www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old May 5th, 2011, 22:02   #46
TurboKid

Default 2011 JSW failure under 2k miles and first month

Year: 2011
Build Date: unknown, at dealer currently
Make/Model: VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Tranny: DSG, 6M: 6M
Mileage: (actual miles at time of problem or when problem began) 1,733
Diesel Fuel Source: (Shell, Exxon, etc.) Kum & Go and King Soopers
Additives: (Yes/No) NO
Problem: (HPFP failed, fuel canister rusted, etc. Give as much factual data as you can.) Stalled out at 70mph flat highway, wouldn't start for 45min. Dealer said metal shavings, will need entire new fuel system. Said no water or gas in tank. Told me it was a bad pump from VW and promised I will not have the issue again.
Dealer: (ex. SmokeAndMirrors VW or VW of Fallacy Idaho) Ehrlich Volkswagen/Nissan in Greeley, CO
Status: (still pending, dealer fixed everything, resolved, dealer refused, paid out of pocket): still pending, dealer said all will be covered under warranty, just waiting for repair to be finished. also repairing moon roof getting stuck for 4th time.

Car was purchased with 6 miles on it on April 5th, 2011. Car had this issue on May 1st, 2011. Moon roof panoramic has also gotten stuck open for 4th time, replacing it while fixing this HPFP issue. Dealer told me nobody else on the west coast has even had this problem, just east coast where they have poor fuel... I don't buy that one bit. Found 3 other Colorado people that have had this issue.
TurboKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2011, 06:02   #47
NC Chicklady

Year: 2009
Build Date:
01/09

Make/Model: Jetta Sportswagen
Tranny: DSG, 6M DSG
Mileage: (actual miles at time of problem or when problem began) 39269
Diesel Fuel Source: (Shell, Exxon, etc.)Varied. Just fueled @ Gulf before died
Additives: (Yes/No) NO
Problem: (HPFP failed, fuel canister rusted, etc. Give as much factual data as you can.) Direct Quote from Service Order - "Performed GFF Found DTCP0087, HPFP Internal Wear. Replaced Fuel System Per TAC Case.
Dealer: (ex. SmokeAndMirrors VW or VW of Fallacy Idaho) Hilton Head VW, Hardeeville, SC
Status: (still pending, dealer fixed everything, resolved, dealer refused, paid out of pocket) Car repaired - VOA paid entire bill
NC Chicklady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 19:26   #48
upsbroke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: NB-52 hwy
Default Another one bites the dust!

YEAR-2009
BUILD DATE-unknown-still at dealer
MAKE/MODEL- Jetta Sportwagen tdi
TRANSMISSION-DSG
MILEAGE- est. 38000
FUEL SOURCE- 3 fills that day but last was KUM & GO McAlester, Okla.
ADDITIVE-no
PROBLEM- 30k service three weeks before. ECM had been remapped about two weeks earlier and a check engine light appeared and stayed on. Glow plug light occasionally showed when engine started but would go away when I shut down and reset. Installer deleted the remap but CEL and glowplug issue remained. Car ran fine without issue with the CEL on but power was lessened when the glowplug light stayed on.
I was on a start of a month long vacation when the issues started and drove the car without problem until five days ago driving through Oklahoma. I was driving at highway speed when the glowplug light came on again. I pulled to the side of the road so I could shut down and reset so the glowplug light would go away. As I pulled over-I could tell I had lost all power. After that it would not start again.
DEALER/STATUS The car was towed to Tulsa VW where we just managed to get it in before closing Sat. for Memorial Day weekend (until Tuesday). Tuesday afternoon- I was informed today by Doug-the service writer-that the HPFP had self-destructed and that VW had been informed and the repair would be no charge. They said the fuel tank and (I believe) fuel lines would be flushed and the rest replaced.
upsbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 20:21   #49
Plus 3 Golfer
Veteran Member

Build Date:
08/08

Make/Model: Jetta Sedan
Mileage: (actual miles at time of problem or when problem began) 44,300
Diesel Fuel Source: (Shell, Exxon, etc.)Varied.
Additives: (Yes/No) PS-DK from 1st fill, B2 since about 22k miles
Problem: (HPFP failed, fuel canister rusted, etc. Give as much factual data as you can.) Cranked, but no start. No debris in fuel system. Fuel tested good. No DTCs. HPFP had 48 bars at crank but should be about 260 bars. HPFP and pressure retention valve replaced.
At 26k miles had aluminum metal specks in FF canister. Dealer replaced FF and checked at 30k service. Specks diminished significantly and were virtually gone when I changed FF at 40k miles.

