www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old December 3rd, 2010, 11:27   #31
Nickofari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver02TDI View Post
I thought a nice list summarizing every failure reported here could maybe be useful to some people here for myriad reasons. I'll use the following format:

User: Nickofari
Car: 2009 Jetta TDI JSW, blue, 6 speed manual
Build: July 2008
Failure: December 2009
Mileage: 22,000 miles
Outcome: Insurance covered it. Dealership contributed to deductible
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=268190
Apologies for being (very) late to the game here, but wanted to provide a point of clarification/update to my experience.

First, I am not sure my issue can be technically characterized as a HPFP failure. The key diagnosis for the entire fuel system replacement was, "Fuel Contamination," where the canister had rust in it - and the fuel that was extracted from the tank and fuel canister had some water in it. It appeared as though it had been in the system long enough to rust the inside of the canister. That said, I believe the HPFP was replaced as part of the repair (which was covered by my insurance company).

Second, I just hit 40K miles, and have had the fuel canister inspected at 10K intervals to look for any sign of contamination/rust/HPFP failure. Nothing so far.

Last, I have all of the fuel system parts stored in my garage. I really don't want them. Anyone in this thread interested in taking them? I am in Southern New Hampshire.

Regards,
Nick
Nickofari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 07:50   #32
pjcan

Fuel Economy: 52 on Frw. 45 combined
Smile HPFP on 2009 Jetta

Year - 2009
Build Date -
Model - Jetta
Tranny - DSG
Mileage - 20,900
Fuel Source - Chevron Station in Napa, CA, almost always the same pump!
Additives - No
Problem - Driving home from work, passed slower car with no problem, then sudden loss of power, car does 40 mph only, Glow Plug warning lamp comes on, limp home. Next day drive to work car starts but no power still, warning on dash. Make to work but it won't start again. Call Dealer and they send Tow Truck. They repeatedly tell my wife, her car, that she must have put gasoline in it. She has had a 96 Passat TDI for 10 years and then this Jetta for 2 years and has NEVER even come close to putting gas in. Long story short they do the styro foam cup test, in my presence, no melty.
BTW - I saw the metal particles in the fuel in the cup,
I mentioned that this has been a recurring problem of the HPFP and is on the TDI club site. From that point on they have done the right thing providing a brand new Subaru Impresa as a loaner, keeping us updated, ordering the parts in and putting their best, obsessive mechanic on it. It happened 18 days ago and the car is ready today, Dec. 7, 2010. Complete replacement of the Fuel System from tank to injectors. Thank you Hanlee VW in Napa and VW of America!

Now my wife has to get her trust back, she loves (loved?) this car!

Dealer - Hanlee of Napa, CA

Status - done
pjcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 17:47   #33
smokeskleen

TDI(s): Audi A3
Unhappy HPFP Failure - 2010 Audi A3 TDI

Year: 2010
Build Date: Update
Later (Ordered 12/2009, Delivered 03/2010)
Make/Model: Audi A3 TDI

Tranny: S tronic
Mileage: 11,300 miles
Diesel Fuel Source: Valero, Rotten Robbie
Additives: (Yes/No) No
Problem: HPFP Failure - Dealer says “Fuel pump exploded sending chard's of metal throughout fuel system”, Sudden loss of power, glow plug warning lamp on then minutes later stalled and unable to start again, towed to dealership, approx 150 miles from last fuel up until failure.

Dealer: Audi Livermore
As of 12/10 dealer ordering parts for entire fuel system and repairing under warranty
. When I ask the dealer "What are the chances of the fuel pump failing again?" Dealers response was "You have a better chance of winning the lottery!"

Last edited by smokeskleen; December 13th, 2010 at 09:28.
smokeskleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 16:43   #34
iwegian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwegian View Post
Year: 2009
Build Date:
Make/Model: Jetta Sportwagon TDI

