. Pop in new water pump as well. I always throw in a thermostat. I would also recommend the one coolant housing on the drivers side of the head. Its 30.00 or less. It's up to you, I try and replace the common failure parts while I go thru it. The cam, you need to verify it has the chamfer edge on the lobes.

If you drive that DSG for a while, I would recommend at a very minimum, checking the DMF for play. Personally, while its out, you can throw one in for $325.00. It is really easy to do it now ;-)

You should be able to part out and pull in some dollars to cover these items. I will drop you a PM, I am looking for a cluster, ecm and a steering wheel.

Last edited by kbaisley; November 14th, 2017 at 15:42.
kbaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 15:40   #21
kbaisley
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sloVR4 View Post
Any chance you'll be parting out the car? I so need an Inner timing belt cover which was taken out from a broken block

Speaking of broken blocks...I would highly recommend replacing the upper engine mount bracket with the newer version 03G199207G. These blocks can't take the stress from repetitive removing and torquing the bolts of the engine mount bracket. As you can see, it bolts onto a little nub on the engine block and alternator/AC bracket. It's just simply poor engineering.

If that ever happens while driving at considerable speeds, expect catastrophic damage. I considered myself lucky and it only took out the upper and inner timing belt covers.
I know the feeling.. my current car dropped the engine down when the mount broke. Took out the inner and outer timing cover, cracked tab on block, the mount and a hose. The Van Gough bracket solved the problem. (Put in a new belt, water pump, etc while I was repairing - bought it broke after ins co totaled it out for the prior owner)

Last edited by kbaisley; November 14th, 2017 at 15:44.
kbaisley is offline   Reply With Quote