a heads up for operating uphill in traffic etc

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
had a second scare and would like to share,, while in traffic going up hill, I had my foot on the brake, and started to touch the gas as traffic started to move. bad idea, as you touch the gas to load up the rpm's,with the brake on the engine will cut, and the car will start to roll back, by the time you say *** and get on the brake or it resets and allows you to accelerate, you could have bumped the driver behind you,, I came within an inch I bet of buying a bumper for someone today,

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Confused. Doesn't your Mk7 hold the vehicle in place on an incline, so you can remove your foot from the brake pedal, and accelerate smoothly away and uphill without any rollback? Maybe this isn't a TDI, since you mentioned a gas pedal? All our TDIs (previous and current) have cut the throttle if you raise the RPMs while holding the brake pedal- it's an ECM safety feature, right?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
DSG or MT is the biggest question

Hill hold is activated on both DSG and MT standard.

Either way you shouldn't need to eat up the clutch and load the RMPS trying to take off on a hill.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Do you have a DSG and you're trying to use your left foot on the brake pedal and your right foot on the throttle?

From what you describe, it sounds like that must be what you're doing.

Normally, the brake hold feature should keep the brakes on as you move your right foot from the brake pedal to the gas pedal. As soon as you press the gas, the brakes release and the car starts moving.

On the other hand, if you were to press the gas pedal with your right foot, and try to apply light brake pressure with your left foot, but not enough to hold the car on the hill, then what would happen is the engine would return to idle (ignoring your right foot) and you would roll backwards.

So, if it's a DSG, drive with one foot and you should have no problems, unless something is wrong with the car.

clacker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Trendline, 2000 Jetta TDI auto, 2008 Mercedes R320, 2006 smart fortwo cdi
The hill hold is only for a preset time, mine rolls back in our driveway before the DSG has a chance to engage reverse or drive when cold and first taking off. It is annoying and complained several times. Our smart car is the same, well even worse as it has less power and even slower reactions.
I can imagine how bad this could be in traffic, got stuck once on a steep hill with DSG, it cuts throttle and you stop, then spin and do it all over again (15% grade, cold and several inches snow packed down). There are certain situations that the car is not smart enough for...

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
Pull the handbrake if you can't feel the engagement with the clutch.

Unless you have the wrong transmission, I can't help you there.