Alh rebuild for longevity

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Oh, yes, I remember you, Taylor. You believe I lied to you, maybe about 4 years ago. It would not be the first time the facts were manipulated from the same source. I could demonstrate the proofs, but it's not my call to advise people against any particular vendor, unless I can absolutely prove they are swindling people. For example, JBMorrison, who bilked people with his fake Brazilian Bosch knockoff nozzles. He is no longer there to steal from people, as I vetted him out.

I only know that we regularly fix the mistakes made by other shops. And the reason is, the TDI is an engine with very specific idiosyncrasies that we very well understand.

Here are a few reasons customers find our work to be superior. 1)We always torque-plate a cylinder head when honing. 2)We balance rotating assemblies. 3)We particularly re-balance flywheels, because we find the 'factory' job is not all that good. 4)The deck height job we do is very accurate and we find this is often done incorrectly. 5)Head studs are needed only if the issue is excessive boost and high horsepower requirements. 6) We use name-brand parts, from known quality vendors. 7) We use cutting-edge technologies for improved ring sealing and piston treatments. 8) I don't know how others get away with it, but honing a re-ring job is necessary, as without doing so, the cylinders are glazed and the rings take forever to break-in. 9) We work very tight tolerances, which is our craftsmanship 10) We have tricks we do on cylinder heads that others have not even considered. 11) We are well ahead of the curve on many building techniques.

As example against the need for head studs, I notice FTB agrees. He and I don't always agree, but I respect his opinion. However, at 200hp, and that is not what I would call a 'small build; we usually include the ARP's.

PD 100 rods against ASV pistons would not be the choice for me, although it has been done. Beveled rod against a straight wrist pin... and the ASV's usually demand decking the block.

I will warn, it's usually not just the head warped lengthwise and a mutually warped set of cam journals, there are few machinists with the proper tooling to correct that. On an overheat, the block is warped the opposite way; in a valley. Correcting the block decking regularly creates a piston protrusion error.

To correct the misinformation (which I looked again and now do not see it), the stock exhaust valves in a TDI are not sodium filled. They are Iconel heads against Chrome-Moly stems. The durability of the OEM valves is what I would call legendary. Of the 1,000's of cylinder heads we have reconditioned, I would say the average head had at least 1/2 of the valves reinstalled. We consider our build's average life expectancy to be 250,000 more miles. So, continued use of an OEM valve is really not a problem. When we judge a valve good, it's good.

There are some poor quality aftermarket valves. We have felt the heat about naming particular brands that we consider sub-par, so we will not do that. But we know there are some 'white box' valves that are pure CRAP. Examples are exhaust valves that are solid inconel and completely non-magnetic... no chrome-moly stems means the stem prematurely wears... and then, the Chinese valves that break off at the keepers... we do not install junk or reuse bad parts.

And when we recondition valves, we dress the tulip of the valve so that it is very smooth and transitions well. We reuse VW valves as often as reasonably possible, as they are superior to many of the aftermarket valves. There are valves that the tulip is very rough and the design of the seat has a lip that is taller than the tulip. It's just one of the cheap, poorly-made aftermarket valves. The original valves are worth the consideration to keep in service. So, to settle reconditioning cost per valve, it's $5... and if we replace valves, they are not ones that break off at the keepers, or look like cheap junk.

Unfortunately, Taylor, if you read back on what happened in June 2013, we feel that not only you, but I fell into the trap, and I helped spring it. Because of your hard feelings, we refunded. I have many that refute your opinion. I only know I often have found engines melted and pistons cracked from over-fueling injectors. We have the names and the incidents to whom this event has occurred.

I'd port, install a Stage II cam, I think the BRM style piston is lighter and would be a better fit to a PD rod, and you should consider some of our cylinder/ piston reconditioning techniques. It's cheaper, less time and cutting-edge technology, applied.

We have built plenty of engines with your exact needs in mind, which by the way, stay together. You can keep your opinion of me, if that is what you feel is appropriate. But if you look logically, even in just this thread, there a number who believe in me, and I appreciate them saying so.

Besides the things I know here, we are breaking new ground on some great piston treatments that save a lot of work, save pistons and reduce down-time and expense. There are new methods we are using that can reduce the labor, help make existing pistons reusable, reduce overall time and cost for the rebuild. But you would have to change your mind about me.

Good luck with your build. I hope you have no troubles with this 'easy' engine. I am not your enemy, nor did I ever tell you anything but the truth.

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
Oh, yes, I remember you, Taylor. You believe I lied to you, maybe about 4 years ago. It would not be the first time the facts were manipulated from the same source. I could demonstrate the proofs, but it's not my call to advise people against any particular vendor, unless I can absolutely prove they are swindling people. For example, JBMorrison, who bilked people with his fake Brazilian Bosch knockoff nozzles. He is no longer there to steal from people, as I vetted him out.

