Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
I strongly suspect you will get a reasonable facsimile of a fix for your car, me not so much. I'm pretty sure when the fix deadline comes and goes I will be out of options; however the depreciation might not look so bad at that point.

You don't get the "compensation" until the car is actually "fixed".

haunruh

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 GOLF TDI/DSG Wagon
I just went through the calculations for my 2011 GSW TDI w/DSG, 74,000 km, and the US buyback value seems to come out to around $21,600. If VW Canada follows the US, this would be ok with me.

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat Comfortline TDI, DSG
I think with the calculations I went through, it came out to $27,647 for my Passat w/ 88,000km on it.

Still a bit worried about the language being used by VW Canada right now: they've somewhat changed their message since April (from "we will do in Canada what we do in the U.S." to "we hope for something similar").

joey003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
I think with the calculations I went through, it came out to $27,647 for my Passat w/ 88,000km on it.

Still a bit worried about the language being used by VW Canada right now: they've somewhat changed their message since April (from "we will do in Canada what we do in the U.S." to "we hope for something similar").
Same here. Now we have another 4 weeks to wait.

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
Same here. Now we have another 4 weeks to wait.
At which point we find out that we get a free toque, can of beer, and a token gift card :).

In all honesty, I feel like VW is waiting to see how things turn out south of the border before they offer us anything. Makes sense in a way: if they offer Canadians a better deal, then everyone in the U.S. will cry foul. If they offer Canadians a sub-standard deal, and then renegotiate in the U.S. based on consumer feedback with a better deal, then we will be upset.

Best reason I can justify this point with is the data on https://www.vwemissionsinfo.ca/news/tdi-update-u-s-court-filings-regarding-u-s-2-0l-tdi-vehicles/: if they were not going to wait on the U.S. decision, then why would they even be mentioning it to Canadian customers?

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual

Are you sure?
I have a 2012 with Fender and 105,000 kms...using that calculator I got $26,300 CDN.
Did you (or anyone else) convert your kms into miles and then after getting the amount convert into CDN $ after?

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
Are you sure?
I have a 2012 with Fender and 105,000 kms...using that calculator I got $26,300 CDN.
Did you (or anyone else) convert your kms into miles and then after getting the amount convert into CDN $ after?
Oho! I did convert to miles, but the resulting amount was not converted back into CDN$. Thanks for the tip!

But, and this is a decently-sized "but", when we were issued the VW owner loyalty cards, it was not converted from US $ to CDN $: everyone got the same $1,000 regardless of where they were. In my current state of mistrust of VW, and believe me when I say I have plenty of mistrust for them, I somehow think they might try the same trick with a settlement up here (if we see one at all).

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
Oho! I did convert to miles, but the resulting amount was not converted back into CDN$. Thanks for the tip!

But, and this is a decently-sized "but", when we were issued the VW owner loyalty cards, it was not converted from US $ to CDN $: everyone got the same $1,000 regardless of where they were. In my current state of mistrust of VW, and believe me when I say I have plenty of mistrust for them, I somehow think they might try the same trick with a settlement up here (if we see one at all).
True...but I really doubt they would give us Canadians, US trade-in/retail/bluebook/whatever values. We paid in CDN...we should get paid in CDN as well.
But if not...ya'll see me on the news.

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
True...but I really doubt they would give us Canadians, US trade-in/retail/bluebook/whatever values. We paid in CDN...we should get paid in CDN as well.
But if not...ya'll see me on the news.
Absolutely agree with you: we need to see the same level of compensation and it should be in CDN.

Let's wait until July 29th and then get the pitchforks ready. If the car only needs to be driveable, I'll take the front bumper off and mount it on a stake (Lord of the Flies style): won't accomplish much, but it will make me feel better.

I guess I'm really, really ticked at VW not so much because they pulled this ridiculous stunt in the first place, but because they have been so lackluster in their response. Even more than that, I'm ticked because they sold a car in Canada that should not have been sold in the first place, and a car that I absolutely love driving...makes the thought of giving it up and having it potentially be crushed more upsetting...less upsetting than the thought of having it "fixed" and subsequently neutered in one way or another though.

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
I'm reluctant to say anything at this point (sheepishly cowed) but I expect Cdn values for the "trade in" figure will be somewhat elevated given that we typically pay more for vehicles.

redfaced Greg

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
Interesting point I was thinking about the other day too that would hopefully support us getting a decent settlement here: if you look at the percentage of sales of TDIs in comparison to overall population, we are nearly twice that of the U.S. (numbers from Google, with population as of 2014, and number of 2.0 TDIs sold rounded up).

U.S. (num 2.0 TDIs/population): 500,000/318,900,000 = 0.16%
Canada (num 2.0 TDIs/population): 100,000/35,160,000 = 0.28%

Note to any VW employees looking at these posts (we all know you are :)): you get more attention per capita in Canada. Smarten up and treat us properly, or that will change.

joey003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
At which point we find out that we get a free toque, can of beer, and a token gift card :).

In all honesty, I feel like VW is waiting to see how things turn out south of the border before they offer us anything. Makes sense in a way: if they offer Canadians a better deal, then everyone in the U.S. will cry foul. If they offer Canadians a sub-standard deal, and then renegotiate in the U.S. based on consumer feedback with a better deal, then we will be upset.