Dealer:San Tan VW, Gilbert, AZ
Status: (still pending, dealer fixed everything, resolved, dealer refused, paid out of pocket) Car repaired - VOA paid entire bill[/QUOTE]
Plus 3 Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 11:28   #50
SFOPilot

Fuel Economy: 28 city 48-52 hwy
Default 2011 Golf TDI HPFP Failure

Year: 2011
Build Date: Not Sure Where To Find This
Make/Model: Golf TDI 4Door
Tranny: DSG, 6M DSG Transmission
Mileage: 2811
Diesel Fuel Source: Shell
Additives: No
Problem: Was just told that HPFP failed, Gas Tank, Pump, Injectors to be replaced.
Dealer: Royal Motors San Francisco
Status: Still Pending, told it may be up to 3 weeks for parts. Told VW will pay $25 per day for rental. Have to pay the rental charge (flat fee of $30 per day) and then submit claim to VW for reimbursement.

This problem occurred while driving to work in San Francisco. The engine quit while driving at about 30 mph, in the middle of the street and could not be restarted. Had to be lift-towed to dealer. Service manager's first question was; "Did you put regular gas in tank or lend the car to someone who may have?" I answered "NO". He asked if I had a receipt and I said that I never get receipts.

Later that day he called to say HPFP had to be replaced and probably injectors. 2 Days later he called to say the fuel tank would also have to be replaced. Now I had gone back to the service shop 3 times since this happened on June 21. How he knows all this without taking apart the car is beyond me. The car has been sitting in the exact same spot outside of the garage for the last 4 days, untouched. I have been there 3 of the last 4 days!

The afternoon of the 21st I went back to the service shop to draw fuel from the tank because I knew, after the service manager's questions, that VW would try to screw me. The manager said everyone was on lunch break so I should give him the gas can and come back later. I said no way! I explained the following to him:

I had a 2010 Golf TDI and brought it to this particular service shop for a door that was misaligned 2 months after purchasing it. 2 days later I picked up the car. 2 weeks later when having the car washed the manager of the car wash showed me the car had been repainted AT THE DOOR WHERE THE WORK WAS DONE! Royal motors said they did not paint the car, the dealer where I purchased the car said they had not done so before I purchased the car and no damage had occurred at the dock on arrival. VW Customer Service actually told me that maybe the car had been over-sprayed AT THE SUPERMARKET! Needless to say, they never agreed to any liability.

Royal Motors is the closest service shop to where my 2011 Golf quit running so it had to be towed there.

I called Shell Oil to see about getting the receipt for the fuel I put in 3 days before the car quit and was told to go back to the Shell station because they should still have it in their computer system. The receipt clearly shows I used Diesel fuel. I am not going to provide this receipt to the service shop as requested because I want to see if they are going to treat me fairly or try to screw me. At that point I will produce the receipt.

I will keep everyone updated on my NEW 2011 GOLF TDI HPFP failure.

Just filed NHTSA Safety Complaint, 25 June 2011.

Last edited by SFOPilot; June 25th, 2011 at 11:54. Reason: Additional Information
SFOPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 11:58   #51
chummer
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Ave. 36
Default 2010 a3 tdi 28,040k

Year:2010
Build Date: ??? currently at the dealer

Make/Model: Audi A3 TDI
Tranny: DSG, 6M
Mileage: 28,040
Diesel Fuel Source: 76, occasionally chevron
Additives: NO

Problem: Going on to the on ramp of the 110 N in Los Angeles, at about 25-30mph the engine coil light came on and started to flash, almost imediately the car stalled. Tried to crank it a few times but it will not start, got it towed to Audi of Downtown LA. (11pm). Next day, their mechanic checked the car and said it was bad diesel fuel that cause the problem, they also found metal shavings. They sent the filter and fuel to Audi for testing. Everything was covered under my warranty, so from the tank to the injectors and anything that's in between will all be new. Car is still in the shop until next week so we'll find out how it goes. Rental and loaners was taken care of by Audi, haven't spent a dime on that.