I only know that we regularly fix the mistakes made by other shops. And the reason is, the TDI is an engine with very specific idiosyncrasies that we very well understand.

Here are a few reasons customers find our work to be superior. 1)We always torque-plate a cylinder head when honing. 2)We balance rotating assemblies. 3)We particularly re-balance flywheels, because we find the 'factory' job is not all that good. 4)The deck height job we do is very accurate and we find this is often done incorrectly. 5)Head studs are needed only if the issue is excessive boost and high horsepower requirements. 6) We use name-brand parts, from known quality vendors. 7) We use cutting-edge technologies for improved ring sealing and piston treatments. 8) I don't know how others get away with it, but honing a re-ring job is necessary, as without doing so, the cylinders are glazed and the rings take forever to break-in. 9) We work very tight tolerances, which is our craftsmanship 10) We have tricks we do on cylinder heads that others have not even considered. 11) We are well ahead of the curve on many building techniques.

As example against the need for head studs, I notice FTB agrees. He and I don't always agree, but I respect his opinion. However, at 200hp, and that is not what I would call a 'small build; we usually include the ARP's.

PD 100 rods against ASV pistons would not be the choice for me, although it has been done. Beveled rod against a straight wrist pin... and the ASV's usually demand decking the block.

I will warn, it's usually not just the head warped lengthwise and a mutually warped set of cam journals, there are few machinists with the proper tooling to correct that. On an overheat, the block is warped the opposite way; in a valley. Correcting the block decking regularly creates a piston protrusion error.

To correct the misinformation (which I looked again and now do not see it), the stock exhaust valves in a TDI are not sodium filled. They are Iconel heads against Chrome-Moly stems. The durability of the OEM valves is what I would call legendary. Of the 1,000's of cylinder heads we have reconditioned, I would say the average head had at least 1/2 of the valves reinstalled. We consider our build's average life expectancy to be 250,000 more miles. So, continued use of an OEM valve is really not a problem. When we judge a valve good, it's good.

There are some poor quality aftermarket valves. We have felt the heat about naming particular brands that we consider sub-par, so we will not do that. But we know there are some 'white box' valves that are pure CRAP. Examples are exhaust valves that are solid inconel and completely non-magnetic... no chrome-moly stems means the stem prematurely wears... and then, the Chinese valves that break off at the keepers... we do not install junk or reuse bad parts.

And when we recondition valves, we dress the tulip of the valve so that it is very smooth and transitions well. We reuse VW valves as often as reasonably possible, as they are superior to many of the aftermarket valves. There are valves that the tulip is very rough and the design of the seat has a lip that is taller than the tulip. It's just one of the cheap, poorly-made aftermarket valves. The original valves are worth the consideration to keep in service. So, to settle reconditioning cost per valve, it's $5... and if we replace valves, they are not ones that break off at the keepers, or look like cheap junk.

Unfortunately, Taylor, if you read back on what happened in June 2013, we feel that not only you, but I fell into the trap, and I helped spring it. Because of your hard feelings, we refunded. I have many that refute your opinion. I only know I often have found engines melted and pistons cracked from over-fueling injectors. We have the names and the incidents to whom this event has occurred.

I'd port, install a Stage II cam, I think the BRM style piston is lighter and would be a better fit to a PD rod, and you should consider some of our cylinder/ piston reconditioning techniques. It's cheaper, less time and cutting-edge technology, applied.

We have built plenty of engines with your exact needs in mind, which by the way, stay together. You can keep your opinion of me, if that is what you feel is appropriate. But if you look logically, even in just this thread, there a number who believe in me, and I appreciate them saying so.

Besides the things I know here, we are breaking new ground on some great piston treatments that save a lot of work, save pistons and reduce down-time and expense. There are new methods we are using that can reduce the labor, help make existing pistons reusable, reduce overall time and cost for the rebuild. But you would have to change your mind about me.

Good luck with your build. I hope you have no troubles with this 'easy' engine. I am not your enemy, nor did I ever tell you anything but the truth.
Frank, to be honest, i dont consider you an enemy, nor do I bad mouth you to people when your name comes up. Anytime your name comes up, i simply state "we don't do business", as I assume you do not want my business. I also do not dispute you are the man with these engines, otherwise you wouldn't have the reputation you do. I dont think I ever disputed that. I have had no issues with either the dlc1019's or the dlc764's I've installed on both twin alh's i have. The car in this thread had blowby to begin with when purchased, as did the other. Who knows, when i tear the head off, and if there is evidence of a poor spray pattern, or a cracked piston, etc. then maybe I'll buy a set of nozzles from you. The other car has about 2,000 more miles on it than this one, with the 1019's, and has not had issues. Both sets came from the same people. I totally agree with you about aftermarket, or Chinese crap. I am a firm believer when it comes to almost any car/truck part, that oem is best, unless an aftermarket name has been proven equal to, or better than oem. I learned that time and time again on Ford's diesels and aftermarket sensors/electronics, they flat out don't work or last. Head studs, once again, are cheap enough insurance that i wont be lifting the head, in the event i decide to go crazy with power, i understand they are not a necessity at this level.

