www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old November 14th, 2017, 09:44   #16
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

In this instance, the wire harness change happened several times (there are actually EIGHT BRM engine harnesses listed), however they distill down to just a handful: early or late, manual or automatic.

Some have been obsoleted though, so you may not even have the option of getting a new one anymore. The last one I had was NLA, and I ended up spending a half day repairing the darn thing.

I am not familiar with the nature of your problem, can you explain more? Maybe I can help.

1J0-973-713 is a contact housing, not a harness.
Old November 15th, 2017, 10:38   #17
FletchMan
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
In this instance, the wire harness change happened several times (there are actually EIGHT BRM engine harnesses listed), however they distill down to just a handful: early or late, manual or automatic.

Some have been obsoleted though, so you may not even have the option of getting a new one anymore. The last one I had was NLA, and I ended up spending a half day repairing the darn thing.

I am not familiar with the nature of your problem, can you explain more? Maybe I can help.

1J0-973-713 is a contact housing, not a harness.

One of the OBDii I got way back when was P0670. In searching the forums, I found this thread so I thought I would pull the bumper and see if this was the cause of my issue. In doing so, I couldn't find what you had pictures of on my 2006. I did find the other item, 1J0-973-713, that looked similar but clearly isn't what you are referencing. I'm still looking for the glow plug harness you referenced to see if it's my problem. Through VCDS I get P3338 so I'm not sure if this or isn't related.
FletchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 10:40   #18
FletchMan
Veteran Member

Oh, and another reason I'm now looking into this is because I believe the glow plug control module is one of the 50 amp fuses under the hood...which is drawing current when it should be asleep.
Old November 15th, 2017, 11:01   #19
oilhammer

If I had a BRM car here today I could take a picture. It is one of the plugs (the only plugs) on the engine harness that crosses near the starter. If your car is an automatic, the transmission will have its own harness, that goes to a round plug on the transmission near the starter, that is NOT the harness for the engine.

Glow system problems on the BRM are very, very rare. Even the plugs themselves are not nearly as failure prone as the other PD and VE engines are.

The later BRMs have the 4 glow plug wires in a larger 14 pin plug, but only 9 of the pins are populated. 3 little pins, and 6 large pins (4 of the larger ones are the glow plug circuits). The glow plug wires are all black, but each has its own color stripe: red, blue, gree, and white. These are in slots 5, 6, 7, and 8 in that 14 pin connector.

It is near the starter, in a holder. It is by itself.

The J179 Glow Plug Control Module is all by itself, in a slide out holder, underneath the underhood fusebox. You have to remove the battery to get at it.

Last edited by oilhammer; November 15th, 2017 at 11:04.
oilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 11:24   #20
FletchMan
Veteran Member

Quote:

The later BRMs have the 4 glow plug wires in a larger 14 pin plug, but only 9 of the pins are populated. 3 little pins, and 6 large pins (4 of the larger ones are the glow plug circuits). The glow plug wires are all black, but each has its own color stripe: red, blue, gree, and white. These are in slots 5, 6, 7, and 8 in that 14 pin connector.

I think this must be what I have as I saw something similar when searching. It looked ok.

I still have a glow plug module problem according to VCDS but maybe I can eliminate this one possibility. I also have an at rest draw through a 50 amp fuse that I can't quite identify but think it might be the glow plug fuse.

This may also be the cause of the fire this car is about to have.

Thanks for the response!
Old November 15th, 2017, 11:27   #21
oilhammer

Never seen it on a Volkswagen, but I have seen some older MB products (Sprinters, usually) where their glow module would stay stuck on and kill the battery. Not totally on, just not totally off either.
Old November 15th, 2017, 11:34   #22
FletchMan
Veteran Member

Quote:
Never seen it on a Volkswagen, but I have seen some older MB products (Sprinters, usually) where their glow module would stay stuck on and kill the battery. Not totally on, just not totally off either.

I should have said that I have two fifty amp fuses under the hood (in a row of 4 larger fuses 2 are 40 and 2 are 50), one of which is for glow plugs and the other that can't be identified after a lot of searching. That battery drain issue is probably something else but I do know that this 50 amp fuse is pulling .1mV at rest - which is about 50 milliamps on a 40 amp fuse according to the TSB matrix...so it's causing a problem.

Actually, I was trying more to correct the glow plug issue that's showing up in VCDS but started thinking the two problems may be related.
Old November 15th, 2017, 14:18   #23
oilhammer

Well there is a 50A fuse that feeds the glow plugs, #27 in the underhood panel but I believe it is one of the main links on the front cannot remember and Alldata is conveniently missing that page

Easy enough to check, though, as once you get the glow relay out you'll see the big main power wire (red or red w/ white stripe I think) that should be hot at all times. See where that wire goes in your fuse box via a quick Ohm check (you will have the battery out anyway, so you shouldn't be able to hurt anything with this quick check) and see if that is part of your drain.
Old November 15th, 2017, 17:07   #24
FletchMan
Veteran Member

Great. Thanks. If only I could think of the 'easy' stuff!