Tranny: 6M
Mileage:25500
Diesel Fuel Source: Shell at home, on road mostly Shell. BP in the tank when it failed
Additives: (Yes/No) no
Problem: no problems, just returned from 750 mile round trip. Filled with BP ULSD at half tank. Previous was Murphy station. All Shell for 10 receipts before that. 25 miles after return flashing glow plug, wife was near an exit and able to limp off freeway while cars whizzed past. Towed to dealer.
Dealer: Boucher VW Franklin Wisconsin
Status: Still pending after they held up a coke bottle filled with "funny colored" Diesel fuel (my sample from tank was not funny colored) stating that means it will not be covered by VW. No testing done yet. Have called VWoA, filed with NHSTA. Last 2 fillups stations told about "contamination" they report no other complaints. Holding off on Attorney General and BBB etc until I hear from VWoA. Am already warning everyone I know, getting many horror stories from coworkers etc of VW weaseling out of warranty work. Too bad. Great car...but I don't trust this car anymore...not to mention VW
Well, we won the lottery. This car after having fuel system totally replaced AT MY COST at Boucher VW in Franklin Wisconsin (they scratched the fenders really bad during the fix, left the seat up and the rear carpet up so the tank was exposed and it would not start when we picked it up) has failed again about 50 to 75 miles later. My suspicion is that this rather questionable service department neglected to prime the pump/get air out of cannister....which is why it would not start. Again the HPFP replaced. This time they did not replace the fuel system, only the pump.
iwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 20:28   #35
Whodathunkit50

TDI(s): 2010 JSW
Fuel Economy: 0 JSW in the shop since 12/21/10
Question 10' JSW Contaminated fuel = HFPF failure

Build Date:
Make/Model: JSW
Mileage: 29,000
Diesel Fuel Source: BP in north Florida coming back from WV....
Additives: No
Problem: (Possible HPFP failure, fuel canister rusted and dealer says the injectors are probably (not yet tested) toast as well.
Dealer: One in Miami
Status: Still pending, Insurance is currently involved and as always there are plenty of 'out of pocket' expenses. Fuel samples are at the lab... waiting on results, plenty of water and particulate matter was evident in the sample from the fuel filter bowl, I then made the realization that the majority of the contamination in the fuel filter canister was left there by the mechanic who had made an attempt to clean surface rust from the canister and had not drained and flushed it.

Last edited by Whodathunkit50; February 3rd, 2011 at 12:09. Reason: Clarification
Whodathunkit50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 20:56   #36
Houston2010tdi

TDI(s): 2010 JSW TDI
Fuel Economy: 37 mpg avg w/24,000 Miles
Default 2010 JSW TDI - HPFP Failure on Jan 21, 2011

Build Date:
First set of JSW TDI shipped to US Oct/Nov 2009
Make/Model: JSW

Tranny: ?

Mileage: 24,000

Diesel Fuel Source: 90% Shell in Houston, Tx

Problem: Metal Contamination of Fuel (Complete failure HPFP & Fuel Injectors) Dealer in process of complete replacement of Tank all the way down to Fuel Injectors
($6K-$8K Cost)
Dealer: One in Houston, TX

Picture of Fuel Filter (more pictures to follow as I get them) - Lots of shiny metal flakes and rusty/brown particles
http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/...FuelFilter.jpg

Last edited by Houston2010tdi; January 25th, 2011 at 21:20. Reason: Add Subject
Houston2010tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 11:57   #37
AMT1281

Year:2009
Build Date:Not Sure (still at dealer)

Make/Model:VW Jetta
Tranny:6M
Mileage: Approx. 25000
Diesel Fuel Source: Mobil
Additives: (Yes/No) NO
Problem: Water in fuel and filter,Fuel pump failure
Dealer: Langan VW Glastonbury,CT
Status: Had towed to dealership after dying at an intersection(drove for 40 min. on highway before that with no problems and then sat in garage for 30 min. before dying on way to work) on 2/3/11,heard today that there was water in fuel and ice in fuel filter,fuel pump blew.$6000 to $8000 to repair.Waiting for authorization from corporate to continue.
AMT1281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 08:24   #38
Matt_Man

TDI(s): 09 Jetta

incedent from may of 2010

Year:2009
Build Date:11-08
Make/Model:
jetta

Tranny: DSG
Mileage: 25,737
Diesel Fuel Source: Shell, Exxon, bp
Additives: (No)
Problem: Emission light came on, dealer diagnosed as a fuel pressure sensor. dealer replace fuel sensor a few days later. About week later the emission light came on again. Dealer found contamination in fuel system (they showed me a picture of a component (filter housing?)it looked brown and they said it was rust, though I don't think it looked like rust), they said it was due to "bad gas".
Dealer: Fitzgerald, Frederick MD
Matt_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2011, 07:10   #39
cankicker