My question is, with all the metal shavings that was in the fuel, will it affect the cyclinders?

I'm definitely getting the extended warranty of this car.

Dealer: Audi of Downtown Los Angeles

Status: As of 29June2011, the car is sitting at the dealer awaiting parts.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:24   #52
rte2MA
Veteran Member

Default Double HPFP Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by rte2MA View Post
Year: 2010
Build date: 03/10
Make/Model: Golf TDI 2-door
Tranny: 6M
Mileage: 17500
Diesel Fuel Source: Mobil in MA
Additives: None
Problem: First failure in Dec 2010 on a highway going uphill. Car gradually lost power and stopped - felt like it ran out of fuel. Towed it back to the dealer. The dealership could not reproduce the problem and said maybe it was a frozen fuel line (temps were below 10 degrees). I drove it without any problems for another 6 weeks and then the exact same thing happened at 18800 miles. Towed it back to the dealer. This time they gave me a loaner and held onto my car. They were eventually able to reproduce the problem after letting the engine run a few hours and they determined that the fuel
pump was at fault. They replaced the fuel pump under warranty. Bad fuel not suspected - excellent service.
Dealer: Noyes VW, Keene NH
Status: At 23500 miles the glow plug light came on along with a brief loss of power going up another hill. But this time the car seemed to recover. Took it into the dealer and they decided to replace fuel pump relays which had to be ordered. I drove the car for another 700 miles without any problems before taking it back for the new relays. However, the check engine light did go on
the day before I took it in. They cleared the code, acknowledged that some cars were having fuel pump issues, and told me to get in touch right away if anything else went wrong.
UPDATE: After continued limp mode episodes (first the fuel pump relays were replaced, then the injectors were replaced) I had three separate limp mode episodes within 30 minutes on a twisty highway with blind curves and no shoulder to pull off onto. That was on June 5. And that's when I started talking to the sales dept. about making this right. With 5 service visits on record for the same problem, we were clearly in lemon law territory. The dealership treated me well and within 3 weeks I was driving a new 2011 Golf TDI. Noyes VW went out of their way to give me a happy ending and I can't say enough about their sales and service. I highly recommend them.

In the meantime their service department went ahead with a second HPFP replacement on my 2010 Golf but the service manager told me they were still seeing limp mode after extensive road testing and they thought something more than the HPFP might be involved.
rte2MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 06:55   #53
y0bailey
Veteran Member

Build Date: ? (bought it in late Dec 2009)
Make/Model: Jetta Sportwagen
Tranny: DSG
Mileage: ~ 45k
Diesel Fuel Source: Mobile mostly, some BP
Problem: Pending diagnosis...first day of my vacay, on a 500 mile trip to Florida. 115 miles into the trip lost power while at 70mph on cruise control. Luckily I could safely get off the road. Glow plug flashing, display some sort of engine fault or failure. Wouldn't crank up after. Instantly knew this was HPFP failure. Car towed back to NC. Here is the kicker....first thing the dealer says over the phone "did you just recently get gas?" Already trying to place the blame on me. Luckily it is very clear that I had over 200 miles run on this fuel with no recent fill-up.
Dealer: It is at Leith VW in Cary NC.
Status: Waiting on a phone call. Will update with more info. Have no contacted VOA or the Highway folks yet due to not having confirmation of diagnosis.

Alright VW. Time to step up to the plate. This is my first VW and I have been in love until now. If you handle this right, I may buy another. If you handle this wrong, I will spend all of my power preventing people from buy a VW. Your call.
y0bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 12:02   #54
JCTDI
Veteran Member

Default 2009 JSW HPFP replaced

Build Date: will check
Make/Model: JSW
Tranny: DSG, 6M: 6M
Mileage: (actual miles at time of problem or when problem began): 24,000 approx.
Diesel Fuel Source: (Shell, Exxon, etc.): BP

Additives: (Yes/No): No

Problem: (HPFP failed, fuel canister rusted, etc. Give as much factual data as you can.) HPFP started making a noise, or the engine? Low humming. It was getting louder with time so I mentioned it to the dealer when I brought the car in for the factory recall update to the onboard computer.

