www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old April 5th, 2017, 10:48   #1
stamp11127
Veteran Member

Default Radio upgrade

Wondering if anyone has installed a newer receiver with sirius, bu camera and hands free phone? If so, what brand, model and your opinion of it.
My wife's Fiat has them and they will spoil you over time.
Old April 5th, 2017, 16:13   #2
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

I have a Parrot Asteroid Smart - installed 3yr ago, does all of the above except sirius. It works well, even got a conversion module to make the steering wheel controls function. The hands free is very reliable, BU camera is 90% - every so often it won't recognize the camera. The built in Nav is passable.

Since my number one requirement is good hands-free calling, I'm quite happy with it.

Drawbacks are that they are no longer made new, so would be hard to come by. I think there are a few threads on chinese-made android units - do some searching.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 16:21   #3
johnboy00
Veteran Member

This is only slightly relevant information. I installed a Pioneer AVH-X3800BHS in my wife's Toyota minivan at Christmas time. I specifically got a unit that would also fit my Passat and hope to add it in the spring. I bought a cheap $20 Amazon back up camera. Installation was easy with the crutchfield kit and there were only 2 wires, plus the back up camera that needed to be wired off the harness. Crutchfield has kits for the steering wheel controls for VWs.This model has no Sirus, It works great and my wife loves it.

2005 Passat Wagon
1999.5 Golf
johnboy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 19:56   #4
stamp11127
Veteran Member

Thanks for the replies so far. I have been searching and comparing different models but it also helps to hear from others that have already swapped out units. One thing I've learned in my "old age" is to listen to peoples opinions especially when they have pointers or say "I wish I had done..."
Old April 5th, 2017, 20:38   #5
vwztips
Veteran Member

I installed a Kenwood into my brother in law;s 2013 Passat with all those features. Works and sounds great

I strongly recommend using Crutchfield. Very knowledgeable and no hassle returns if needed
vwztips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2017, 16:15   #6
Jake Brake
Veteran Member

I installed a Kenwood DDX 372bt a while back. I thought the Monsoon stereo sounded good. This is a lot better and I have bluetooth and backup cam
Jake Brake is offline   Reply With Quote