2012 headlight conversion to 2013 HID?

jcart

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDi Malone Stage 2, Rawtek.
Our 2012 T has the incandescent bulb system in it. I've done a bunch of research and basically come up with nothing. Is it possible to swap in the 2012-2013 HID system? My understanding some of the 2012s came with the HID system. The incandescent system provides less than adequate light for our night driving needs.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks j

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Do the buyback and buy a 13/14?

Sorry, had to. Also know Canada is a bit different.

Do the 12s have a projector? Might just throw aftermarket HID kit into stock lights.

Dpthomas

TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Sport
I have a 2013 and agree that the light output is awesome. A significant challenge with attempting a conversion would be the adaptive headlight piece of it. The headlights receive input from the steering so that the lights move left or right in the direction that the vehicle is being turned. It's a great help on dark and winding back roads at night. Will be interested in hearing how your LED install goes. We have another VW with halogens that might benefit from that solution.

jcart

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a 2013 and agree that the light output is awesome. A significant challenge with attempting a conversion would be the adaptive headlight piece of it. The headlights receive input from the steering so that the lights move left or right in the direction that the vehicle is being turned. It's a great help on dark and winding back roads at night. Will be interested in hearing how your LED install goes. We have another VW with halogens that might benefit from that solution.
I'm not to concerned with the horizontal axis (right, left) it'd be more the vertical auto adjustment I think. Not wanting to blind oncoming traffic. Our '15 Jetta has the adaptive headlights and they are really nice.

In respect the the auxiliary LEDs they are on order and am looking forward to fitting them behind the grill. I just installed a set of 6" optima VisionX 10 watt per chip (two chips per light) in the front bumper of my pristine '97 powestroke pick up. Those little lights are wicked bright..... with 12 similar (chip sets) compared to installed 4, in the light bar in behind grill of T Reg should be daylight when on.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Are the headlights different between a 2012 and a 2014?

jcart

Veteran Member
TDI
Are the headlights different between a 2012 and a 2014?
Our Canadian 2012 has incandescent bulbs:mad: 2013's forward have adaptive projectors, meaning it's a projector HID that self levels and steers (points... adapts) around corners, also have LED Day time lighting. Very nice light if they are anything like out 2015 Jetta.

j

NoobyT

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Kufatec in Germany do short looms so you can remove halogen headlight units and replace them with xenon units.

They are very helpful and speak English so pick up the phone.

https://www.kufatec.de/