Build Date: not sure, at dealer
Make/Model: Jetta Sportwagen
Mileage: 24650
Diesel Fuel Source: (BP, Sunoco, Interstate)
Additives: (No)
Problem: Was running great, then suddenly died (Glow plug and Check Engine). Towed to VW and will cost 7k to replace clean and replace the entire fuel system due to metal shavings that the dealer claims happened when gasoline was introduced into the tank.
Dealer: KING Volkswagen, Gaithersburg, MD
Status: Sitting in lot, awaiting VW case manager review since dealer will not honor warranty (stay away from King. Horrible service and attitude).
Dealer claims this is not covered by warranty. Contacted VW America and they have assigned a "case manager" to look into it. If they rule against me, I will be seeking legal assistance and selling as soon as possible. It's a shame since I really liked my Wagen, but will be afraid to travel knowing bad fuel on the road could leave me stranded again and then who will fix this?

The car has had a lot of issues since new. I had the DSG recall at around 10k when they did the first service. The at 20k they pinched the oil filter O ring and lost all oil on my garage floor the next day. Took it back and they replaced the ring and oil. The next day again there was more oil, and they re-replaced the ring. A few days later, I took it back due to a burnt smell to find out the oil pan blanket was soaked. Took a few days to get the part in and return to replace. Now this.

Last edited by cankicker; February 22nd, 2011 at 07:45.
cankicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 12:09   #40
asrnj77

TDI(s): Jetta TDI

2010 Jetta TDI
11,080 miles
DSG Transmission

The car got about $20 of diesel from Lukoil on rt.9 in Howell, NJ. My wife drove around for about 75 miles. That night I get in the car and drive 25 yards and the car dies. Won't restart. Call VW roadside assistance and they tow it World VW in Neptune, NJ. The service department says bad fuel is the culprit. Metal shavings found in the tank and fuel lines. They quote me a repair bill of $4700 and say it is not covered under warranty. I call my insurance company and they send an investigator out to sample the fuel. World VW says they already drained the tank and don't have a sample. Insurance agrees to pay them $5200 (with me paying a $500 deductible). Call the shop today and the price continues to creep up to $5331.74). They said they flushed and cleaned the tank, replaced the HPFP, new injectors and fuel filter and flushed the line. They happily told me that they did a software recall that VW had put out unrelated to my issue. Now I am out $ and didn't have the car for 3 weeks. They are not winning any new fans here
asrnj77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2011, 12:27   #41
ubercam
Veteran Member

*Note: This is all second hand info from my parents over the phone

Year:
Build Date: ?
Make/Model: Jetta Wagon
Mileage: ~45,000km
Diesel Fuel Source: Ste. Anne Co-Op
Problem: The gas station attendant filled the car with gas despite being told to fill with diesel. My mom must have paid for someone else's diesel fill and didn't realize and drove home (1-2 mins, 1.2km). Almost immediately the car felt sluggish and wasn't running right but she managed to get parked in the garage. She got called in to work later that night and the car wouldn't start and all kinds of warnings and lights came on.
Dealer: St. James VW, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Status: The next morning, my parents called the gas station and the owner didn't believe them until he reviewed his security tapes and saw the attendant grab the gas hose and start filling... He quickly arranged a tow to a repair shop and they checked it out and confirmed gas in the tank. He also called Autopac (insurance) and they are handling the claim and are towing the car to Autohaus VW in Winnipeg for analysis, but last I heard, it hadn't arrived there yet. If the repairs are too costly, Autopac will write it off and if they're going to repair it, they'll pay then bill the gas station's business liability insurance for their costs. In the meantime my mom has a rental through her loss of use cover and the gas station's owner is paying the extra costs for the 0 deductible coverage out of pocket. He's an incredibly nice guy and has been extremely helpful throughout this ordeal and I wouldn't want to dissuade anyone from buying fuel from him so I'm not going to mention exactly which gas station aside from the fuel source. It was a simple, but costly mistake by his employee.

I'll post updates as and when.

Update (Apr 1, 2011): The gas station's insurance company accepted full responsibility. The car finally got to Autohaus VW in Winnipeg. Autopac sent down their own mechanic to talk with VW's guys. Since the car was warning about extremely high oil pressure, they're not sure how or if it will even run after the fuel system is replaced at $6000 in parts and $2000-$3000 in labour. Autopac concluded that they will go ahead and replace the fuel system. Once they do that, they'll see if it'll start or run properly.. basically $9000 for a diagnostic test. If it fails, it's a write off.