Dealer: (ex. SmokeAndMirrors VW or VW of Fallacy Idaho): Douglas VW in Summit, NJ

Status: (still pending, dealer fixed everything, resolved, dealer refused, paid out of pocket): Dealer replaced the fuel pump after running some tests that VW asked for. VW paid for repair. The fuel line was left intact but they have assured me (I asked a few times) that no metal was found in filter.
Old July 27th, 2011, 06:04   #55
y0bailey
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0bailey View Post
Build Date: ? (bought it in late Dec 2009)
Make/Model: Jetta Sportwagen
Mileage: ~ 45k
Diesel Fuel Source: Mobile mostly, some BP
Problem: Pending diagnosis...first day of my vacay, on a 500 mile trip to Florida. 115 miles into the trip lost power while at 70mph on cruise control. Luckily I could safely get off the road. Glow plug flashing, display some sort of engine fault or failure. Wouldn't crank up after. Instantly knew this was HPFP failure. Car towed back to NC. Here is the kicker....first thing the dealer says over the phone "did you just recently get gas?" Already trying to place the blame on me. Luckily it is very clear that I had over 200 miles run on this fuel with no recent fill-up.
Dealer: It is at Leith VW in Cary NC.
Status: Waiting on a phone call. Will update with more info. Have no contacted VOA or the Highway folks yet due to not having confirmation of diagnosis.

Alright VW. Time to step up to the plate. This is my first VW and I have been in love until now. If you handle this right, I may buy another. If you handle this wrong, I will spend all of my power preventing people from buy a VW. Your call.

UPDATE: VW is paying the bill. Dealer quoted $8k. They gave me almost ZERO trouble. Only complaint is that a few parts are on national backorder and it may be 10 days before the parts are even in. No big deal, I can ride my bike for a few days...especially to save $8000.

Thank you VW. Service manager said they are installing a new pump design. I started looking at new cars this week since I was for sure just going to sell it after they fixed it, but damn nothing can compete with the TDI. There simply are no cars that are wagons with runner bars on the roof and get decent gas mileage.
y0bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 11:20   #56
jdeweyl

TDI(s): 2010 Jetta
Default HPFP Failure

Year:2010
Build Date: Oct 1, 2009
Make/Model: Jetta TDI
Tranny: 6 Speed Auto Tiptronic
Mileage: 33,500
Diesel Fuel Source: Thorntons & Speedway
Additives: Never
Problem: HPFP failed resulting in metal shavings throughout the fuel system. The glow plug light started flashing while I was driving and the car lost most acceleration. It drove for a couple of miles before the engine light came on. A few minutes later the engine died and would not restart. I was alone without a cell phone sitting in a left turn lane. Fortunately, there was little traffic and I was able to get the car rolling down hill and into an Amoco station. However, to get there I had to cross two lanes of traffic and merge into a third while coasting.
Dealer: Pugi Volkswagen, Downers Grove, IL
Status: Dealer said the HPFP disintegrated and the entire fuel system needs to be replaced. He said everything is covered under warranty. Parts need to be ordered and original HPFP needs to be sent to VOA. It can't be disassembled by the dealer. I reported to NHTSA Monday and was contacted by them on Tuesday. They sent an email requesting the following info:
1. What is the name and address/city of the dealer your vehicle is currently at awaiting repairs?
2. Do you know the status of repairs (i.e. maybe they’ve ordered parts and waiting for them to arrive?)
3. Do you know if a diesel fuel sample was taken from your vehicle’s fuel tank? Was it ok?
4. What service station(s) do you fill up at for diesel fuel and what is the address of the service station(s)?
5. Prior to the incident date, when was the last date that you filled up with diesel fuel?
6. Do you keep fueling receipts?
7. Is this the first diesel vehicle you have ever owned?
8. Was this the first time your vehicle has stalled (engine died) on you?
They also asked if I would allow a fuel sample to be tested. They said I would be informed of the test results when available.
I also called VOA to report the incident.

8/6/11-I stopped at the dealer today to get some things from my car. The service manager said the NHTSA stopped in and pulled fuel sample. He said the problems with the HPFP are believed to be caused by additives used in the US and Canada.
8/12/11-I picked up my Jetta today. Dealer was good to work with. I had a loaner while my car was being repaired. From what I can make out on the invoice, nothing was repaired, everything from the HPFP to the fuel tank was replaced. My fingers are crossed since my warranty has only 2500 miles remaining.