In your expertise, would you recommend an asv, or brm piston for longevity? It seems lots go with the asv's. And if the asv is your choice, then what rods pair better with them?

I simply do not have the money to have ALL engine work done by someone else. Given the fact I am a diesel/heavy equipment mechanic by trade, and have experience inframing diesel engines, i have zero doubt that once machining is done (if needed, don't have it apart yet to measure/have a look at things), I will have this engine back to running perfectly.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Look, you put a disagreement with me, strongly worded, into print. I don't like that, especially when I know how this business gets twisted around and 'the competition' is often ruthless. Some times, it's subterfuge, which even in this thread, there is a bit of that at play; that maybe reworking valves is 'expensive'. The truth is, it's not so. What is more, we do not trust many aftermarket valves for a very good reason, they either break or are short-lived.

You think you know what happened years ago, but I know how the game is played. I use honesty as a tactic. Funny thing, it doesn't always work.

I can tell you two things about our business of cylinder heads, blocks and injectors, among other things:

People often recommend me based on their excellent experience.
I know some who, for personal reasons, have done things to undermine me.

It's just business, you could say. I've taken steps and countermeasures. 'FranksTDIsucks' is no more, because it couldn't afford to be '...a safe place to complain...', about me. Your injectors used to be posted there. But you do not see how that had been manipulated. You would have to ask; Who would think it necessary or even moral, to build a website specifically to undermine me, their competition? And the gutless people kept themselves anonymous and worked from a Panamanian website, trying to keep themselves remote and untouchable. Real upfront and honest, eh? It didn't work.

So, as it stands now, you think me as someone you wouldn't do business with, but would take my advice? That is a dichotomy. If I have the perfect parts, a great price, would you would buy elsewhere? I am in the business of VW parts and repair. Would you buy my recommended parts from someone else and ask me how to install their parts?

What is more, I have methods that are not generally known, that may allow you to do an in-frame repair of your engine with a piston modification. Should I tell you how, so you can get someone else to provide the service for you?

Why don't we settle this matter as gentlemen on the phone. Either email me a best time to speak with you or feel free to call at your leisure.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Stage 2 Colt Cam works great, haven't used Franks so I can't comment on the one he sells.

I can agree with Frank some aftermarket valves are junk, had a friend lose a motor when an FM valve failed after running for 10 mins, snapped right at the keeper.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
We sell about 400 intake and exhaust valves a year, usually TRW, some Intervalves. To the best of my knowledge, in the 11 years I've been doing this, no customers have reported a failure. None. One data point doesn't make a trend.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
We sell about 400 intake and exhaust valves a year, usually TRW, some Intervalves. To the best of my knowledge, in the 11 years I've been doing this, no customers have reported a failure. None. One data point doesn't make a trend.
What brand?

They had some more FM valves check for cracked and a few more showed up. FM wouldn't even cover the engine. :mad:

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
Look, you put a disagreement with me, strongly worded, into print. I don't like that, especially when I know how this business gets twisted around and 'the competition' is often ruthless. Some times, it's subterfuge, which even in this thread, there is a bit of that at play; that maybe reworking valves is 'expensive'. The truth is, it's not so. What is more, we do not trust many aftermarket valves for a very good reason, they either break or are short-lived.

You think you know what happened years ago, but I know how the game is played. I use honesty as a tactic. Funny thing, it doesn't always work.

I can tell you two things about our business of cylinder heads, blocks and injectors, among other things:

People often recommend me based on their excellent experience.
I know some who, for personal reasons, have done things to undermine me.

It's just business, you could say. I've taken steps and countermeasures. 'FranksTDIsucks' is no more, because it couldn't afford to be '...a safe place to complain...', about me. Your injectors used to be posted there. But you do not see how that had been manipulated. You would have to ask; Who would think it necessary or even moral, to build a website specifically to undermine me, their competition? And the gutless people kept themselves anonymous and worked from a Panamanian website, trying to keep themselves remote and untouchable. Real upfront and honest, eh? It didn't work.

So, as it stands now, you think me as someone you wouldn't do business with, but would take my advice? That is a dichotomy. If I have the perfect parts, a great price, would you would buy elsewhere? I am in the business of VW parts and repair. Would you buy my recommended parts from someone else and ask me how to install their parts?