My mom wants it written off regardless because she doesn't want to argue with VW in the future about any trouble with the engine and it's highly unlikely that they'll honour any future warranty claims on the engine due to the circumstances. She bought an expensive extended warranty when she bought the car but doesn't want it completely neutered through no fault of her own. If the car will definitely be fixed, she wants the warranty to be underwritten by someone guaranteeing that any future claims will be handled without fuss or argument.

Update (Apr 8, 2011): The car was fixed by Autohaus and paid for by the gas station's insurance. My mom picked it up and got a flashing glow plug light and check engine light and message saying "Major Fault: Workshop" after a few km. It was running, but in limp mode. She got it home and I hooked it up VCDS and found that the turbo actuator was shot. It was towed back to the dealer and replaced under warranty. I drove the car afterwards and it drives like new. Fingers crossed it stays that way. VW says there's no reason why the warranty won't be honoured, and unless they were just being nice due to the circumstances (doubtful!), they actually meant it.

Last edited by ubercam; April 13th, 2011 at 15:58. Reason: Updated info
ubercam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 18:47   #42
dr.freud

TDI(s): JSW

Build Date: 1/09
Make/Model: Sportwagen
Mileage: 17K
Diesel Fuel Source: Shell & Chevron primarily
Problem: HPFP & related parts
Dealer: VW dealer in NorCal.
JSW failed/stalled entering intersection without warning, "workshop" light illuminated. Towed to dealer and was diagnosed and repaired under warranty. Pump, injectors, tank, lines, etc. Service writers didn't have too much knowledge or information on the subject but were helpful, hopefully their mechanics were more informed on these systems. This occurred less than 500 miles after same dealership performed 20K service & fuel filter replacement. I had requested to be sure VCDS was used to prime the fuel system, and to advise me on condition of the used filter. They reported back that everything looked fine at that service. NHTSA report filed. Part # on replacement pump listed as typical 03L130755A on supplied service invoice. 9 calendar days start-to-finish on repairs.

03 2500HD Duramax 230K+

Last edited by dr.freud; March 31st, 2011 at 20:28.
dr.freud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 11:09   #43
patdavid

TDI(s): 2011 JSW 6M

Year: 2011
Build Date: not sure
Make/Model: Jetta Sportwagen
Tranny: DSG, 6M 6M
Mileage: (actual miles at time of problem or when problem began) 2303
Diesel Fuel Source: (Shell, Exxon, etc.) Chevron/Texaco
Additives: (Yes/No) No
Problem: (HPFP failed, fuel canister rusted, etc. Give as much factual data as you can.) HPFP failed (per dealer on phone)
Dealer: (ex. SmokeAndMirrors VW or VW of Fallacy Idaho) Dean McCrary VW - Mobile, AL
Status: (still pending, dealer fixed everything, resolved, dealer refused, paid out of pocket) still pending
patdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 11:35   #44
Scratcher
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patdavid View Post
Mileage: (actual miles at time of problem or when problem began) 2303
is that 2,303 or 23.03?

Scratcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2011, 18:32   #45
rte2MA
Veteran Member

Build date: 03/10
Make/Model: Golf TDI 2-door
Mileage: 17500
Diesel Fuel Source: Mobil in MA
Additives: None
Problem: First failure in Dec 2010 on a highway going uphill. Car gradually lost power and stopped - felt like it ran out of fuel. Towed it back to the dealer. The dealership could not reproduce the problem and said maybe it was a frozen fuel line (temps were below 10 degrees). I drove it without any problems for another 6 weeks and then the exact same thing happened at 18800 miles. Towed it back to the dealer. This time they gave me a loaner and held onto my car. They were eventually able to reproduce the problem after letting the engine run a few hours and they determined that the fuel pump was at fault. They replaced the fuel pump under warranty. Bad fuel not suspected - excellent service.
Dealer: Noyes VW, Keene NH
Status: At 23500 miles the glow plug light came on along with a brief loss of power going up another hill. But this time the car seemed to recover. Took it into the dealer and they decided to replace fuel pump relays which had to be ordered. I drove the car for another 700 miles without any problems before taking it back for the new relays. However, the check engine light did go on the day before I took it in. They cleared the code, acknowledged that some cars were having fuel pump issues, and told me to get in touch right away if anything else went wrong.
rte2MA is offline   Reply With Quote