Last edited by jdeweyl; August 12th, 2011 at 12:36.
jdeweyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2011, 22:19   #57
danix
Veteran Member

Year: 2010
Build Date: 02/2010
Make/Model: Jetta TDI
Mileage: 27,800
Diesel Fuel Source: Shell
Additives: Never
Modifications: None
Problem: The glow plug light started flashing while I was driving and the car lost power. Pulled into nearby shopping center, called VW Assistance and they dispatched a tow. Car arrived at the dealer the next day, they called and confirmed HPFP issue.

Dealer: Dirito VW, Walnut Creek CA
Status: 8/6/11: Dealer called today and confirmed HPFP issue. I should get more details and a rental on Monday.
Note: just bought this car 4 days ago. Original owner had never heard of HPFP issue. Before selling it to me, the owner filled up at the same Shell station he's always used. I was only 3/4 through the tank so never refilled.

Last edited by danix; August 7th, 2011 at 16:56.
danix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 09:55   #58
PlanoWagen

Default HPFP took a dive in Aggieland

Build Date: March 2009
Make/Model: JSW
Mileage: (actual miles at time of problem or when problem began) 41070
Diesel Fuel Source: (Shell, Exxon, etc.) Exxon
Additives: (Yes/No) No
Problem: (HPFP failed, fuel canister rusted, etc. Give as much factual data as you can.) HPFP Failure (flashed "Engine Fault Workshop" as it shut down and coasted to a halt)
Dealer: (ex. SmokeAndMirrors VW or VW of Fallacy Idaho) Towed to Garlyn Shelton, Bryan, TX
Status: (still pending, dealer fixed everything, resolved, dealer refused, paid out of pocket) Still pending. Parts ordered; will likely be repaired in about 10 days. Service writer says they checked fuel for evidence of RUG, finding none. Took a canister of fuel to send to VW of A. Costs of repairs to be covered by VWofA. Not sure yet who will cover the $$$$ of rental car, tow service, return trip of 400+ miles to get it when it is repaired (suspect that coverage will be out of my pocket). Darned inconvenient and unsafe being left out in the 105 F Texas heat with a couple of passengers.
Old August 19th, 2011, 15:32   #59
drckol

Fuel Economy: Only have 150 miles on it.

09 Jetta TDI. 47,500 mi. Glow plug and engine light on. Drive to OReilleys for diagnosis. Fuel pump problem. Car would not start. Towedto Autobahn VW in Fort Worth. HPFP failure. Would need major repair as all the above cases. Scotty, a tech there, was very polite and knowledgeable.Said he would call me aftertalking to VW of N.A.. Called me back and said I wascovered underwarranty. Very good outfit Autobahn of Fort Worth.
drckol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 11:07   #60
paramedick
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor

Build Date: ??? 2009
Make/Model: Jetta Sedan
Tranny: DSG, 6M 6M
Mileage: (actual miles at time of problem or when problem began) 32XXX
Diesel Fuel Source: (Shell, Exxon, etc.) Thronton's (local brand)
Additives: (Yes/No) No
Problem: (HPFP failed, fuel canister rusted, etc. Give as much factual data as you can.) HPFP Failure. 9/2/11. Wife driving, had loss of power, flashing glowplug light, and "critical engine fault" message. Parked and shut down while still running. VCDS details low fuel rail pressure error message.
Dealer: Towed to Don Jacobs VW, Lexington, KY
Status: (still pending, dealer fixed everything, resolved, dealer refused, paid out of pocket)Pending, VW being jerks
Costs of repairs to be covered by VWofA. Service manager and I agree fuel pump is failing. He just wants to order the parts and replace the fuel system. Metal found throughout fuel system. However, VWoA made them do multiple fuel filter changes, and the codes cleared and power came back. Dealer ordered to return it to us. Plan is to run it until system fails. Metal in system well documented on repair order. Picked up 9/6/11
UPDATE: 09/11/11 Car failed while driving, being towed to dealership as I type......fixed, failed fuel pump relay. Meanwhile tick, tick, tick........

Last edited by paramedick; September 13th, 2011 at 18:18.
paramedick is offline   Reply With Quote