Best reason I can justify this point with is the data on https://www.vwemissionsinfo.ca/news/tdi-update-u-s-court-filings-regarding-u-s-2-0l-tdi-vehicles/: if they were not going to wait on the U.S. decision, then why would they even be mentioning it to Canadian customers?
Lol. Good points. At least they are acknowledging it and it does seem like something will happen here.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Item Buyback Amount Modification Amount
2010 Jetta SportWagen 4D TDI $15,497.00 $5,072.00
Option: No Automatic Trans -$750.00 -$125.00
Option: Power Sunroof $540.00 $90.00
Miles: 85001 - 90000
Odometer miles: 100000
Calculation month: October 2016
Mileage Adjustment: -13546
Effective miles: 86454 -$630.00 -$105.00
Further Adjustment $168.00 $168.00
(Total) $14,825.00 $5,100.00
If it's even close to that after 6yrs of ownership I'll be more than please and use it towards a new 2017 GSW!

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
Item Buyback Amount Modification Amount
2010 Jetta SportWagen 4D TDI $15,497.00 $5,072.00
Option: No Automatic Trans -$750.00 -$125.00
Option: Power Sunroof $540.00 $90.00
Miles: 85001 - 90000
Odometer miles: 100000
Calculation month: October 2016
Mileage Adjustment: -13546
Effective miles: 86454 -$630.00 -$105.00
Further Adjustment $168.00 $168.00
(Total) $14,825.00 $5,100.00
If it's even close to that after 6yrs of ownership I'll be more than please and use it towards a new 2017 GSW!
Would you be good with a TSI? Any worries about leaving the TDI lifestyle behind?

japedo

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI CL 6MT
I really can't speculate what vw will do up here for us. It's hard to say! But I dare say something similar to US deal.
As per their proposed deal, my 2013 would be a 22k buy back. And 22k was my cost of purchase in fall of 2013 financed at 0% / 28k out the door with tax and stuff.
But I will keep it and let them try to develope and impliment a fix.
If they don't figure it out... I would be stupid not to take a 22k buyback in fall of 2018.
Would be a cheap 5 years of ownership, and doubtfull... But maybe another tdi would exist to purchase.

A lot of "ifs" and "unknown" but that's how owning this lovely little cAr has been since day 1 eh!!!

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/volkswagen-lawsuit-deal-1.3655371

Here's a little artical.

VW leaving us in the dark still and not even mentioning "BUY BACK" ....
My fear is that they will only settle in Canada in so far as to keep the Emissions regulation violation under control. That would entail the "fix" if and when it becomes available. Since we do not have an equivalent to the FTC case up here, or the DOJ case, they may not feel compelled to hand out additional compensation. Looks like the judges up here are still sorting out which court case(s) will take precedence in an eventual class action so it doesn't look like we're even close to a settlement.

https://www.volkswagenclassaction.com/

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Would you be good with a TSI? Any worries about leaving the TDI lifestyle behind?
I think so... Maybe... I don't know? We still have the MKIV running strong @ 306k km and always on the look out for a 2006 TDI Wagon.

ElectricMayhem

Veteran Member
TDI
None!
My fear is that they will only settle in Canada in so far as to keep the Emissions regulation violation under control. That would entail the "fix" if and when it becomes available.
If you read the documents that were filed in the States last week, it is fairly clear that VW has no viable/economic solution for the 2.0 non-SCR engines. I think VW will have no choice but to buy them back, put them in containers, and ship them to China for resale.

They can't force you to sell your car to them, so they will have to make it worth your while.

The wrinkle is that, for those of us in Ontario, I could see the provincial government refusing to renew registration stickers. In that case, we will have to take whatever VW is offering. But that move would almost guarantee that Magna would be shut out of supplying parts to VW, which would involve Ontario job losses.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
They can't force you to sell your car to them, so they will have to make it worth your while.

The wrinkle is that, for those of us in Ontario, I could see the provincial government refusing to renew registration stickers. In that case, we will have to take whatever VW is offering. But that move would almost guarantee that Magna would be shut out of supplying parts to VW, which would involve Ontario job losses.

Sell (if you want) the TDI's into the OTHER Provinces. AB is Diesel Country and BC too.

aneblanc

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf, '10 Golf Wagon (sold back)
Is there any point of going for paint repairs under warranty on Monday July 4th and have the vehicle immobilized for 4-5 days if VW is going to buy it back?

And is there a chance that VW buys it back before the end of the year?

What are your opinions?

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
In April a VW Canada spokesperson said the Canadian dieselgate solution would "mirror" the US variety. So paint condition probably won't matter much if this is the case. If I was in your shoes, I'd have the work done because it may be possible to hang on to the vehicle for a couple of years before turning it in.

Until the end of July we just don't know the answer to either of your questions.

Ozy81

TDI
2012 Audi A3 2.0 TDI
I think Canadians will get the middle finger on this...Audi gave me just a 500$ dealer card and 3 free oil services..maybe they fill like if you have an Audi you are rich and you don't need their f..ing money.
After i did the buyback calc. of my car following the usa data i am not really happy.I paid for my CPO 2012 Audi A3 31000 $( tax in/ almost 3000$ i think) and the buyback i get is 26627 $.(24000 $ left in payments) so i will end up maybe with a 2627$ in my pocket if i am lucky, its not even what i paid for 1 year of owning this car.:eek::eek:
Nobody is talking about the taxes we paid,the options like CPO certification, Audi care ...who is paying for that...:confused::confused:
At this point i lost any hope i will just keep driving my car , i cant just park it on my driveway and wait...is taking too long to fix this crap..
At least i really love my car and it make's me feel good every time i drive it