GKN / Loebro boots

timsch

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Mk4 Jetta (blue), 2003 Mk4 Jetta (black), 2011 Mk6 Jetta, all manuals
How is the quality of these? Are they China-made? Forum posts from 10 years ago indicate they were quality. The price I see here makes me wonder if that has changed.

thanks.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
That's pretty cheap!
But for only 4-5 times the price you can get OEM VW.
For such an important part (that we already know can last a couple decades),
which to buy is a no-brainer IMHO.

timsch

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Mk4 Jetta (blue), 2003 Mk4 Jetta (black), 2011 Mk6 Jetta, all manuals
Yeah, it seems too good to be true. Definitely not a job I want to do again in a couple of years.

kreibach

Veteran Member
TDI
sold my 03 :-(
Even the VW inner ones are rubber and this looks like rubber too. Certainly there is different quality in rubbers, but i'd do it.

If it were the outers then I'd say no way because in my experience only the urethane material will last. I put cheap rubber on the outers and they only lasted a year.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I asked the question to IDparts guys about the GKN brand and they seem to be really happy with the quality (IndigoBlueWagon). I asked the question because I was in the market for LCA's and bushings, as well as sway bar links and ball joints. When I hopped on their site, a lot of their stuff had switched to Spidan/GKN.

They were an OEM provider for a long time it sounds like years ago (maybe still?). I received all the parts and installed, they looked and felt quality, time will tell how they hold up. Apparently they have the parts on a lot of the cars those guys that work @ID have and haven't seemed to have any issues.

I'd say give them a try.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Its the wrong axle nut for the A4 ...no washer face. Wonder if the joint bolts are the right length. I have found some of the aftermarket boot kits have bolts that are just a bit shorter than the OEM and that ain't cool. They don't enter the drive flange very far as it is.

Hmmm...
Could it be that the boot is Loebro but the accessory items are an assembled kit of off-fitting parts?
10 bucks + shipping gets you an answer.

Hyde7278

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GL
GKN has made the axles for year for VW. There here in MI

I bought a 01 German import GTI from them a few years ago. They used it for a test car for the driveline parts. To bad I couldn’t register it for road use had to part it out.
Did get a 6 speed trans and a good 1.8t motor.. also put the larger brakes and the recaro interior on my TDI.