Tire wear on Q5's, what are owners seeing?

Jmwillhite

TDI
2004 Golf
I have a 2013 Q7. Have Michelin Latitudes. Service guys have been telling me since I had 20K on them that I needed new tires, have 23K now. Any advice on tires that will last a little longer? I have heard ContiProContact. Also heard that I need a harder tire. I have cuts on mine either from gravel driveway or chip N seal road. Not sure.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
I have about 30K miles on my OEM Goodyears. My Q5 came with 20 inch wheels. I have 17 inch snows for the winters. I have around 30K miles on it (minus the distance travelled on the snow tires). I doubt I'll get more than 1 more Spring, Summer, Fall period on them. I have a set of Conti DSW06 waiting that I bought with the $1000 VW/Audi compensation credit cards.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
I like Pirelli Scorpion Verde Pluses and have run them on my Touareg and Q5. They are a hard tire, run smooth and wear well. On the minus side, some say they have a tendency to cup. I haven’t seen this. But tires are somewhat subjective. I hated the Goodyears on my Touareg, by the ones on my Q5 run fine.

bmwr1200gs

TDI
2010 Sportwagon, 2014 Audi Q5 3.0 TDI
Goodyear Eagle LS

The OEM Goodyear Eagle LS tires on my 2014 Q5 Premier Plus 3.0L TDI lasted a little over 50,000 miles. Quiet. Good in snow. No issues.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
How much demand (hard driving) are you doing.

Wife and I are geezer drivers, & we are getting approx 45,000 - 55,000 on all our cars tires over the last 20 years.

But I did loose 2 tires to sidewall damage many years ago:mad::mad:

Her 2015 RAV4 LIMITED (Bridgestone) and my 2015 Golf (Continental) will both be (approx) gone at 52,000-ish.

... plan on selling her Toyota before the tires drop below 6 thirty seconds.

... ROTATE ~~ ROTATE ~~ ROTATE

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 4dr Golf TDI 6-speed manual
How much demand (hard driving) are you doing.
Wife and I are geezer drivers, & we are getting approx 45,000 - 55,000 on all our cars tires over the last 20 years.
But I did loose 2 tires to sidewall damage many years ago:mad::mad:
Her 2015 RAV4 LIMITED (Bridgestone) and my 2015 Golf (Continental) will both be (approx) gone at 52,000-ish.
... plan on selling her Toyota before the tires drop below 6 thirty seconds.
... ROTATE ~~ ROTATE ~~ ROTATE

Do you have a Q5?

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Do you have a Q5?
No:)

My post fully discloses we drive the 2015 Toyota RAV4 (LIMITED) and a lowly 2015 VW TDi Golf (S) DSG.

... and we are having better results with our tire life

... best I ever did was on Michelin. Had 61,000-ish and sold the car, with 4/32 on front, and 5/32 on rear.

ROTATE ~~ ROTATE ~~ ROTATE

Hope you find a solution for your pitifully horrible tire life.

DrobKGB

TDI
2012 Q7 TDI
2012 Q7 TDi

Continental DWS 06. Last 2 sets replaced around 55K miles.
Rotate religiously every 3k miles.
Door plate air spec.

mbcracken

TDI
Audi Q5
We are nearing the end of our summer tires and will be looking for some this winter. Live in Seattle area and do mostly highway miles. Open to suggestions for our 2015 Q5.

Cheers,
Mike

ksa63

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 "Technik" TDI
We are using Yokohama Avid Envigor on our 14 Q5 tdi. They are working out great for us. A very nice tire.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
We are nearing the end of our summer tires and will be looking for some this winter. Live in Seattle area and do mostly highway miles. Open to suggestions for our 2015 Q5.

Cheers,
Mike

Probably the best rated summer tire is the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. If you are looking at all seasons, the verdict is split. I run Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S Plus as a winter tire, since winters in Tennessee get too cold to continue using the summer tires (yet little snowfall). This gives me some flexibility as to when I switch between sets.

mbcracken

TDI
Audi Q5
Probably the best rated summer tire is the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. If you are looking at all seasons, the verdict is split. I run Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S Plus as a winter tire, since winters in Tennessee get too cold to continue using the summer tires (yet little snowfall). This gives me some flexibility as to when I switch between sets.
We run the Nokian WRG3 All Weather as our winter. More then enough traction for our weekend ski trips. But our lowlands gets snow and/or cold on the occasional rare day. For summer...we are looking for a tire that is able to do long highway miles. Thanks for the suggestions thus far...

Cheers,
Mike