What is more, I have methods that are not generally known, that may allow you to do an in-frame repair of your engine with a piston modification. Should I tell you how, so you can get someone else to provide the service for you?

Why don't we settle this matter as gentlemen on the phone. Either email me a best time to speak with you or feel free to call at your leisure.
10-4 I will call you sometime in the near future.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Parts counter people have common statements. "Never had that failure.", "Nobody ever complained.", "They all do that." "It comes with a warranty (another replacement CRAP part, same as the first)."

How about a reality check? The parts counter guys don't often care 1) to catalog complaints or share them around about what went wrong, 2) don't want to know about the failures, 3) Get tired of hearing people complain.

What good is a warrantied part, when that part caused massive damage to the engine? Would you really install another of the same part?

We are realistic and are very interested in tracking failure rates. I have sold somewhere around 100,000 INA lifters, marked accordingly, mostly for the ALH/ AHU, and PD engines. I can attest, they are the best. However, they are also copied...there are knock-offs, and some marked 'INA' only, no additional version brand, meant for a 1.6. 800,000 of those South African overstocks Part # 034 109 309 AD, were dumped on the aftermarket around 2007-8. The 1.6 cam followers were never intended as TDI lifters and they fail, usually in about 50,000 miles. Just because they fit the hole and look the same, does not mean they are the right ones. From the 1986 1.6 IDI's to the 2006 PD engines, there are 4 different versions of the same dimension cam follower. You can retro back, but not forward. The correct versions should be stamped in the bottom of the lifter. Correct INA lifter for the AHU/ ALH should read F-461616-72. PD cam followers: F-46516-83, although some earlier factory versions were -73.

Even with the best of the best, we have had a total of about 20 INA lifters that were bad. Now, if you are talking percentages, it is extremely good, but it is not and never was 0%. So, when the claim comes up, "We never...to our knowledge...", whatever...there is either a lack of interest or concern for the true percentage of failure. Reality demands a failure rate, as that is the human element. 5 of the reject INA cam followers we found were missing internal springs. I can imagine the guy who was supposed to load the spring hopper and didn't do his job.

We use TRW, Osvat, KS on occasion, and have used in particular situations an Italian Solex brand valves. We have made some Farrea valves, but did not think the cost or benefit was there.

We have had failures with our popular and effective PD camshaft kits. It is very low. To date, 6 failures out of 2000 kits; .03%) and 4 of the failures are 'operator error', oil or coolant loss, but to know the reality of failure rate is important, as to correct issues and errors, protocols, etc is very important as a business model and for customer satisfaction. Even more important, in my opinion, is not to 'throw money and parts' at a problem.

Diagnosis and knowing your product well saves the customer in time, cost and failure rate. I know that in the past, there were customers who replaced an extremely poor cast PD cam that we have seen break into three pieces in shipping. Kolbenschmidt had a Chinese BEW steel cam four years ago. When our supplier switched to that cam, we had them hardness tested. Although we generally trust KS, this cam's box was marked "Made In China"... 44 Rc on the lobes; 22 Rc on the journals...very soft. We blew the whistle and all those cams went back to the mfg. We warned our suppliers and our vendor buddies of the bad parts.

Kolbenschmidt no longer sells the Chinese cams. If you ever got one, I'd be looking to get my money back or a free exchange part. I don't think this is generally known, but we pay attention to parts quality, closely.

Mechanic humor: The claim from one seller of cams was, "... we have never had a failure for that upgrade cam." That's what was told to someone who is now our customer. That very day, we had two of those 'never fail' cams; our new customer's and one other, in the shop due to lobe/lifter failure inside of 1 year. Imagine that... The joke is on the customer.

The lower the quality, the cheaper the part, the greater the likelihood you will soon be disappointed. I've seen enough of those who 'maximize their profit margin' while offering a poor quality part. Who remembers after two years, which part and where it came from? We are not in the 'race to the bottom'.

I don't expect ANY cam to be 'lifetime', including ours, although we have had dramatic improvements in performance and life expectancy, cams are consumables, which means they do wear and will wear out. We just project reality in our products.

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
Took the head off the old engine this weekend. Found #2 exhaust valve guide broken, and the seal was literally missing. I could see in the port once the turbo was off that the guide was broken. That explains part of my oil consumption. Cylinder walls LOOK okay. Need to measure everything still. Also gonna pop the pistons out, because im fairly certain I have some ring issues as well.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Took the head off the old engine this weekend. Found #2 exhaust valve guide broken, and the seal was literally missing. I could see in the port once the turbo was off that the guide was broken. That explains part of my oil consumption. Cylinder walls LOOK okay. Need to measure everything still. Also gonna pop the pistons out, because im fairly certain I have some ring issues as well.
Might as well, sounds like a good plan. :cool: